Sponsored

Self tapping bolt broken head — what to do?

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
  • Banned
I was installing an H3R fire extinguisher mount and while self tapping the mounting bolt the bolt head broke off leaving the shaft in the pillar. I tried to drill it out and broke a drill bit head and an extractor bit doing so
Jeep Wrangler JL Self tapping bolt broken head — what to do? 4DED5682-C39B-4AA8-9881-778040E873AA
Jeep Wrangler JL Self tapping bolt broken head — what to do? 2C315632-A089-4CA3-81F3-7223B4EB8577
. I have SOS messages out to a couple body shops but I’m wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom here?
Sponsored

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Try a left hand drill bit. Can find them on Amazon and maybe locally at Fastenal, etc...

Grind flat, center punch and drill with left hand drill bit, snake up on the diameter. It might just come loose before you reach major diameter.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
It's raised enough that you might be able to take a small Dremel cutting wheel and notch a slot into the top of it to allow a screwdriver to back it out.

Sponsored

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I was installing an H3R fire extinguisher mount and while self tapping the mounting bolt the bolt head broke off leaving the shaft in the pillar. I tried to drill it out and broke a drill bit head and an extractor bit doing so
Jeep Wrangler JL Self tapping bolt broken head — what to do? 2C315632-A089-4CA3-81F3-7223B4EB8577
. I have SOS messages out to a couple body shops but I’m wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom here?
Get a dremel and start grinding it out with a small bit. After enough material is removed it should come out probably in pieces.

OP
OP
jandersendo

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
  • Banned
Smooth it out, paint it, move to the other side and start with an actual tap.
this is my plan now: I’m going to buy the passengers side mount, a tap set, and install it on the other side. In terms of the mess I created today I’m planning to have a body shop friend of mine smooth and fill it and paint that section of roll cage.

this was definitely one of those moments in time I wish I could have back. thanks everyone!

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Get a screw extractor bit. You drill a hole in the stud and the extractor bites into it and backs it out. Try not to break the hardened steel in the stud... They work well though, I've used them a few times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jandersendo

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Get a screw extractor bit. You drill a hole in the stud and the extractor bites into it and backs it out. Try not to break the hardened steel in the stud... They work well though, I've used them a few times.
This is what happened. I broke off the extractor. Not it’s impossible to drill through; hence I’m planning to have it smoothed and filled and go to the passenger side

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Man of leisure
This is what happened. I broke off the extractor. Not it’s impossible to drill through; hence I’m planning to have it smoothed and filled and go to the passenger side
Yep. ;)

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I would get a Dremel with a cut off wheel. A new wheels diameter might be too big and get into the paint. Just burn the diameter down on a piece of scrap metal until it is small enough to do the job without getting into your paint. Cut a straight slot into the top of it for a screw driver. Add a little penetrating oil and see if u can turn it out. Might try adding some dry ice to it for a min before trying to turn it out if it is tough. It would be awful hard to tap out a hardened drill bit and use an easy out. And to weld something to that, would probably burn your surrounding paint

OP
OP
jandersendo

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I would get a Dremel with a cut off wheel. A new wheels diameter might be too big and get into the paint. Just burn the diameter down on a piece of scrap metal until it is small enough to do the job without getting into your paint. Cut a straight slot into the top of it for a screw driver. Add a little penetrating oil and see if u can turn it out. Might try adding some dry ice to it for a min before trying to turn it out if it is tough. It would be awful hard to tap out a hardened drill bit and use an easy out. And to weld something to that, would probably burn your surrounding paint
Yes hence why it’s getting smoothed and filled and painted
Sponsored