Sponsored

SelecTrac & the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle vs Rubicon?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
No, what I'm implying is that all these systems and SUV's give people a false sense of security. Regardless of SUV or full time AWD, you still need to drive on good tires and drive intelligently.

I would much prefer to be a passenger in a Rubicon with a smart driver than a passenger in a Sahara with Selectrac with a less experienced bad weather driver. make sense?
I’d prefer adding the better tools to the experienced bad weather driver. Chosing SelecTrac is like chosing better tyres, it doesn’t preclude conscientious driving, it just gives you more/better tools to work with.
Sponsored

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red
I’d prefer adding the better tools to the experienced bad weather driver. Chosing SelecTrac is like chosing better tyres, it doesn’t preclude conscientious driving, it just gives you more/better tools to work with.
Ok

OK of course I agree. But for the 4-5 snow storms a year in nyc and occasional rain storms...How often do you you think AWD actually engages?

Is that amount of time worth not getting the Rubicon you really emotionally desire?

Last edited:

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
By the time you add up the cost of adding Rubi lockers (F+R) you're beyond JL Rubicon money -this is going by the cost of the JK Rubi front and rear axles, which is just under $4500 once you add it up - and that's not including labor. Even with the front and rear lockers, you're still short a lift and some other bits if you want to legitimately wheel that the JL Rubi already has standard. Unless you're cool with building your Wrangler out over time and don't want to wheel right away, saving up for a Rubi makes more sense. After having gotten my first taste of wheeling in a brand new LR Discovery, there's no waiting for me. Too much fun.

zogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RWD coupe
Is that amount of time worth not getting the Rubicon you really emotionally desire?
This seems to be the disconnect. I don't particularly desire a Rubicon, per se. What I really want is a car that is the best fit for all of my real and imagined needs. Maybe it's the Rubicon, but maybe it's the Sahara.

The rock-climbing capability and overall ruggedness of the Rubicon fits in there, sure. But so does being the safest and most pleasant to drive in conditions I will actually face. It's not that I wouldn't survive a mixed-traction day in a Rubicon. It's that in a Sahara, I'll get satisfaction from having the optimal vehicle on that day.

I still haven't actually decided. If you were telling me why I needed to get a Sahara, I'd present arguments the other way.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
This seems to be the disconnect. I don't particularly desire a Rubicon, per se. What I really want is a car that is the best fit for all of my real and imagined needs. Maybe it's the Rubicon, but maybe it's the Sahara.

The rock-climbing capability and overall ruggedness of the Rubicon fits in there, sure. But so does being the safest and most pleasant to drive in conditions I will actually face. It's not that I wouldn't survive a mixed-traction day in a Rubicon. It's that in a Sahara, I'll get satisfaction from having the optimal vehicle on that day.

I still haven't actually decided. If you were telling me why I needed to get a Sahara, I'd present arguments the other way.
The struggle is real!! Same decision I can’t seem to make.

Sponsored

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

We won't really know the answer until we drive both jeeps in the same conditions back to back.

Otherwise it's just speculation.

I just don't think the Sahara looks rugged enough ‍♂

And to not have to lift and spend more on wheels and tires is a really nice thing.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Ok

OK of course I agree. But for the 4-5 snow storms a year in nyc and occasional rain storms...ogo power often do you you think AWD actually engages?

Not in my opinion, which is why I got the Rubicon. I have a 2016 Yukon XL with automatic 4x4 and I’ve used it exactly once in 2 years. Once roads are plowed, which is like right after the snow stops, 2wd works fine for me. If icy/variable I’ll switch to automatic 4x4. If stuck, I’ll use manual 4hi or 4lo as the situation mandates.

The Rubi tires are going to suit me better for CT winters than SelecTrac would.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
And to not have to lift and spend more on wheels and tires is a really nice thing.
The Rubicon is really the most value oriented package currently on offer in the JL lineup for those that want to wheel and modify their rig. Otherwise, you're just spending money. Lots of it.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
The Rubicon is really the most value oriented package currently on offer in the JL lineup for those that want to wheel and modify their rig. Otherwise, you're just spending money. Lots of it.

