Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Good afternoon,

I have my Rubicon 4xe listed for sale in the forums here in addition to other places. I have received very little interest and was wondering if I could get some guidance on why that might be.

I have it listed for $65k with just over 3k miles and all stock with the exception of a sun shade, stubby antenna, ect. Since I bought the 4xe 10 weeks ago, Jeep has increases the cost of the 4xe by over $3k. Building my specs comes out to $63,326.

Do I have it listed too high at $65k? I'm not trying to make a killing selling it, but I feel like I'm forced to ask above book value because even new cars are being listed $2-3k above MSRP.

Or do not enough people know about or trust the newer hybrid system in the Wrangler?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Well the first thing that comes to mind is that the buyer won't qualify for the tax credit. It would be cheaper for them to buy new from a dealer. Especially if you're trying to sell a car that is technically used for near MSRP. I ordered mine for over 3% below invoice brand new.

Have you looked into Carvanna or Vroom? They have been giving pretty crazy offers lately.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Why would someone buy a used 4xe over msrp and miss out on the tax credit when they can buy a new 4xe (maybe with a bit of a wait, maybe with a bit of a wait, maybe not) get it cheaper before the tax credit And get the tax credit as well?

You're still getting the tax credit (presumably you qualify), so I would think you'd have to price your vehicle below the MSRP-the tax credit to get any real interest. Maybe even lower when you take into account the fact that people are still getting them below invoice as well.

enginerd_josh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I’m not personally interested in the 4xe (yet) just because it’s brand new. I’d like to see a year or two of performance before buying in to that technology. Also would hope for some advancements showing improvements to the electric range. As for price, what area of the country are you in? If you’re even marginally local to one of the dealers offering below invoice, then you’re asking people to pay a good chunk of change in order to avoid the wait time for a new order. I’m sure that person is out there, but I would think you’ve narrowed the buyer pool considerably. All in all, my own $.02 would be that you’re probably just looking at a very small cross section of potential buyers (new hybrid system, above MSRP, etc).

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do I have it listed too high at $65k?
Yes. Especially considering the new build price is just over $63,000. Plus, I get the tax credit if I purchase new.

but I feel like I'm forced to ask above book value because even new cars are being listed $2-3k above MSRP.
Understandable, but your vehicle is not new.

Have you tried Carvana or Vroom?

enginerd_josh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I somehow completely forgot about the tax credit that others jumped right in on. Great point there. That’s actually the one thing that ALMOST swayed me to give the 4xe a shot when it came to me for me to place my order.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Good afternoon,

I have my Rubicon 4xe listed for sale in the forums here in addition to other places. I have received very little interest and was wondering if I could get some guidance on why that might be.

You should offer the tax credit that you get next year to the deal. Drop your price by $5000-7500
EDIT: To be clear, assuming you will be getting the credit for sure, you can then 'lose' 7500 on the deal, and it s a wash for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Carvanna and Vroom don't have updated pricing for the 4xe last I checked. They don't have the hybrid as an option to select.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’m not personally interested in the 4xe (yet) just because it’s brand new. I’d like to see a year or two of performance before buying in to that technology. Also would hope for some advancements showing improvements to the electric range. As for price, what area of the country are you in? If you’re even marginally local to one of the dealers offering below invoice, then you’re asking people to pay a good chunk of change in order to avoid the wait time for a new order. I’m sure that person is out there, but I would think you’ve narrowed the buyer pool considerably. All in all, my own $.02 would be that you’re probably just looking at a very small cross section of potential buyers (new hybrid system, above MSRP, etc).
I'm in Iowa, located in Davenport. Most Wranglers aren't in stock at any nearby dealers. Good point that I'm probably looking at a very small section of potential Wrangler owners.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
likely tax credit difference and now its considered *used; I know a few have mentioned this and it was one of the first things I thought of.

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
Out here in Chicagoland hard to find anything new or used truth be told. Very limited stock. Have you seen what dealers are offering for it? I'd shop it bet you get real close to MSRP. Just sold my HC to my Dealer and got what I paid it was 3yrs old with 9600 miles.

BDoerr54

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4Xe, 2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-e
Good afternoon,

I have it listed for $65k with just over 3k miles and all stock with the exception of a sun shade, stubby antenna, ect. Since I bought the 4xe 10 weeks ago, Jeep has increases the cost of the 4xe by over $3k. Building my specs comes out to $63,326.

Do I have it listed too high at $65k? I'm not trying to make a killing selling it, but I feel like I'm forced to ask above book value because even new cars are being listed $2-3k above MSRP.

Or do not enough people know about or trust the newer hybrid system in the Wrangler?

I'm waiting on my 4Xe order currently. Can I ask why you are selling yours already? Is there something you really don't like about it?

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
Almost certainly too high. With no negotiations at all you can get $7.5k off of new MSRP, making even a newer higher priced one cheaper than yours used.
Sponsored