First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S (JL)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
So do I seriously have to remove the grill from the Jeep just to change out a lightbulb on one of my headlights??? I had a light go out and all I can seem to find says I have to pull off the grill to change it. If this is true, the engineer who came up with that needs to be punched in the throat!
Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
No. I changed both my bulbs out without taking the grill off. Just go to YouTube and search quick. Easy 5 minute job unless you have huge hands.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
For what its worth, the grill comes off super easy. It sounds worse than it is. I took it off to make installing my winch easier. I was super worried about it but it literally takes minutes to take off and put back. If I didn't have to (like to change the light), I wouldn't. But if its going to add tons of time, just take it off.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It takes 30 minutes to change a headlamp in my VW. They are in a tunnel that is too small for adult hands. And their mounting system requires aligning an adaptor, pushing and twisting in that tight space. Hand comes out bloody. Who knew German engineers like pain. Other vehicles you have to take the fender liner off or completely remove the headlamp assembly. The Wrangler is very easy.

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have mentioned, with a trim tool I can have the grill off in under 5 minutes. By contrast, replacing the passenger side bulb on my brother's GMC dually involves the removal of the battery and the air filter box!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Worst part about removing the grill is the first time you try it you think something is going to break or crack. But other than that bit of terror, it's
that 2 minute job that @Fire Burns mentioned :)

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S (JL)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Thanks for the feedback all!

Easy 5 minute job unless you have huge hands.
I have large hands and tried to get them down there. Not a chance that was ever going to happen!

I have some time tomorrow, so I’ll pull the grill tomorrow. I watched some YouTube videos about it. None of them showed the clips across the bottom though. Do I need to worry about those breaking when I do this? Should I have some replacement on hand before I yank this thing off? Or are they actually designed for this?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No. Pulled my grille at least 50 times and no problems.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

I have large hands and tried to get them down there. Not a chance that was ever going to happen!

I have some time tomorrow, so I’ll pull the grill tomorrow. I watched some YouTube videos about it. None of them showed the clips across the bottom though. Do I need to worry about those breaking when I do this? Should I have some replacement on hand before I yank this thing off? Or are they actually designed for this?
You'll be fine, just apply the force to the lower half of the grill since that's where most of the clips are. And when reinstalling, just a few firm pounds with the back of your fist will seat those clips back in. You can angle the grill outward to be sure you have those clips lined up prior to unleashing your mayhem :)

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Quick, strong pulls strait out and you’ll be fine. I’ve taken the grill off, the dash, and all the interior plastics and haven’t broken one clip. Just don’t pry or pull sideways.
Sponsored