Sponsored

SelecTrac & the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle vs Rubicon?

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
I believe the upgraded wheel option is an error on Jeep.com. I remember reading the dealer can order selec-trac without the upgraded wheels. It does require the automatic and LSD.
Thank you. I was hoping there was a way around it.
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have been thinking along these lines also. My quandry is this 1 can you get a manual with the sect trac the build page says no? which means I have to go automatic. next is a lift I would want to run 34-to 35 menaing I need atleast 2inch lift so figure 1495 plus install say 2200. This brings my sahara prety loaded to 47 plus 2200 or about 49200 and it is still with a 345. so it seems like I would be better off with a rubicon the way i like it with a manual.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Youā€™re right: despite the online configurator selec-trac is available with the automatic only.

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
We just ordered a 2 dr manual Sport S. It will be my wife's car. My input was to include trailer tow package and LSD. I wish select-trac was available. I use 4 auto all winter long in my Ram and it works awesome on snowy roads. Also with ordering LSD for $500 something you get a $295 tire upgrade to Goodyear AT's.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Can you add LSD or AWD or positrac lol to Rubicon or something similar? Iā€™ve no idea but it might let one sleep better if they knew for a couple grand they could later add a reliable one of these.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can you add LSD or AWD or positrac lol to Rubicon or something similar? Iā€™ve no idea but it might let one sleep better if they knew for a couple grand they could later add a reliable one of these.
Thereā€™s no point in buying a a Rubicon if you plan to add a LSD. Them lockers is what turns a Wrangler into a Rubicon.

If you know you need an LSD, get a Sport or a Sahara: adding a TrueTrac LSD is no big deal.

Even better, get a Sahara with Selec-Trac and you are good to go.

Gpndavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2
The Rubicon transfer case has (had? Not sure on the latest model) the benefit of a fixed rear yoke. Does anyone know if the SelecTrac transfer case has a fixed yoke or a slip yoke?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Could always install an Auburn ECTED. Itā€™s both a locker and LSD when unlocked.

I wouldnā€™t pull a Rubi locker to install it, but sure would on a Sahara if you bent on having both.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I still want a SelecTrac Rubi, but between the two itā€™s easier to make a SlecTrac Sahara more Rubi-like than a Rubicon more SelecTrac-like.
I think this nails it nicely. If your on the road 90% of the time, go with the Sahara Select-Trac.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I admitted that I have only read the first two pages of this thread. With that said, I live in MIchigan. Our roads are shit, we get a lot of snow and they do not typically plow until it stops snowing. With that said. I think that the traction control on 99% of the vehicles are so good now a days that you only really need 4wd when the snow is deeper that what can be driven by a "normal" car. I know that with my JLUR on snow, it will not spin out in 2wd unless you turn off the traction control or drive like a complete idiot. If you drive like an idiot, well then no matter what 4wd system you use, you will still be an idiot.

So if you are going to buy based on you get some snow, I don't think it really matters...... I would buy exactly what ever I wanted and then sit back and drink some coffee and gaze at my dream Jeep sitting in the drive no matter what one it is.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I admitted that I have only read the first two pages of this thread. With that said, I live in MIchigan. Our roads are shit, we get a lot of snow and they do not typically plow until it stops snowing. With that said. I think that the traction control on 99% of the vehicles are so good now a days that you only really need 4wd when the snow is deeper that what can be driven by a "normal" car. I know that with my JLUR on snow, it will not spin out in 2wd unless you turn off the traction control or drive like a complete idiot. If you drive like an idiot, well then no matter what 4wd system you use, you will still be an idiot.

So if you are going to buy based on you get some snow, I don't think it really matters...... I would buy exactly what ever I wanted and then sit back and drink some coffee and gaze at my dream Jeep sitting in the drive no matter what one it is.
I have owned four Rubicons and five Saharas over the years. In my personal experience, a Rubicon will drive less predictably than a Sahara the moment anything cold starts to fall from the sky.

Perhaps it is the open rear differential ā€”which remains open 99% of the time, perhaps it was those MTs we used to get on Rubicons. Perhaps it is a bit of both.

Incidentally, it was wise of Jeep to swap Rubicon tires from MTs to ATs. That should help in the cold to some degree.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Or you can buy a tj rubicon and get lsd and lockers! But youā€™ll need your own front disco honestly I donā€™t even pull the 4wd lever on mine unless Iā€™m about a half foot deep in snow. rear lsd d44 is fantastic
I agree about not having to use 4x4 much in winter in the Chicago area or in areas where streets get plowed often.

I had a base '97 TJ during the 1999, 2011 blizzards. It was a bare bones model with zero options. No fancy LSD, no lockers, no added height. Wranglers in general are heavy so traction is pretty good if tires are decent. First set of original tires sucked so I installed snow tires for the 1999 blizzard and drove them during that blizzard. The snow tires were a game changer. Drove through deep snow and slush 90% of the time with only rear wheel drive. I think I only had to put it into 4X4 a few times to get unstuck.

Had a '15 JK Freedom Edition with LSD during the 2015 blizzard. The JK had factory Good Year tires. Tires make the biggest difference in snow and slush. The TJ with snow tires was definitely better in deep snow and slush even without LSD. Even then the JK was fine 80% of the time in rear wheel drive with the Good Years. Only time I had it in 4X4 on and off for a few days was when the City did not plow side streets.

NewNLJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 unlimited Sahara, 2018 Escape Titanium
precisely.

false sense of security.... "I have full time AWD, so I can just drive as I normally do through inclement weather"
Agreed. We have a ā€˜mall crawlerā€™ Sahara, which is really funny cause the nearest mall is about 650 km away, unless you count Walmart.....we also donā€™t have selec trac, we have command-trac. Where we live (about 600 miles north west of where the titanic sank), we have 3 sayings:
1. In England they drive on the left of the road....in NL we drive on whatā€™s left of the road....
2. 4 wheel drive ainā€™t called 4 wheel steer or 4 wheel stop for a reason
3. if youā€™ve got 4wd, you still get stuck, youā€™re just farther from home..,

we have wicked winters up here....good snow tires make all the difference

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I personnaly bought a JL 2 door (this blue one) just for the fact that it had the limited slip in the back as an option because were I live snow is part of life half the year.

I have driven both a locker (lincoln welded lock) and also limited slip differentials in many vehicules I have had and in snow, there is no debate, the Limited slip is hands down the best.

Even locked up (if you could with the rubicon which you can't in 4hi) you'd be more slippery in winter conditions with the rubicon because while turning, one wheel would tend to wanna lose traction because of the other one pushing it and the turning radius wheel differential speeds problem with Lockers.

Think of this, when you see and "hear" a fully locked rear diff truck of jeep in summer trying to turn its rear wheels at different speeds while cornering or turning a corner and the tires start "chirping" of "hopping" to reset at each few inches or so, one of those wheels is loosing traction when this happens and you don't want that in snow.

In snow in winter you want the Wheel to get "locked" ONLY when its starting to slip or already slipping and NOT before or forcing it to wanna slip like a locker will do. A limited differential will only apply the "locking" when one wheel starts spinning a tiny bit and as such is a better choice for winter because it still enables the two rear wheel to spin at different speeds while turning corners and won't force one wheel to try to follow the other and in such case, sometimes throw you into a rear slip.

Try them, you'll notice its easier to slip the rear on a locked truck in winter than it is to slip the same truck with a limited slip where you'll need a bit more "Pedal" to make it do it. In that sense to, Limited slip is Way more forgiving in Winter driving which is what you want for safer driving in snow or harsh road conditions.
Sponsored