First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I bought a 21 Willys in December. I settled on a Willys b/c it seemed like a great compromise on appearance, performance, and price. I also didn’t think I needed more for light off-roading, and cruising around town on the weekend. Fast forward six months. The Willys is super capable compared to my previous JK, but I still got the bug. Looking at a small lift and tires and realizing I might should have just bought a Rubi. Got a pretty good deal on the Willys (and 0% financing), and Carvana just offered me roughly what I paid 6 months ago new. I am debating selling the Willys and ordering a Rubicon from Gupton. I have a work car, so no worries with waiting 4-6 weeks. So far, the Willys has been great but the LSD issue on the Dana44 makes me nervous, and this crazy market just feels like a freebie reset from the universe. Am I crazy?

Talk me in or out of this!

1F327A41-DFD4-4845-9631-CCB3A0FF754C.jpeg
I will only talk you into getting ventilated dark leather seats and the satin dash . . . the ONLY way to go in a RUBI in my opinion. Capability with a touch of luxury :rock:
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
But Aldo.... you are looking for a Rubicon... aren't you?
I don’t know what I’m looking for.

Vroom’s offer makes it very tempting to sell my JL. So I looked at Rubicons, Saharas, Altitudes, 2-doors, 4-doors, V6, 4Xe, EcoDiesel. But the more I look around, the less I find something that checks all the boxes.

I even considered Gladiators for awhile; Mojaves, Rubicons and Overlands. Gladiators are more plentiful than Wranglers, and dealers more willing to haggle. But coming from a Tacoma, I don’t want to go back to a pickup. Wrangler is really the sweet spot for me in terms of size, practicality and around town maneuverability.

If nothing else, looking around forces me to appreciate what I already have.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I briefly thought about selling my pickup a few weeks ago. It's worth nearly what I paid for it 5 1/2 years ago. Then I could trade the JL on a Mojave and kill two birds with one stone. The Mojave on the local lot is $63k with zero discounts. That would mean that I would have to pay nearly what's owed on the Jeep now to make up the difference. I quickly realized that made no economic sense.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Who is Kent?

I checked Dennis Dillon and Peterson, both large discount dealers near Boise, and all their Wranglers are now listed at full MSRP; they even have markups on some.
I'm surprised you haven't heard of Kent Shurtleff at Peterson....He is mentioned many times on the recommended dealer thread, that is how I found out about him. He does 8% below invoice with TL on factory orders ....mine took 6 weeks from order date to dealership.

send him an email if you are interested [email protected]

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Yup. It makes sense to sell your Wrangler only if you plan to buy something else: a Grand Cherokee, a Grand Wagoneer, an eBike, a skateboard, a Ford Bronco.

I’ve crunched the numbers several times. No matter how much money Vroom offers me for my Wrangler, it doesn’t make sense to sell it as long as I plan to buy another Wrangler.
I don't think this is true, if you are willing to order a new one.

Some above just pointed out a dealer still doing 8% under invoice not too far away from you. Check in the friendly dealers forum for the latest though - it's not as prevalent as before:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-207

if you bought in the last 2 years you're essentially getting a reset - with a new warranty and can correct any (ahem) mistakes made on the first purchase ;)

If you are looking at the prices on dealer's websites or the jeep new inventory webiste - you're pretty much wasting your time imho. Just email the friendly dealer contact directly.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I still can't get over Vroom and Carvana offering more than people paid for new vehicles. Even if you lose out on the tax benefits of a trade-in, driving a new vehicle for a year or two for the 2K you lose in taxes has to be a great deal. Much cheaper than leasing. It'll be interesting how this whole economic situation ends, get your popcorn. I for one can't wait until the 2022 new vehicle pricing comes out.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised you haven't heard of Kent Shurtleff at Peterson....He is mentioned many times on the recommended dealer thread, that is how I found out about him. He does 8% below invoice with TL on factory orders ....mine took 6 weeks from order date to dealership.

