First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rescue Green, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Can anyone give me ideas on where to attach my trailer brake Emergency Breakaway cable? I've been told not to attach it to the receiver (with the tow chains) at all. I have the stock plastic rear bumper. Hopefully that will change in the near future, but right now I can't see a place to attach that little carabiner that isn't on the receiver.

What are you all doing for the breakaway cable attachment point? Pics help as I'm not mechanically inclined.
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
I’ve honestly never heard that, I’ve always been told and hooked the breakaway cable to one of the safety chain points on the receiver.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
I know, me too. I'm on a certain RV forum and this topic came up. There are a few first-person horror stories of cracked frame, bumper, and/or receiver breaking completely off. Granted these aren't Wranglers, but some of them are trucks. Right now it's on the receiver like it has been for a thousand miles (through Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Texas) until I can find a better spot.

Here's a published story (no one I know):

https://campaddict.com/deadly-towing-mistake/

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I run mine through the chain hookup loop on the hitch receiver and then back to the camper where I hook the carabiner (my cable is pretty long).

I just can’t imagine a situation where even with a hitch breakaway it wouldn’t pull the cable, mine comes out pretty easily.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Thank you Jgeiken. I'm wondering if I'm just an over-cautious type. It's looking like worrying about this is kinda like worrying whether a jet flying over will lose an engine and have it fall right on my Jeep.

Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thank you Jgeiken. I'm wondering if I'm just an over-cautious type. It's looking like worrying about this is kinda like worrying whether a jet flying over will lose an engine and have it fall right on my Jeep.
I don’t see a reason you couldn’t wrap the cable around the frame tube near the hitch and attach it back onto itself. Just make sure there is enough slack that you don’t pull the pin while turning (I’ve made that mistake).

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I just got brakes installed on my hiker trailer and was told to attach the breakaway cable to the pin that holds the hitch adapter on the receiver. Essentially put the pin through the loop at the end of the cable.
Sponsored