I agree, I ordered the Rubi because it checks all of the performance based items I’d have to mod on a different trim level, mine will stay OG except for a few cosmetic things I’m sure, I’ll have zero need to upgrade anything else and I’ll enjoy higher resale down the road then if I modded a lower spec and looked to recouperate any of that cost.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
But for the 4-5 snow storms a year in nyc and occasional rain storms...ogo power often do you you think AWD actually engages?

Who buys a Wrangler for NYC? Must be the same people who buy Salsa from there, or... that needs a Rubicon for the tough NYC off-roading. ;)

Whatever the arguments that go against SelecTrac in NYC goes double for a Rubicon IMO.

Not every scenario is better served by a Rubicon, people are recommending it to a soft-roader so that they can put bigger tyres and have the look/cred of an off-roader, while having a vehicle less suited for the task that is the Crux of the thread.

Always get whatever you want, but be aware when you trade form over function and looks become the driver not capability for the task required.

Sponsored

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not in my opinion, which is why I got the Rubicon. I have a 2016 Yukon XL with automatic 4x4 and I’ve used it exactly once in 2 years. Once roads are plowed, which is like right after the snow stops, 2wd works fine for me. If icy/variable I’ll switch to automatic 4x4. If stuck, I’ll use manual 4hi or 4lo as the situation mandates.

The Rubi tires are going to suit me better for CT winters than SelecTrac would.

EXACTLY!!!

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who buys a Wrangler for NYC? Must be the same people who buy Salsa from there, or... that needs a Rubicon for the tough NYC off-roading. ;)

Whatever the arguments that go against SelecTrac in NYC goes double for a Rubicon IMO.

Not every scenario is better served by a Rubicon, people are recommending it to a soft-roader so that they can put bigger tyres and have the look/cred of an off-roader, while having a vehicle less suited for the task that is the Crux of the thread.

Always get whatever you want, but be aware when you trade form over function and looks become the driver not capability for the task required.

NYC suburbs I should say...including upstate off roading trails on weekends

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
We won't really know the answer until we drive both jeeps in the same conditions back to back.

Otherwise it's just speculation.

I just don't think the Sahara looks rugged enough ‍♂

I started shopping JKs in October after a deer totaled my Liberty. My budget MSRP then was $41,000 for a Sahara. The Rubicon wasn’t even an option. Then I learned about the JLs and found this forum. Now, with the available options, I’m deciding between a Sahara with a $48,000 MSRP and a Rubi at $51,000. I will get it at Employee Pricing which is around 5% under invoice, but that is still a lot of $$$

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
I used to have a 4Runner with part time 4wd - my first 4wd vehicle. The first year I went over black ice 5 mins from my house on a route I take every day and snapped a wheel - I was in 2wd and not thought of switching since there was no snow on the ground. 4wd may have helped. But I'll never know for sure - as they say 4x0 is still 0 but I learnt when to switch to 4wd. I also since made sure I had good tires. In The 12th year of owning the same car with no other issues since, my brother who visiting took it to visit a friend, went over black ice and totaled it. He had not thought to switch to 4wd. He owns a subaru and never has had an accident in winter. It's not certain the both accidents would have been saved but I know that I've never had issues when in 4wd with good tires. Here in the PNW we get snow that isn't cleared right away and patches of ice and snow when the temperature rises and many cars end up on the side of the road. I've learnt to value full time 4wd and I go into the mountains regularly in winter for snowboarding and snowshoeing. I also know that I did fine with my 4Runner and can handle part time 4wd just fine and did after that first mishap for the next 12 years without issues. But that added peace of mind of not having to switch and knowing that anyone who drives the car doesn't have to worry about it ( like my wife or visiting family ) is worth it for me. I'd rather have selectrac and add off road features if I need them than not have it. I'm surprised at some of the vehemence here against it - We might as well just go back to cars with a gear box and a motor and forget about traction control and safety entirely. Technology doesn't imply that drivers are bad but technology doesn't substitute for bad driving either, but it can make a difference on a day when things are off.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Again, agree completely. Here in the mid Atlantic area is the same with snow.

Wouldn’t want to sacrifice the Rubi for Select Trac as it doesn’t seem warranted...

Ok

OK of course I agree. But for the 4-5 snow storms a year in nyc and occasional rain storms...How often do you you think AWD actually engages?

Sponsored