Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have crunched a lot of numbers and determined it’s right for me to keep my Willys.

With that said, I’ve never seen a Rubicon for that price around here. Any of the Rubicons I’ve seen on lots that are under $60k are missing things I wouldn’t want to go without. If I could find one that satisfied me for the price you’re looking at, I’d probably do that deal.
That’s been my experience, too.

Dealers’ heightened attitude at the moment doesn’t help either.
Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Vroom offered $43,650 for my Sahara with 6,500 miles; I paid $38,000 18 months ago.

But this is a terrible to buy.

My local dealer has a lot full of Jeeps; tells me with a straight face that all their Wranglers and Gladiators have a $10,000 markUP. The salesman is downright unpleasant. I get up and leave.

On my way out I see two smartly dressed young fellows test driving Rubicons; I think to myself “they must be nuts to be willing to pay a $10,000 markup.”

I go to the next dealer, 30 miles down the road; it “only” wants a $1,500 markup. Regardless, they only have 1 JL a 1 JT left. The salesman says factory orders are taking 3-4 months. I think he is full of shit and say my good-byes.

The only dealer in a 100-mile radius willing to discount at all is offering 0.5% off MSRP. At least the salesman sounds like a straight shooter.

I do a 1,000-mile search and spend hours going through the inventory with a fine tooth comb. Dealers known for upfront discounts now show full MSRP or even markups.

I decide to look into 4Xe; the $7,500 tax credit is enticing. The test drive disappoints, however.

Vroom can keep its money. I am keeping my Jeep.
Looks like you're not too far from Idaho..... $100 flight and road trip of your life in your new Rubicon might be worth looking into....I talked to Kent recently and he is still doing the 8% below invoice deals

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
I just did this switch.
I had 2020 Bright White Willys V6 auto and now I have 4xe Rubicon.
The deal I got at the time was too good to pass up so I went ahead and leased the 4xe.
But I loved my Willys and still kind of miss it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, there are two correct options when getting a Wrangler: Sport or Rubicon. Anything in the middle is just asking to regret your purchase and wish you did it different.
Geezus... :facepalm:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you're not too far from Idaho..... $100 flight and road trip of your life in your new Rubicon might be worth looking into....I talked to Kent recently and he is still doing the 8% below invoice deals
Who is Kent?

I checked Dennis Dillon and Peterson, both large discount dealers near Boise, and all their Wranglers are now listed at full MSRP; they even have markups on some.

Sponsored

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I loved my two-door Willys, and only went Rubicon because we needed a 4-door and the price differences a few months ago for what I wanted in a Willys vs a Rubicon was negligible in my eyes.…well at least worth the extra for peace of mind on what the Rubicon offered me.

I love my Rubicon, but wouldn’t have hesitated to consider the Willys again.

Admittedly, like you, the reports of the LSD issues stayed in the back of my mind since I was already starting to experience many of the symptoms in that thread with the stock tires and even more with the 34’s I put on it.

I think for most, the LSD thing isn’t a problem—we just hang around this forum too much and see all the issues to be paranoid about more often.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm open to seeing data proving me wrong.
Middle trims are compromises and aren't long term owners. Great for Fiat, since the owners will buy at minimum 2 vehicles, bad for owners since you're rolling depreciation into the next loan.
Oh wait, I forgot. Everyone on here buys cash and 20% below cost, making money on every deal :CWL:
All I know is I’d regret buying a Sport after a whole 5 mins... 😫

This generation of Rubicon is perhaps the best-selling as a proportion of Wrangler sales. This is mostly because FCA loaded it with stickers, hood scoops and other visible styling cues; not because those buyers plan to take up wheeling. And that’s all FCA cares about: charging the most money on each sale.

If anything, it goes to show how gullible buyers can be.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think the same thing every time I see a Saraha :) But we won't go down that road.
Fine. I was responding to another post.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 21 Willys in December. I settled on a Willys b/c it seemed like a great compromise on appearance, performance, and price. I also didn’t think I needed more for light off-roading, and cruising around town on the weekend. Fast forward six months. The Willys is super capable compared to my previous JK, but I still got the bug. Looking at a small lift and tires and realizing I might should have just bought a Rubi. Got a pretty good deal on the Willys (and 0% financing), and Carvana just offered me roughly what I paid 6 months ago new. I am debating selling the Willys and ordering a Rubicon from Gupton. I have a work car, so no worries with waiting 4-6 weeks. So far, the Willys has been great but the LSD issue on the Dana44 makes me nervous, and this crazy market just feels like a freebie reset from the universe. Am I crazy?

Talk me in or out of this!
If you can recoup all of your money you might as well. Better than waiting 2, 3, 5 years and losing 5-10k (or whatever that number may be).

I've considered it myself as employee pricing + $7,500 on the 4XE sort of keeps me immune from the crazy prices dealer are offering right now but I think I'd go to the dealer to order a 4XE and walk out with an invoice for a 392.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I love my Willys, and it is everything I need it to be. That said, the car market is like the housing market. great to be a seller, but then what?? No cars to buy, no houses to buy at anything but stupid prices. I'm staying with mine.

G.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Willys, and it is everything I need it to be. That said, the car market is like the housing market. great to be a seller, but then what?? No cars to buy, no houses to buy at anything but stupid prices. I'm staying with mine.

G.
Yup. It makes sense to sell your Wrangler only if you plan to buy something else: a Grand Cherokee, a Grand Wagoneer, an eBike, a skateboard, a Ford Bronco.

I’ve crunched the numbers several times. No matter how much money Vroom offers me for my Wrangler, it doesn’t make sense to sell it as long as I plan to buy another Wrangler.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

if you want piece of mind on your willys. ( nothing wrong with the LSD. I put 12K offroad miles on my LSD with zero issues on my JLU sport). I recently swapped in a set of rubi axles and added a switch pod to run the lockers.. ( I prefer this over the computer telling me when i can and cannot use them like the Rubi's) it was about 4K outta pocket to do this.. BTW i agree. either buy a sport at the lowest price point and put 10-20K into it and make it what you want or drive an rubicon stock. I cannot figure out why people buy rubicons then put 1 ton axles for 20K getting rid of the whole point of buying a rubicon besides the red stitched name on the seats. :whew:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I bought a 21 Willys in December. I settled on a Willys b/c it seemed like a great compromise on appearance, performance, and price. I also didn’t think I needed more for light off-roading, and cruising around town on the weekend. Fast forward six months. The Willys is super capable compared to my previous JK, but I still got the bug. Looking at a small lift and tires and realizing I might should have just bought a Rubi. Got a pretty good deal on the Willys (and 0% financing), and Carvana just offered me roughly what I paid 6 months ago new. I am debating selling the Willys and ordering a Rubicon from Gupton. I have a work car, so no worries with waiting 4-6 weeks. So far, the Willys has been great but the LSD issue on the Dana44 makes me nervous, and this crazy market just feels like a freebie reset from the universe. Am I crazy?

Talk me in or out of this!

1F327A41-DFD4-4845-9631-CCB3A0FF754C.jpeg
Just mod your willys and have fun customizing it and forget about the Rubicon. There is no free lunch.
Sponsored