Sponsored

Sell or Long Term Storage? - ADVICE NEEDED

Sell it or keep in long term storage for 2 years?

• Total voters

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So it's a great possibility that I will need to go overseas for my company for about 2 years. Outside of the family move, I'm trying to decide what to do with my 2018 JLUR. It has about 7k miles on it and the only real upgrades I've done are wheels, tires, shocks, spacer lift, winch, and some lights. Also have some interior upgrades but nothing as drastic as re-gearing, axels, etc.

Does anyone have experience with long term storage? Is it worth it or am I better off just selling it and buying new when I return?

All tips/perspectives welcome.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So it's a great possibility that I will need to go overseas for my company for about 2 years. Outside of the family move, I'm trying to decide what to do with my 2018 JLUR. It has about 7k miles on it and the only real upgrades I've done are wheels, tires, shocks, spacer lift, winch, and some lights. Also have some interior upgrades but nothing as drastic as re-gearing, axels, etc.

Does anyone have experience with long term storage? Is it worth it or am I better off just selling it and buying new when I return?

All tips/perspectives welcome.
The worst abuse is no use. Plus insurance and storage cost. Plus depreciation. At the very least you would need a good smart battery maintainer and store it on jack stands or blocks. You would also need to drain the gas. Then there is the risk of rodents. I'd sell and buy another whenever you return. Pull the add-ons and sell, reinstall the stock parts if you have them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The worst abuse is no use. Plus insurance and storage cost. Plus depreciation. At the very least you would need a good smart battery maintainer and store it on jack stands or blocks. Then there is the risk of rodents. I'd sell and buy another whenever you return. Pull the add-ons and sell, reinstall the stock parts if you have them.
that's what i'm leaning towards. hope there are still manual transmission rubicons available in 2021.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
When I went overseas for a year I had my parents drive my tacoma once or twice a week. Same with my motorcycle. I wouldn’t have been opposed to leaving it with a friend to do the same.

Not sure if you have an option like that but something to consider. Might be easier to just sell since it’s mostly stock and if you’re not emotionally attached to it yet lol

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
If it was six months or even a year, I would say keep it. However, two years...I would sell it. For one, no use is horrible for it. The other side is that you are losing two years of warranty.

I hope you were able to purchase it new at a good price. It sounds like you have thrown some money at it already, and you probably won’t get that back.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Im with the others. 2 years is a long time in storage. When we deployed, the single soldiers stored their vehicles in either climate controlled units or simply in the barracks lots. 15-16 months was really hard on them, even in the climate control units. If you want another JL, I'd remove and keep your upgrades and return to stock. Unless, you think you can recoup your money. Good luck :like:

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I would most definitely would sell it. For all the reasons have been mentioned above.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Definitely sell. I wouldn't trust a vehicle that sat for 2 years.

Don't take this the wrong way, but its a Wrangler. It's not a special, hard to find vehicle. In 2 years there may have even been updates done. And if Jeep changes something you don't like, you can always buy used.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully we will have gas powered cars when you get back. According to NPR the new Green New Deal resolution being pushed by all of the Democratic presidential candidates is a 10 year commitment to eliminate all fossil fuel based modes of transportation (cars, trucks, airplane) and go to electric trains (not sure how well they would work going to Europe), guarantee everyone a well paid job/money with health insurance included, and changes to farming to provide a healthy diet for everyone (cow flatulence is a leading source of methane). Their plan is to get one of them elected in 2020 and win the Senate so they can make it law. In 10 years do you think our JLs will have the same high trade in value they enjoy now?

Sponsored

Osan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda CX-5
I'll buy it from you. : ) also live in NJ (north). I've been looking to buy a Jeep for a long time. Had a down payment on one when a dealer sold it to someone else (end of the day mixup with car being on a different lot). Stopped the buying process for a few months. Went to another dealership, guy wouldn't talk numbers, just monthly payment. Got frustrated because he refused to show me more info, ended up leaving.

I've decided to buy out of state if I do to secure the % off invoice, but if you do decide to sell the Jeep, please let me know. Its beautiful.

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll buy it from you. : ) also live in NJ (north). I've been looking to buy a Jeep for a long time. Had a down payment on one when a dealer sold it to someone else (end of the day mixup with car being on a different lot). Stopped the buying process for a few months. Went to another dealership, guy wouldn't talk numbers, just monthly payment. Got frustrated because he refused to show me more info, ended up leaving.

I've decided to buy out of state if I do to secure the % off invoice, but if you do decide to sell the Jeep, please let me know. Its beautiful.
Ha. PM me .I'll know for sure in next few weeks living situation. Would rather keep it in the Jeep family.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Sell it.

It's hard to predict the future but I'd guess the manual transmission will be available at least until the next generation Wrangler. They've already made the R&D expenditure for a new manual transmission for the JL and JT so it's unlikely to be abandoned unless demand for it plummets (also unlikely).

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'd keep her, A) 2 years goes so fast. B) Thats your baby C) It gives you something else to look forward to coming home to. (the other obviously extended family and friends)
Sponsored