Sponsored

Sell my Willys for a Rubicon???

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
ironically people who borrow $50K at less than 1-3% interest are wiser than those who pay $50K cash for a car typically, when you can make much more interest on investing it :bandit:
I just posted the same response. Smart financial people know this.
Sponsored

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
I keep a daily watchful eye on the car market and right now, I think you would be crazy to purchase a Wrangler. I was tracking a Gladiator Rubicon on April 15th and the local Texas dealer had it listed with $8000 in discounts. $2000 of that were from Jeep and the rest from the Dealer. Six weeks later it was still for sale but this time listed at MSRP with no discounts. The people paying these outrageous prices are going to take a big hit when things return to normal. While you can right now make some money selling your vehicle, if you have to replace it then you are not going to benefit unless you find a vehicle with plenty of inventory and a discount. Very likely a car nobody really wants like a Buick. If you have more than one car, then it does make sense to sell. I had a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 with 20,000 miles that I purchased new in Dec 2019. I reached out to Carvana, Vroom, KBB, TruCar, Autonation and local dealers before selling it to the same dealer I purchased it from for $5000 more than I paid new. (17 months ownership, 20,000 miles, $5000 profit). Dealer listed it for $4500 more than they paid me and sold it in 3 weeks. Assuming that the buyer paid the asking price, it means they paid around the same as the MSRP price when it was new. 🤨

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I keep a daily watchful eye on the car market and right now, I think you would be crazy to purchase a Wrangler. I was tracking a Gladiator Rubicon on April 15th and the local Texas dealer had it listed with $8000 in discounts. $2000 of that were from Jeep and the rest from the Dealer. Six weeks later it was still for sale but this time listed at MSRP with no discounts. The people paying these outrageous prices are going to take a big hit when things return to normal. While you can right now make some money selling your vehicle, if you have to replace it then you are not going to benefit unless you find a vehicle with plenty of inventory and a discount. Very likely a car nobody really wants like a Buick. If you have more than one car, then it does make sense to sell. I had a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 with 20,000 miles that I purchased new in Dec 2019. I reached out to Carvana, Vroom, KBB, TruCar, Autonation and local dealers before selling it to the same dealer I purchased it from for $5000 more than I paid new. (17 months ownership, 20,000 miles, $5000 profit). Dealer listed it for $4500 more than they paid me and sold it in 3 weeks. Assuming that the buyer paid the asking price, it means they paid around the same as the MSRP price when it was new. 🤨
if we are talking about buying a new a Wrangler -there are still dealers that will do 5-8% under Invoice. i wouldn’t call that crazy.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I just traded my 2018 JLU in on a all-Nacho 2021 JLR. The only place in the US that had an all-Nacho JLR was 2,005 miles away. I drove the distance and received a great price on my JLU and a fair discount on my JLR.

I wanted the JLR because it weighed less than the JLU (for flat towing), and it had D44 axles front and rear, selectable lockers, HD brakes, 4.0:1 transfer case, sway bar disconnect, raised fender flares, and 33" BFGs. My 2021 also has other options, but they weren't the deciding factor.

The Rubicon is the pinnacle of the Wrangler line, though there are other models priced higher. It sells fast, holds its value, is unbeatable off road, and is pretty well mannered on the road. Its style is quite unique and looks great.

Reach for the Rubicon. You won't regret it a day (unless its payment day...).

Sponsored

#SKYDRAGON

First Name
Leary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, & XK Commander Overland 5.7L HEMI
Here's my thing: I'm 53 years old, and somewhat been impulsive, and there are some good points every post here.

But what do you REALLY want???

In my search, I saw the JLUR of the dreams I didn't know I had, but went back in time to have them, so I could have an excuse to buy this Rubicon. And here's the thing: they lifted it, put on XD Series wheels, 6 Jeep-brand LED trail lights, a Warn winch with a Factor 55 coupler...anyway, it had EVERY. THING. I. WANTED.

There are some people who will buy a frozen chicken at Walmart for the ability to prepare it the way they want at home, and there are some who will walk into Walmart, get a whiff of that already-prepared lemon garlic seasoned chicken and be like, "I need one of those NOW, please!!!"

Admittedly, I am historically the latter. However, I'm also a 53 year old disabled veteran who knows that putting in those man-hours to install this, that, and the other is next to impossible for me. I don't have a garage, nor the TIME. And believe me, at my age, time becomes a precious commodity that you tend to not want to spend not letting your loved ones know that you care about them.

Anyway, my point is, find out who you really are inside (and I mean, examine yourself to your soul), think about what will make you happiest, pull the trigger and don't look back. I think there's a LOT of reasons to have the Willys. It's a great Jeep, I dig on the history, and the look is awesome, but in my heart of hearts, I wasn't gonna be happy unless I had the Jeep I wanted (and maybe needed?) because I believe that it was probably gonna be the only new vehicle I'd ever have.

But that's my story. What's yours gonna be?

Whatever you do, I wish you great adventures, safe travels and clear skies. 🤠✌🏿

All the best from Texas.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Brother Sky Dragon is right. Only you know what will ultimately work for you, but you have to really do some soul searching on it! I am in that process right now. I sold my 2020 TRD Off Road Tacoma to Carmax after a year of driving it for almost 8K more than I paid for it (pre tax). It had no soul, and I was willing to give it up, even though I would be giving up 0% financing for the entire 60 months I financed, and the killer deal I got on the sale of it in the first place. I missed my Jeep. Going off road with a bunch of Jeeps did not help!

