Serious question about bumpers

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
After talking to a Jeeping buddy I immediately changed out my 2016 JKU bumpers for super strong rock slide engineering ones. Now I’m getting a new rubicon with steel bumpers from the factory. Is there a real reason people change these bumpers out or is just for looks? Nothing wrong with that but I like the stock ones as a shorty and may keep them. If there is a structural reason though then off they go.
Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
There's no major practical reason, mostly for aesthetics. There may be a winch or two that don't fit, but I'm not aware of any. The fact that it easily converts to a stubby is a big plus. It's not that heavy compared to many. There is lots of aftermarket support and it has room for lights, brush guards, antennas, etc. It doesn't easily rust and can be touched up with Rustoleum Textured Black pretty easily.

I think it's a good bumper, but I'm damn glad others change theirs so we don't all look the same.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
After talking to a Jeeping buddy I immediately changed out my 2016 JKU bumpers for super strong rock slide engineering ones. Now I’m getting a new rubicon with steel bumpers from the factory. Is there a real reason people change these bumpers out or is just for looks? Nothing wrong with that but I like the stock ones as a shorty and may keep them. If there is a structural reason though then off they go.
Stock steel bumper, Warn Zeon 12S, ARB Lights and it works just fine with 35’s and no lift. I would even go as far as saying you could do 37’s and no, or a small, lift and still be fine. But if you are going to do a big lift, axles and +40’s, then it is possibly going to be a clearance problem.

C2351DFE-CBC7-4C5E-9FDC-41177D25BDF0.jpeg

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Other reasons for replacing the factory steel bumper besides appearance:
  1. To have better tow points. Aftermarket bumpers are designed with:
    1. Tabs to attach a shackle (things can slip off hooks at the worst moment)
    2. Tabs to attach a towing bar so the Jeep can be towed behind another vehicle
  2. Some winches don't fit factory bumper
  3. To accommodate very large tires
  4. To have a lighter weight, non-rusting aluminum bumper
  5. To have more lighting mount options
  6. Better grille protection, stinger bars, etc.
That said, there is nothing wrong with the steel bumper if you don't need a better bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Overwatch

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Other reasons for replacing the factory steel bumper besides appearance:
  1. To have better tow points. Aftermarket bumpers are designed with:
    1. Tabs to attach a shackle (things can slip off hooks at the worst moment)
    2. Tabs to attach a towing bar so the Jeep can be towed behind another vehicle
  2. Some winches don't fit factory bumper
  3. To accommodate very large tires
  4. To have a lighter weight, non-rusting aluminum bumper
  5. To have more lighting mount options
  6. Better grille protection, stinger bars, etc.
That said, there is nothing wrong with the steel bumper if you don't need a better bumper.
I hadn’t thought about the tabs for shackles. That’s a huge one for me….good call.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The rear bumper is weak where the license plate mounts. There is an opening stamped in the steel behind the plastic filler plate. A small hit on the left side will bend it and possibly cause body damage. Jeep should have made it a solid stamping or made a steel plate to bolt behind it to reinforce it.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I ordered mine with the plastic bumper and will be going aftermarket for a few reasons. I want shackle tabs instead of hooks, I think the factory steel bumper clashes with the wrangler styling, and some bumpers have cutouts designed for hilift jacks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The front bumper good.

The rear steel factory bumper is junk. If you wheel and drop off ledges, expect on the minimum that you will rip your license plate mount off, and worst case the rear bumper will flex up into the tub and damage the Jeep causing an expensive bodyshop bill.

If you just do light wheeling, you should be fine.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Recovery points up front.
Places to use a hi-lift (if ya got one)
Stronger
Higher clearance
True stubby

Those fancy red open ended hooks on the front of the Rubicon are a bit on the dangerous side. It creates an opening in what should be a closed loop system. If slack gets in a rope or line and detaches from that open hook, bad things can happen. Some situations that detachment could have dire effects. Never been a fan of open hooks.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Stock steel bumper, Warn Zeon 12S, ARB Lights and it works just fine with 35’s and no lift. I would even go as far as saying you could do 37’s and no, or a small, lift and still be fine. But if you are going to do a big lift, axles and +40’s, then it is possibly going to be a clearance problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL Serious question about bumpers C2351DFE-CBC7-4C5E-9FDC-41177D25BDF0
I left the wings on when I had 35's at both stock height and with the Dynatrac Endurosport true 2" lift. When I went to 38's on the same lift I had to remove the wings to turn to full lock. Plenty of clearance with the mopar front steel bumper in stubby mode.
Jeep Wrangler JL Serious question about bumpers 20211013_132700

I fully agree with what wibornz said about the rear steel bumper. It will definitely cause body damage if hit from below. I went with the Cavfab Ultra High Clearance bumper. It's much stronger, doesn't hang as low, and has shackle mounting tabs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Serious question about bumpers 20210117_135607_resized

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The stock steel bumper is made by a very reputable manufacturer and is, in my opinion, one of the best bumper options. I wouldn't change it. If it wasn't so expensive I would have put it on my JL instead of a Warn Crawler Stubby. It's a great option, especially if you already paid for it.

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
The front steel bumper is a very good bumper and works for most. Many who change, do it for a different look. I ran the factory front on my JKU, but I beat the holy hell out of it as my wheeling escalated to the more extreme trails, since it is fairly big and sticks out quite a bit. I switched that one out for a frame chop and tiny Savvy aluminum, which works better for the extreme stuff I do with that rig. Our JLUR is going to be more of a TOAD, daily driver and lighter trail rig, so we'll stick with the factory steel bumper until our needs change.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I hadn’t thought about the tabs for shackles. That’s a huge one for me….good call.
Look into soft-shackles. Been a game changer for me - I like them

Other thoughts - I think the front bumper was done really well and with a lot of engineering/usage thought into it. The rear bumper may be a problem for serious offroading/rock crawlers but will be sufficient for 80+ percent of people out there

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
As an option, Maximus 3 makes a set of add on shackle tabs.
Sponsored