Semiconductor Chips

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
Anyone know how many chips are required in a 392 vs any other 2021 JLRU? Might explain why the long wait....
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The 392 probably have about the same number as most of the models, maybe slightly less than the 3.6 etorque. The 4Xe likely has the most chips in them.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly 19 more chips in the 392. At an adjusted rate of 27 hours per chip, we’re looking at a 513 hour delay, or just over 21 days, per 392. Now with fuel shortages in the east coast you gotta factor in delays for the fender flare supplier to get them to the factory. Unless you’re getting painted fenders of course.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yaak392

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
How
Exactly 19 more chips in the 392. At an adjusted rate of 27 hours per chip, we’re looking at a 513 hour delay, or just over 21 days, per 392. Now with fuel shortages in the east coast you gotta factor in delays for the fender flare supplier to get them to the factory. Unless you’re getting painted fenders of course.
Who knew.
First thing in the morning... you got me fretting over my fenders now.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
There's a general shortage but one model might have a chip that's even further back in the pipeline or in higher demand across the overall marketplace.

Nobody has a crystal ball and the shift of finite production to consumer electronics when auto plants cut back may last 1 or 2 years. At least that's what the experts say at the moment...with their crystal balls.

I still think it will be interesting to see how new models being introduced will fair considering manufacturers always expect high sales numbers at the beginning.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's anybodies guess when this BS will end. I do know there is a HUGE backlog of pre built vehicles waiting for said chips. They will be first in line when the chips are available creating more waiting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yaak392

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
At least I am not alone...
Waiting for our 392

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I was taught supply/demand in school.
Why is no one in America making chips?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Cost is the major reason why. As an electric engineer, It is amazes me at how cheap many components are. iPhones would probably cost $5-10k if all the electronic components were made in the US.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
They are. Intel, Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, ON Semiconductors, etc. all have some US production. But semi production fabs are very capital intensive and do have environmental impact, so it has been easier/cheaper to do it in Asian markets than in the US. International supply chains were working smoothly too, for the most part, until recently when they got hit with a 1-2 punch of trade war escalation with China and then COVID. Prior US leadership was making China nervous of getting locked out of the global semiconductor market, so China started buying up as many semis and semi production equipment as they could before getting completely isolated. Then COVID hit, and the uncertainty led corporate management teams to slow down inventory builds. But repeated US stimulus rounds kept consumer spending levels high, and tight semi inentories resulted. It takes about 2 years to build and equip a new fab in the best case scenario, but building political opposition to the size of US infrastructure investment plans may push the timeline out further. Buckle up.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
They are. Intel, Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, ON Semiconductors, etc. all have some US production. But semi production fabs are very capital intensive and do have environmental impact, so it has been easier/cheaper to do it in Asian markets than in the US. International supply chains were working smoothly too, for the most part, until recently when they got hit with a 1-2 punch of trade war escalation with China and then COVID. Prior US leadership was making China nervous of getting locked out of the global semiconductor market, so China started buying up as many semis and semi production equipment as they could before getting completely isolated. Then COVID hit, and the uncertainty led corporate management teams to slow down inventory builds. But repeated US stimulus rounds kept consumer spending levels high, and tight semi inentories resulted. It takes about 2 years to build and equip a new fab in the best case scenario, but building political opposition to the size of US infrastructure investment plans may push the timeline out further. Buckle up.
TSMC is building a $12B N5 fab in Arizona, I think, and Samsung and a few others are also looking at fabs in the U.S. (just like Honda and others built production facilities in the U.S. for cars.) However, I agree that is years out.

Also, just heard that Ford downgraded their projections for the year by $2.5B (though have heard rumbling that number might actually be $6.5B) and GM by $1.5B based on chip supply shortages. Globally the shortage is expected to cost the auto industry $110B. If that is even close to accurate, Ford and GM are betting on this shortage not going away anytime soon and continuing to have huge impact on production and thus supply of automobiles in the U.S. and globally.

Somehow I don't see FCA managing this issue in a substantially more effective, efficient manner than Ford or GM. I think these shortages are here for at least 6 months...probably more like a year or more.
Sponsored