Fortunately, the truck was not my daily driver, so I am in no hurry to replace it. I am still weighing the options of stripped Rubicon vs stripped Willy's, and going with a build or just getting something off the lot. I will probably drive my wife nuts in the meantime while I figure it out. Maybe I will have it figured out by my 54th birthday in October. Hopefully the car market will be settled by then.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Brother Sky Dragon is right. Only you know what will ultimately work for you, but you have to really do some soul searching on it! I am in that process right now. I sold my 2020 TRD Off Road Tacoma to Carmax after a year of driving it for almost 8K more than I paid for it (pre tax). It had no soul, and I was willing to give it up, even though I would be giving up 0% financing for the entire 60 months I financed, and the killer deal I got on the sale of it in the first place. I missed my Jeep. Going off road with a bunch of Jeeps did not help!

Fortunately, the truck was not my daily driver, so I am in no hurry to replace it. I am still weighing the options of stripped Rubicon vs stripped Willy's, and going with a build or just getting something off the lot. I will probably drive my wife nuts in the meantime while I figure it out. Maybe I will have it figured out by my 54th birthday in October. Hopefully the car market will be settled by then.
Oh geez. Been there, done that!

Where to start with Tacoma? How about the fact that it beeps every two seconds? Did you unlock the doors? BEEP! Did you lock the doors? BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the sunroof open? BEEP BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the rear slider open? BEEP BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the shifter in D? BEEP BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the lights on? BEEP BEEP! Did you open the door with the sunroof open? BEEP BEEP BEEP! Did you open the door with the rear slider open? BEEP BEEP BEEP! Did you press the wrong button? BEEP BEEP! Did you forget to press something? BEEP BEEP! Did you burp? BEEP BEEP BEEP! Did you fart? BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

A couple times I was completely stopped, with the engine and everything thing else off, but the stupid truck beeped and it just wouldn’t stop. I couldn’t figure out what it wanted. I locked the truck and walked away totally frustrated as it beeped, beeped and beeped. I figured it would eventually stop... It did after several minutes.

Thankfully I didn't have a gun or I’d would have put a bullet through that truck more than once!

Last edited:

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I don't think this is true, if you are willing to order a new one.

Some above just pointed out a dealer still doing 8% under invoice not too far away from you. Check in the friendly dealers forum for the latest though - it's not as prevalent as before:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-207

if you bought in the last 2 years you're essentially getting a reset - with a new warranty and can correct any (ahem) mistakes made on the first purchase ;)

If you are looking at the prices on dealer's websites or the jeep new inventory webiste - you're pretty much wasting your time imho. Just email the friendly dealer contact directly.
This is the key here...The reset for past sins on financing. Too many people are trapped in bad leases, negative equity situations and are stuck in vehicles they could not get out from under until recently. If you are in one of these situations, sell now. If you want a new Jeep, order a new one @ 8% below

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
This is the key here...The reset for past sins on financing. Too many people are trapped in bad leases, negative equity situations and are stuck in vehicles they could not get out from under until recently. If you are in one of these situations, sell now. If you want a new Jeep, order a new one @ 8% below
My biggest "problem" is that there are now more boxes for me to tick when building a new JLUR and need to be mindful to keep purchase price under $50K because my lovely state of CT jacks up the sales tax on new vehicles from 6.35% to 7.5% once you hit $50K.

But you can definitely "reset" to a new one for only a few thousand which is a fantastic opportunity.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest "problem" is that there are now more boxes for me to tick when building a new JLUR and need to be mindful to keep purchase price under $50K because my lovely state of CT jacks up the sales tax on new vehicles from 6.35% to 7.5% once you hit $50K.

But you can definitely "reset" to a new one for only a few thousand which is a fantastic opportunity.
I still remember, not even 10 years ago, when the Federal government defined any vehicles over $40,000 as “luxury.” 😫

These days a Honda Civic would be “luxury”!

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Oh geez. Been there, done that!

Where to start with Tacoma? How about the fact that it beeps every two seconds? Did you unlock the doors? BEEP! Did you lock the doors? BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the sunroof open? BEEP BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the rear slider open? BEEP BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the shifter in D? BEEP BEEP! Did you turn off the engine with the lights on? BEEP BEEP! Did you open the door with the sunroof open? BEEP BEEP BEEP! Did you open the door with the rear slider open? BEEP BEEP BEEP! Did you press the wrong button? BEEP BEEP! Did you forget to press something? BEEP BEEP! Did you burp? BEEP BEEP BEEP! Did you fart? BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

A couple times I was completely stopped, with the engine and everything thing else off, but the stupid truck beeped and it just wouldn’t stop. I couldn’t figure out what it wanted. I locked the truck and walked away totally frustrated as it beeped, beeped and beeped. I figured it would eventually stop... It did after several minutes.

Thankfully I didn't have a gun or I’d would have put a bullet through that truck more than once!
Sounds like you got a chatty one! Mine only beeped when I locked or unlocked it.
Sponsored