Sell our 21 to Vroom and order a 22?

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
Have a 21 Willys that we bought new last Dec. We got a great deal primarily due to all great info learned on this forum. Recently received an offer from Vroom for $4k more than we paid new. Seemed like a no brainer to sell and order a 22 from Gupton for 5% under invoice. The Jeep is a third vehicle for us and we can wait a couple months.

I recognize that no one has a crystal ball, but our Jeep has been problem free and we have reservations about current supply chain issues, quality control, and Jeep generally making adjustments to move units. I have read about various options and accessories being deleted, and the potential for 20-24 week lead times on new Wranglers.

I have always received good advise and suggestions on this forum, so thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
If it allows you to add a few more options you want for little to no cost, 100% do it. Get another 3 years of warranty, and start at 0 miles again.

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Sell for more than you paid, and you can wait for the order from a volume dealer? No brainer - do it!

Deleted member 59498

Do it. Only makes sense. Take advantage of it. Trading my 20 JLUR for 22 Diesel.

Basically by the time I get the new one it would be 2 years driving it with out a single issue and getting 4 to 5k more than I paid. Weird.

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I just put my wife's '19 with 20k into vroom just for kicks and got offered $31k, about $10k less than book value on it. Not sure if they just don't need Wranglers in my area or if it not being a Rubi makes all the difference. KBB has dealer list value on it at $44k. How are you guys getting these crazy high numbers when Vroom just lowballed me hard?

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I just put my wife's '19 with 20k into vroom just for kicks and got offered $31k, about $10k less than book value on it. Not sure if they just don't need Wranglers in my area or if it not being a Rubi makes all the difference. KBB has dealer list value on it at $44k. How are you guys getting these crazy high numbers when Vroom just lowballed me hard?
Depends on a lot of things--like location, model, year, etc.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Same here with Vroom, Carmax, and Carvana. Local dealer offered us $10k more, plus we'll save about $2,500 on sales tax by trading in. Even with dealers, I contacted multiple in my area starting with our previous salesman from whom we recently purchased a '20 Grand Cherokee High Altitude. He provided good service on that vehicle so we wanted to give him repeat business. Unfortunately, they came back with what I felt was a low offer, and that's when I began shopping our Wrangler around. 2 dealerships never responded to my inquiry, and one wouldn't give me a trade-in value by phone or email keeps insisting I bring it in & talk payments :LOL:.

The dealership we ended up ordering from, the Sales director replied almost immediately to my email inquiry with their offer, which was what I was asking, and no other salesy BS. I sent him the options & specs that I wanted on our '22 and he sent me over the POC within an hour. So far, I'm very impressed.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
OP should do it. I would do the same except I’ve spent a lot of time and $$ building mine with Artec skids, lift, lighting, and a winch, none of which adds much to trade in value.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

IMO $4K is a pretty slim margin, especially when you factor in taxes, title, mods, potential travel to get the new one, etc.

Plus, you already know that the one you have is [currently] issue-free. Who knows what the new one could have; there are tons of threads of brand new vehicles having issues.

Just my $0.02 - $4k savings and only going up one model year isn't worth the hassle.

Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Sell sell sell. If you can make money and can wait- it is a no brainer.

OP
OP
Mike8194

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
If there’s nothing wrong with yours, why? You just keep resetting your debt.
I know some people are not comfortable with debt, but when I can borrow someone else’s money cheap, I will always do it. We sold both our cars to Carvana last year and used the proceeds to pay cash for my wife’s new car and financed 100% of the Jeep for 36mos @ 0%. It was like financing both cars at 0%. I am about a year into that loan.

I currently owe $31k, so I will get back about $17,500. My plan is to get another 36mo @ 0% loan, put the $17,500 down, and pay the same payment I was paying before for 24mos. I would be up $4k, have a brand new Jeep, and no extra time or cost on the loan. My only reservation is quality control issues or parts substitutions In the current build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike8194

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
IMO $4K is a pretty slim margin, especially when you factor in taxes, title, mods, potential travel to get the new one, etc.

Plus, you already know that the one you have is [currently] issue-free. Who knows what the new one could have; there are tons of threads of brand new vehicles having issues.

Just my $0.02 - $4k savings and only going up one model year isn't worth the hassle.
Thanks for the input. That is really my only concern at this point.

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Same here with Vroom, Carmax, and Carvana. Local dealer offered us $10k more, plus we'll save about $2,500 on sales tax by trading in. Even with dealers, I contacted multiple in my area starting with our previous salesman from whom we recently purchased a '20 Grand Cherokee High Altitude. He provided good service on that vehicle so we wanted to give him repeat business. Unfortunately, they came back with what I felt was a low offer, and that's when I began shopping our Wrangler around. 2 dealerships never responded to my inquiry, and one wouldn't give me a trade-in value by phone or email keeps insisting I bring it in & talk payments :LOL:.

The dealership we ended up ordering from, the Sales director replied almost immediately to my email inquiry with their offer, which was what I was asking, and no other salesy BS. I sent him the options & specs that I wanted on our '22 and he sent me over the POC within an hour. So far, I'm very impressed.
I haven't checked with any dealers yet but Vroom and Carvana were offering about $10k less than KBB values like 3 months ago. I checked Vroom yesterday and it was $10k more than they offered me then. Really enticing!

OP
OP
Mike8194

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
I haven't checked with any dealers yet but Vroom and Carvana were offering about $10k less than KBB values like 3 months ago. I checked Vroom yesterday and it was $10k more than they offered me then. Really enticing!
It’s all about market timing right now. My Vroom offers have been all over the place the last few months, ranging from 40k to 48.5k. I finally locked at 48.5k. I checked a few days later and it was back down to 43k.
Sponsored