First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H2, Wrangler JL, GL550, Porsche 914-6
Occupation
UHC
Has anyone figured out how to bypass the sensor disable feature with the doors removed. I would love for my blind spot sensors to still work.
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Even with them, I still turn my head to make doggone sure there isn't a lurker in my blind spot. I think it's a problem (?) that won't get any engineering support in the current platform when the obvious answer is to simply turn your head and look.

IowaRaider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Seems like you might be able to get the beep even with doors off if you plugged in a connector with the right jumpers.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
Seems like you might be able to get the beep even with doors off if you plugged in a connector with the right jumpers.
I'm working on this right now.

I'm a computer repairman for a living, so basic electrical in a vehicle isn't too far beyond my daily capabilities.

So far I've figured out that the system not only checks for the door to be present (haven't narrowed down how it decides that yet), but it also does need the blind spot alert light to pass its power-on-self-test.

I don't mind being with the blind spot detection (yes by audible alert if no light) but what pisses me off is that we also seem to lose the "Park Sense" parking lot alert feature -- which is a clever thing when you are backing out and can't see past the fat SUV in the parking space next to you.

Why they design a vehicle with removable doors and then disable safety features (and I can't see the logic in them having to disable them with doors-off) escapes me.

WIll let you know if I make progress. I'm pretty stubborn when I get going.

p.s. I already installed new mirrors onto the body of the JL just forward of the doors using a pair of the tried-and-true Rugged Ridge mirror relo brackets for the Jeep JK. I did have to drill one hole through the plastic body of the JL and into the steel A-pillar to complete the mount, but it works awesome now that it's done.

Sponsored

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I'm working on this right now.

I'm a computer repairman for a living, so basic electrical in a vehicle isn't too far beyond my daily capabilities.

So far I've figured out that the system not only checks for the door to be present (haven't narrowed down how it decides that yet), but it also does need the blind spot alert light to pass its power-on-self-test.

I don't mind being with the blind spot detection (yes by audible alert if no light) but what pisses me off is that we also seem to lose the "Park Sense" parking lot alert feature -- which is a clever thing when you are backing out and can't see past the fat SUV in the parking space next to you.

Why they design a vehicle with removable doors and then disable safety features (and I can't see the logic in them having to disable them with doors-off) escapes me.

WIll let you know if I make progress. I'm pretty stubborn when I get going.

p.s. I already installed new mirrors onto the body of the JL just forward of the doors using a pair of the tried-and-true Rugged Ridge mirror relo brackets for the Jeep JK. I did have to drill one hole through the plastic body of the JL and into the steel A-pillar to complete the mount, but it works awesome now that it's done.
If a simple jumper doesn’t work, I’d also considered wiring a plug with LED indicators mounted somewhere visible (similar voltage/current, maybe the A pillar). When you take the doors off, plug it into the door connector and it basically completes the BSM circuit as if the doors were still on. Sounds like it may be more to it but throwing it out there as another option...

If I can find some free time, I may dig into this as well. Summertime is coming up & this has bugged me since the first time I ever took the doors off...

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a simple jumper doesn’t work, I’d also considered wiring a plug with LED indicators mounted somewhere visible (similar voltage/current, maybe the A pillar). When you take the doors off, plug it into the door connector and it basically completes the BSM circuit as if the doors were still on. Sounds like it may be more to it but throwing it out there as another option...

If I can find some free time, I may dig into this as well. Summertime is coming up & this has bugged me since the first time I ever took the doors off...
I'd love the help.

I determined that just having the indicator lights on the mirrors attached (yes I traced it out and connected just those leads on the mirror) was not enough to make the system happy. It wants the doors (window motors, locks...something), or some aspect of the doors - in addition to the mirror indicator lamps which are also required.

I'm extra-anxious about parking lots since that is where most fender benders happen -- so it really irks me that the ParkSense is gone.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but the stance of FCA is that doors should be on except when off-road, in which case one wouldn't really need blind spot detection.

Still seems odd that there's no way to make it work with the doors off. The sensors in the rear taillights should still trigger the audible alert.

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I'd love the help.

I determined that just having the indicator lights on the mirrors attached (yes I traced it out and connected just those leads on the mirror) was not enough to make the system happy. It wants the doors (window motors, locks...something), or some aspect of the doors - in addition to the mirror indicator lamps which are also required.

I'm extra-anxious about parking lots since that is where most fender benders happen -- so it really irks me that the ParkSense is gone.
Interesting. You’d think everything else would be normally open until you hit a switch (windows, door locks, heated mirrors, etc), same as being desconnected. Maybe the connector also needs a 12v or gnd jumper....or something else. I wouldn’t imagine it would need some kind of feedback loop or comms just for door electronics but who knows...

Sponsored

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I'll be watching this. We rarely have the doors on, and the cross traffic alert in parking lots is a great feature. If the Tazer comes out with this feature, it will put me over the edge to buying one.

I'm also hoping that when the Mopar Tube Doors are finally released, they have the same mirror with the blind spot light. I want tube doors, and would love a fully functioning mirror.

Cheers,
James

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be watching this. We rarely have the doors on, and the cross traffic alert in parking lots is a great feature. If the Tazer comes out with this feature, it will put me over the edge to buying one.

I'm also hoping that when the Mopar Tube Doors are finally released, they have the same mirror with the blind spot light. I want tube doors, and would love a fully functioning mirror.

Cheers,
James
I was told that this would not be a function of the Tazer JL itself, but a separate "hardware solution". I wish it was just a firmware update to the TazerJL I recently purchased but the fix for our problem doesn't reside in the "computer" thatr controls the vehicle apparently.

I have the Tazer JL already to change the tire size, tire pressure settings, and allow me to use the NAV when moving.

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Something that sounds technical, but it's not.
I'd really like these options for doors off. I live in the south and doors off 10 months of the year. So some of these options as a work-around would be great. I was half considering finding a wrecked JL, pull all the wiring door wiring then create my own wiring harness for the tube doors to include open/close sensor as well as the other stuff mentioned here. Not saying I'd actually be able to pull it off, but it sounds like a good idea.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There’s a beep? I must’ve disabled that on day one of ownership. That would make me mental. I’ll pass on this experiment.
Sponsored