Sponsored

SelecTrac & the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle vs Rubicon?

pickles61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Firecracker Red
First time soon to be Wrangler Owner, and need some help, I plan on ordering this week but need to figure out all the options I will be ordering.

There are other discussions similar to this that are more technical, I’d like to get some less technical help if possible.

I live in NJ so we do have snow and black ice at times and want something that will drive well in those conditions. I do not plan on doing any rock climbing but would like to do ”easy” type of trails – beach, dirt roads, nothing too difficult.

The Sahara has SelecTrac & the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle options, would either or both of these be good options for what I am looking for? Or is the Rubicon better for this type of driving?

These are the only options I’m not sure about and would like to hear other people’s opinions.

Thank you for your help
Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
First time soon to be Wrangler Owner, and need some help, I plan on ordering this week but need to figure out all the options I will be ordering.

There are other discussions similar to this that are more technical, I’d like to get some less technical help if possible.

I live in NJ so we do have snow and black ice at times and want something that will drive well in those conditions. I do not plan on doing any rock climbing but would like to do ”easy” type of trails – beach, dirt roads, nothing too difficult.

The Sahara has SelecTrac & the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle options, would either or both of these be good options for what I am looking for? Or is the Rubicon better for this type of driving?

These are the only options I’m not sure about and would like to hear other people’s opinions.

Thank you for your help
This is the debate many of us are having; with others and with ourselves. I think it comes down to why you are buying the Jeep. If you are buying it to best meet your driving needs, the Sahara is probably best suited to your needs, as it is with mine. If you are buying it because it’s a Jeep and it is more about how the Jeep will make you feel and the whole “It’s a Jeep thing”, then the Rubicon is the way to go. For what you get, the price difference is negligible. That’s about as non-technical as I can put it. Heart over brains as another member described it. I am going with the Rubicon.

DieselPower

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Duramax
The Sahara with LSD will be better. The Rubicon’s differentials can be locked only in 4x4 Low setting. Otherwise, they are open on both axles. With the Sahara, you will have limited slip in 2wd, 4x4 high and Auto. Just get a nice set of All Terrains.

OP
OP
pickles61

pickles61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Firecracker Red
This is the debate many of us are having; with others and with ourselves. I think it comes down to why you are buying the Jeep. If you are buying it to best meet your driving needs, the Sahara is probably best suited to your needs, as it is with mine. If you are buying it because it’s a Jeep and it is more about how the Jeep will make you feel and the whole “It’s a Jeep thing”, then the Rubicon is the way to go. For what you get, the price difference is negligible. That’s about as non-technical as I can put it. Heart over brains as another member described it. I am going with the Rubicon.
Thank you for the replies. Still not sure what to order, I'm leaning towards the Rubicon, there isn't much of a price difference and it's a Rubicon. As long as the Rubicon is good in the snow, I think that is what I will be ordering . My 18 year old son thinks he will be driving this instead of me (Single Mom) nope, he's wrong, I will let him drive it sometimes but it will be my Jeep not his.

Sponsored

Amalm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
Personally, I have a TJ Rubicon, so I’m speaking from experience here; go with the sahara selec trac. It will be better for the conditions you plan on driving in. Rubicons, and most wranglers, have a part-time 4wd system that isn’t supposed to be used on the street unless conditions are very slippery. You shouldn’t leave it on all the time just in case there’s black ice. That will damage it. You need to understand what you’re buying.

When you get sucked into the world of offroad Jeeping you can make your next purchase a rubicon if you want.

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
I’m having this same argument with myself. I’m a former Wrangler owner (‘93 YJ, and ‘07 JKU), who’s been driving a Patriot for the last few years (yes, I feel great shame). :facepalm: Here in west central Florida, snow is never an issue, and icy roads are extremely rare. Slick roads from rain are the most prevalent, as well as driving through flooded intersections during summer storms. As someone described earlier, it’s definitely a brains versus heart decision. I’m not really an off-roader, though it’s definitely a possibility on occasion. The capabilities of the Rubicon fit my “always be prepared” mindset. Based on my build out, I’m comparing a Sahara with Selectrac for 44K versus a Rubicon for 48K. Anyone care to offer their wisdom?

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I’m having this same argument with myself. I’m a former Wrangler owner (‘93 YJ, and ‘07 JKU), who’s been driving a Patriot for the last few years (yes, I feel great shame). :facepalm: Here in west central Florida, snow is never an issue, and icy roads are extremely rare. Slick roads from rain are the most prevalent, as well as driving through flooded intersections during summer storms. As someone described earlier, it’s definitely a brains versus heart decision. I’m not really an off-roader, though it’s definitely a possibility on occasion. The capabilities of the Rubicon fit my “always be prepared” mindset. Based on my build out, I’m comparing a Sahara with Selectrac for 44K versus a Rubicon for 48K. Anyone care to offer their wisdom?
Do you plan on doing any mods to your rig?

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Do you plan on doing any mods to your rig?
I’d say it’s always a possibility, though I wouldn’t expect anything immediately. Why? What’s the consideration? Thanks!

Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d say it’s always a possibility, though I wouldn’t expect anything immediately. Why? What’s the consideration? Thanks!
A lot of Jeep owners like to throw 35’s on their Jeep

In a Sahara you’d need a lift, fenders, spacers and a computer reconfiguration. whereas on a Rubi you just slap them on (all this per jeep, there are rumors that 35’s will “fit” the other models but you will not get full articulation and prolly rub a bit)

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
A lot of Jeep owners like to throw 35’s on their Jeep

In a Sahara you’d need a lift, fenders, spacers and a computer reconfiguration. whereas on a Rubi you just slap them on (all this per jeep, there are rumors that 35’s will “fit” the other models but you will not get full articulation and prolly rub a bit)
That’s a great point! At the very least, I would likely consider going to 35s when it was time to replace the 33s. The Rubicon would make that much easier.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So for your 4K you are getting

Power dome hood
Better stronger axels (front and rear)
Electronic disconnect sway bar
Better gears
Lockers
Hi-line fenders
STD 33” A/T tires
Better resale

Do you need that stuff, probably not.
Are they cool, F YEAH!

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a great point! At the very least, I would likely consider going to 35s when it was time to replace the 33s. The Rubicon would make that much easier.
Also your Sahara would be losing a lot of power with the std gear ratios it comes with after throwing on 35’s

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
So for your 4K you are getting

Power dome hood
Better stronger axels (front and rear)