send him an email if you are interested [email protected]
Thanks! I just sent him an email. We will see.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm open to seeing data proving me wrong.
Middle trims are compromises and aren't long term owners. Great for Fiat, since the owners will buy at minimum 2 vehicles, bad for owners since you're rolling depreciation into the next loan.
Oh wait, I forgot. Everyone on here buys cash and 20% below cost, making money on every deal :CWL:
While this is an admittedly small sample size, in my neighborhood there are seven of us with wranglers. I live in a zip code where people do not finance cars. My neighbors are people who have reached a level in their personal and professional lives where they are no longer burdened with having to give two sh!ts about what other people think of them. What I find interesting is that all of these wranglers, with the exception of one of mine, are Sports and Saharas. Only one (mine) is a Rubicon. All of these wranglers see trail time in some form or another, as almost everyone has a cabin or second home in the mountains and enjoys driving offroad. I can say from experience that not one person is living with regret, nor do they care that somebody who had to borrow money to buy a $50K truck thinks they do. It's amazing how capable Sports and Saharas become once you have a few bricks in the bank and don't need to impress anybody.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I still can't get over Vroom and Carvana offering more than people paid for new vehicles. Even if you lose out on the tax benefits of a trade-in, driving a new vehicle for a year or two for the 2K you lose in taxes has to be a great deal. Much cheaper than leasing. It'll be interesting how this whole economic situation ends, get your popcorn. I for one can't wait until the 2022 new vehicle pricing comes out.
I have a feeling 2022 prices are going to a real shocker when they come out.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
While this is an admittedly small sample size, in my neighborhood there are seven of us with wranglers. I live in a zip code where people do not finance cars. My neighbors are people who have reached a level in their personal and professional lives where they are no longer burdened with having to give two sh!ts about what other people think of them. What I find interesting is that all of these wranglers, with the exception of one of mine, are Sports and Saharas. Only one (mine) is a Rubicon. All of these wranglers see trail time in some form or another, as almost everyone has a cabin or second home in the mountains and enjoying driving offroad. I can say from experience that not one person is living with regret, nor do they care that somebody who had to borrow money to buy a $50K truck thinks they do. It's amazing how capable Sports and Saharas become once you have a few bricks in the bank and don't need to impress impress anybody.
Yup.

You story reminds me of a gentleman I knew who owned a business east of Los Angeles restoring old Jeeps —CJs, SJs, XJs, WKs. He grew up with Jeeps, learned to wheel in his teens and was an avid off-roader.

He always bought Saharas. His reasoning was that since he was going to swap the axles, springs, driveshafts anyway, it made no sense to buy a Rubicon. Saharas gave him the perfect canvas from which to start his builds, by having all the comfort features and the electronics installed at the factory.

I don’t get to offroad as much as he did. But I find that a mild lift, 35-inch tires and a rear LSD can turn any Sahara —or Willys, or Sport— into a beast on most trails.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit with Carvana/Vroom. A few weeks ago i had gotten a $50K (maybe $51, forget at the moment) offer from Carvana for my JLUR and today i got $45K. Went to Vroom and they offered $49K.

When we got ours back in 2019 the MSRP was $53K and the price we paid was $46K (8% below invoice) and after taxes it came to $49K. That we can sell for what we paid including taxes is remarkable and makes it enticing assuming i could still get 8% below invoice on the east coast.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
While this is an admittedly small sample size, in my neighborhood there are seven of us with wranglers. I live in a zip code where people do not finance cars. My neighbors are people who have reached a level in their personal and professional lives where they are no longer burdened with having to give two sh!ts about what other people think of them. What I find interesting is that all of these wranglers, with the exception of one of mine, are Sports and Saharas. Only one (mine) is a Rubicon. All of these wranglers see trail time in some form or another, as almost everyone has a cabin or second home in the mountains and enjoys driving offroad. I can say from experience that not one person is living with regret, nor do they care that somebody who had to borrow money to buy a $50K truck thinks they do. It's amazing how capable Sports and Saharas become once you have a few bricks in the bank and don't need to impress anybody.
Trying to find the relevance of this sentence. So if someone paid cash for their Jeep your neighbors will care what they think?

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The price of lumber has fallen over 40% in one month, after spiking 350% in early 2021. Supply is catching up with demand, and consumer spending is shifting aways from goods and towards services. Although cars are different than lumber, they share many of the same many of the same supply chain headwinds - poor supply side capacity planning, underinvestment in inventories, trade tariffs, etc.

Below is the Manheim used car index through May. The YTD move is likely unsustainable, and risks being short term in nature. I see lots of people posting about selling to Vroom or Carava, but not many people actually doing it. If the window of opportunity closes (spoiler alert: it will) don't say you were not warned.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sell my Willys for a Rubicon??? 1623792213974

Last edited:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The price of lumber has fallen fallen over 40% in one month, after spiking 350% in early 2021. Supply is catching up with demand, and consumer spending is shifting aways from goods and towards services. Although cars are different than lumber, they share many of the same many of the same supply chain headwinds - poor supply side capacity planning, underinvestment in inventories, trade tariffs, etc.

Below is the Manheim used car index through May. The YTD move is likely unsustainable, and risks being short term in nature. I see lots of people posting about selling to Vroom or Carava, but not many people actually doing it. If the window of opportunity closes (spoiler alert: it will) don't say you were not warned.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sell my Willys for a Rubicon??? 1623792213974
Fully agree this is not/can not be sustainable. Either (1)some sense of normality will return in the next year or so, Or (2) the whole economy is going to tank. I’m betting on (1), but wouldn’t want to bet against (2). I believe at this juncture a wise man would hunker down until things resolve themselves one way or the other. YMMV
Sponsored