Sponsored

Sell hard top and keep soft top on year round?

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
This is a bit premature because the weather has not yet cooled down enough in St. Louis for me to test the comfort with the soft top, but after a great and convenient summer with the soft top on and the storage space my hard top takes up in my garage, I am not debating selling my hard top and just keeping the soft top on year round instead.

The road noise with the soft top is not nearly has bad as I remember on my old TJ and when it has been colder, the Jeep seems to still warm up quickly even with the soft top.

Does anyone have any words of warning against this idea or had a similar thought process in the past?

Thanks!
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I'd sell the hard top and just rock it all year round. You'll sell the hard top for $1500-2000 and you can buy a replacement top 12 years from now when you need it..

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
This is a bit premature because the weather has not yet cooled down enough in St. Louis for me to test the comfort with the soft top, but after a great and convenient summer with the soft top on and the storage space my hard top takes up in my garage, I am not debating selling my hard top and just keeping the soft top on year round instead.

The road noise with the soft top is not nearly has bad as I remember on my old TJ and when it has been colder, the Jeep seems to still warm up quickly even with the soft top.

Does anyone have any words of warning against this idea or had a similar thought process in the past?

Thanks!
I live in NJ so it gets cold. No issues at all with winters here. Warms up quickly and I see no difference from my wife’s Acadia. To be fair I have always had a soft top though.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have also considered it. Not sure the $1500 or so is worth it. There are not many to be found once its gone and new ones are really expensive. My daughter sold her 2dr Hardtop and regrets it now. Hers is a JK and is super noisy.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I lived in NJ and ran a Bestop soft top and doors all year round on a CJ7 a long time ago. I had a hard top and a soft top, but for the last couple winters I just ran the soft top. It was no problem at all. Stayed plenty warm in the winter and I did not have to keep the heat blasting the whole time. And Jeeps have come a long way since the CJs lol. You do have to be careful about just "smacking" the soft windows with a broom or snow brush to clear the piled snow off. In extreme cold they can crack if it hasn't been sitting in the sun or you've been running the heat. But I wouldn't smack glass windows either, so...

The hard top was much quieter, you don't realize it until you put it on and go for a drive. Also the weight of the hard top changed the ride a little. Softened it up.

If you're unsure keep the hardtop for a few more months and see how you like it with a soft top in the cold. If you don't like it put the hard top on. If you do then sell the hard top. You may get a better price for it in the winter. :)

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Thanks!
I say sell it. I rock my soft top year round with 0 issues. Plus you will enjoy increased gas mileage and handling due to the absence of the addition weight. On my previous TJ I bought a second set of windows this way I had a beater set for summer and a pristine set for winter, worked out great. You can use the proceeded to buy some of those extra goodies that I am sure you have been drooling over.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The soft top has three key shortcomings:
  1. Poor rear visibility, especially in damp/rainy weather. The lack of a rear wiper/defogger turns the rear curtain into a “stained glass/frosted glass” window when the weather deteriorates
  2. Poor vehicle security: the soft top is 100 times easier to break into. Something to consider if the Jeep spends the night parked on a street with a history of break-ins
  3. Lack of convenience: opening and closing the cargo area requires more steps with both hands with the plastic curtain than with the lift glass. Something to keep in mind when coming out of the grocery store with your hands full of bags.
If none of these bother you, then I’d say you are ready to live with a soft top year round.

Good luck.

rampart_ranger

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys XR
The soft top has three key shortcomings:
  1. Poor rear visibility, especially in damp/rainy weather. The lack of a rear wiper/defogger turns the rear curtain into a “stained glass/frosted glass” window when the weather deteriorates
  2. Poor vehicle security: the soft top is 100 times easier to break into. Something to consider if the Jeep spends the night parked on a street with a history of break-ins
  3. Lack of convenience: opening and closing the cargo area requires more steps with both hands with the plastic curtain than with the lift glass. Something to keep in mind when coming out of the grocery store with your hands full of bags.
If none of these bother you, then I’d say you are ready to live with a soft top year round.

Good luck.

This is spot on and the reason I keep both. But it all comes down to convenience and personal preference. I like that every 6 mos my Jeep looks totally different.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have the soft top in mine right now but will change back to the hardtop for winter. Lack of easy rear hatch availability with the soft top is a huge negative as is the extra noise. Also I live in a state (KS) with a lot of wind....top down days involving highway driving are not enjoyable. If I want to get beat up by the wind I have a motorcycle.

That said a trail ride in Colorado with the top down is awesome...though that happens only once or twice per year.

I will gladly welcome the return of hard top for winter.

Sponsored

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
My hardtop is on a dollycart that I got the plans from on this site. Im going to try and see how long I can ride out this winter with the soft twill top

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
I'm glad to hear that soft top only is a good option. I recently ordered a 2dr JL with the premium soft top and no hard top - hoping this was not a bad decision with the cold North Dakota winters. I know I will love the soft top way more than the hard top in the warmer months. When it gets really cold I will have the option of driving my hard top Gladiator.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I can't find it right now, but there is a thread somewhere with pics showing a guy that collapses his hardtop flat every year, then repairs it and puts it back on. If you can find that thread and replicate, that will help with the storage issue.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I’ve thought of doing the same thing since I live in miami florida, it’s kind of tempting to just sell off the hardtop and get a tuffy glove box for important things.
Sponsored