Sponsored

Sensor work around with doors off?

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I’m fairly certain I know the answer to this, but hate to assume....

Would having the doors off nearly all month lead to the message in the attached screenshot from the UConnect app (also received it in the monthly Jeep Monthly Vehicle Health Report email)?

883F5A41-964B-4E47-A7FA-5EEF69CBE7EA.jpeg
Sponsored

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
I’m fairly certain I know the answer to this, but hate to assume....

Would having the doors off nearly all month lead to the message in the attached screenshot from the UConnect app (also received it in the monthly Jeep Monthly Vehicle Health Report email)?

883F5A41-964B-4E47-A7FA-5EEF69CBE7EA.jpeg
Yes absolutely!

The monthly report hasn’t caught up with the fact that if blind spot has been offline for a while for good reason — because the doors are off — it is NOT a real problem.

The “Doors Off Device” from Z Automotive resolves this issue by lying to the Jeep about the presence of the doors. The simple device - which plugs in to the door umbilical connectors - is in beta now.

/jim

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Yes absolutely!

The monthly report hasn’t caught up with the fact that if blind spot has been offline for a while for good reason — because the doors are off — it is NOT a real problem.

The “Doors Off Device” from Z Automotive resolves this issue by lying to the Jeep about the presence of the doors. The simple device - which plugs in to the door umbilical connectors - is in beta now.

/jim
I figured as much but thanks for confirming Jim!

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Something that sounds technical, but it's not.
It’s been a few months, any update on this bypass?

So I have the beta test version of the "doors off" devices from Z Automotive. They are male plugs that fit each female receptacle in the Jeep where you plug in the door cables. They each have an additional pigtail coming off the back of the plug for wiring to an LED light if you wish to wire one for the blind-spot detection function.

Work perfect!. Plug them in - Jeep thinks the doors are on -- all features are now back!!

When you want to go real doors on, you remove these devices and plug in the real doors instead.

Don't know when they will be available for sale or the price. I've only seen and am using gadgets for the front doors (my Jeep is a 2-door), but I was told the back ones are also in testing.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The vendor doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get this out. He needs to work out a firmware change via his programmer device so the system doesn't throw an error every 48 hours or so without the doors. It seems the computer doesn't mind so much that there are no doors -- but it doesn't like that it doesn't get a confirmation message from the door locks that they are locked.

Other than that error his simple plug-in bypass product gives the desired results!

I'll email him and see if he has any ETA.

Sponsored

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The BSM circuit seems pretty simple...just jumper the BK/BN and BK pins on the connectors with a similar LED. At that point, it should be transparent as far as the Jeep is concerned. Unless there's some other logic that has to be made (maybe it also has to see the door 'closed'?). But then why would it wait 48 hrs to error...seems odd. Is there more to Z Automotive's connector than just one jumper?

upload_2019-9-7_16-45-17.png

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The device jumps a pair of pins as I recall, and has a second pair with a small resistor jumping them.

The simple device, which plugs in where the door harness goes, does everything we want -- except after a couple days the master computer gets pissed and goes into an error mode on your dash. Takes a reboot of the computer to get another 48 hours..

The master computer gets upset after a few days - his theory last time we spoke was that the main computer expects to be able to auto-lock the doors when you take off, and the door locks probably send back an ack when they have performed the lock instruction. Something like that..

So it's not as simple as jump a few pins.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm working on this right now.

I'm a computer repairman for a living, so basic electrical in a vehicle isn't too far beyond my daily capabilities.

So far I've figured out that the system not only checks for the door to be present (haven't narrowed down how it decides that yet), but it also does need the blind spot alert light to pass its power-on-self-test.

I don't mind being with the blind spot detection (yes by audible alert if no light) but what pisses me off is that we also seem to lose the "Park Sense" parking lot alert feature -- which is a clever thing when you are backing out and can't see past the fat SUV in the parking space next to you.

Why they design a vehicle with removable doors and then disable safety features (and I can't see the logic in them having to disable them with doors-off) escapes me.

WIll let you know if I make progress. I'm pretty stubborn when I get going.

p.s. I already installed new mirrors onto the body of the JL just forward of the doors using a pair of the tried-and-true Rugged Ridge mirror relo brackets for the Jeep JK. I did have to drill one hole through the plastic body of the JL and into the steel A-pillar to complete the mount, but it works awesome now that it's done.
Doors look for latch switch signal and also has secondary if I believe, I can double check

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just heard from Joe Z at ZAutomotive - he has the work on his to-do list but other priorities keep pushing it down.

He does feel motivated to work on it as he also has 200 door jumper plugs sitting there ready to ship!

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The device jumps a pair of pins as I recall, and has a second pair with a small resistor jumping them.

The simple device, which plugs in where the door harness goes, does everything we want -- except after a couple days the master computer gets pissed and goes into an error mode on your dash. Takes a reboot of the computer to get another 48 hours..

The master computer gets upset after a few days - his theory last time we spoke was that the main computer expects to be able to auto-lock the doors when you take off, and the door locks probably send back an ack when they have performed the lock instruction. Something like that..

So it's not as simple as jump a few pins.
Curious about the second jumper/resistor & what pins those are.

Also, seems odd that it would be dependent on seeing auto lock feedback when that's a feature you can enable/disable through the UConnect menu. If that is the case, it also seems like you'd get that error whenever you took the doors off...regardless of BSM status.

Could you post a pic of his connector or ID which pins are jumpered?

Sponsored

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I wouldn't want someone to share my work product like that, sorry.
Understandable...I actually second guessed myself as I was typing that but asked anyway (in the interest of finding a good solution in a timely manner).

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very good.

You’re better off with his product. He was able to source the female plug of the harness in our JL’s (a mystery to me how that’s done!) so his device just plugs in when our doors come off :)

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...I have a suggested trick for all of us:

clearly the designers rarely try to disconnect the door harnesses — that f’in connector is a bitch to get open it’s so tight.

I figured out that if I open the latch and then close the little sliding lock — when I close the latch it isn’t able to go that last couple of millimeters to where it’s such a bitch to open.

Friction holds it closed just fine without the vice-like final couple of millimeters!

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
With the doors off you should be able to hear anyone in your blind spot.
Sponsored