Select Increments JLJT Pods (Review)

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Rubicon 392, '16 Challenger Hellcat
So I had been looking at these for my Rubicon with Alpine system and thought I would give them a try.

The kit includes two pods that replace the stock speaker grilles. The pods are strong, sturdy and very
well made and the texture matches the JL’s interior very well. You also get a set of Kicker component
speakers with titanium tweeters and 6.75” woofers (Kit PN CSS67).

Also included in the kit is Metra wire adapters for both woofers and tweeters, foam gasketing and all
needed hardware. This is a complete kit that requires you to buy nothing else. At first glance, the price
may seem high but for everything you get in one package it is very reasonably priced. Instructions are
very well laid out and leave no guesswork. The pods are precut for both woofer and tweeter, so
everything is just ready to go.

I did one side (left) first by removing the stock Alpine speakers then adding the pod with the Kickers on
the left side. I must say that I was very disappointed to see what the “upgraded” Alpine speakers looked
like when I removed them. The 3.5” look like speakers from a 70s transistor radio (yes, I’m that old to
know).

After replacing one side I did a sound check with various types of music and played around with the
fader and balance. I should note that prior to the sound bar, I had replaced the dash speakers with
Infinity 3032cfx. So first, fading to the front is nice and clear/crisp. Then fading to the rear left with the
Kickers is now also nice, clear and crisp while setting fader/balance to the rear right is muffled and
muddy sounding, pretty crappy actually.

I then proceeded to replace the right rear soundbar speakers with the pod and Kickers. Did the sound
check again and now front and rear sound equally good. I’m sure there is some muddiness with the
front kick panel speakers as I did not replace these (as these are a PITA to do so) but the new dash
speakers help the front dramatically.

One other disappointment I found was there is not a ton of volume coming from the sound bar OEM
speakers as this how Jeep/Alpine designed this system. The Kickers will not add much volume, but they
will improve the sound that may give you better volume when turning it up as all the speakers work
together to provide the overall experience. And I must say when installed, this is a really nice-looking
package that looks OEM if you didn’t know it.

So, to me this was a good way to improve the Alpine without spending a ton of cash. And if I want to add
an amp later down the road to get the full benefit of better speakers in the sound bar, I can do so
relatively easily and at a not so huge cost.

Pictures follow...
Jeep Wrangler JL Select Increments JLJT Pods (Review) PXL_20220117_151000770
Jeep Wrangler JL Select Increments JLJT Pods (Review) PXL_20220117_150337776
Jeep Wrangler JL Select Increments JLJT Pods (Review) PXL_20220117_151336627
Jeep Wrangler JL Select Increments JLJT Pods (Review) PXL_20220117_151059311
Jeep Wrangler JL Select Increments JLJT Pods (Review) PXL_20220108_001526200
Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Looks good. Thanks for the writeup. I have a set of Infinity 6.5 components with those adapters waiting on my 22 JLURD to get here (supposed to ship today 1-21). I also have a Pioneer W6600NEX to install in the new one. I have a 2009 JK that came with the factory Infinity and replacing the 730 with Pioneer was a substantial increase in sound quality and volume. I think that the factory systems do not feed the amp as much signal as the aftermarket HU's. Also the factory systems attenuate the high's and lows compared to an aftermarket HU. My wife has a 21 JLURD with the 8.4 nav and Alpine and IMO the amp could take more gain coming off the HU. Hoping this is the case. Install write up on that coming soon.

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good. Thanks for the writeup. I have a set of Infinity 6.5 components with those adapters waiting on my 22 JLURD to get here (supposed to ship today 1-21). I also have a Pioneer W6600NEX to install in the new one. I have a 2009 JK that came with the factory Infinity and replacing the 730 with Pioneer was a substantial increase in sound quality and volume. I think that the factory systems do not feed the amp as much signal as the aftermarket HU's. Also the factory systems attenuate the high's and lows compared to an aftermarket HU. My wife has a 21 JLURD with the 8.4 nav and Alpine and IMO the amp could take more gain coming off the HU. Hoping this is the case. Install write up on that coming soon.

Good luck on the new Jeep. Hope you don't have a long wait.

Curious to see how that HU works out for you. Are you going to lose any of the Uconnect integration?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel

Curious to see how that HU works out for you. Are you going to lose any of the Uconnect integration?
I use Carplay almost exclusively. Installing the Pioneer with one of these:

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXPIO-JL1

The AXPIO-JL is pre programmed to talk to the car so, I don't think that I will loose many features except for the Off Road pages from the Nav system but if I am headed that far off the path, I always bring a DeLorme map along.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase

How are you liking this upgrade after 6 months? I’m thinking of doing the same and also adding 6.5" coaxial JBL Club 622's on the Select Increments JLJT Pods.

Sponsored

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are you liking this upgrade after 6 months? I’m thinking of doing the same and also adding 6.5" coaxial JBL Club 622's on the Select Increments JLJT Pods.
I like it pretty well. For the money, it's a decent upgrade. I mainly play Pandora over Bluetooth and max volume about 24 and it's plenty loud and sound is good. I listen to a lot of different genres and some definitely sound better than others.

I think if you want much better, much more volume, it's gonna cost you a lot more. And if you're going top off driving a lot, you may want something with more power.

But then again, you can always add an amp just for the sound bar speakers if you go this route.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I like it pretty well. For the money, it's a decent upgrade. I mainly play Pandora over Bluetooth and max volume about 24 and it's plenty loud and sound is good. I listen to a lot of different genres and some definitely sound better than others.

I think if you want much better, much more volume, it's gonna cost you a lot more. And if you're going top off driving a lot, you may want something with more power.

But then again, you can always add an amp just for the sound bar speakers if you go this route.
On the other hand, I may just purchase the pods and add Alpine S-S65C speakers so they match with the rear Alpine Sub.

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the other hand, I may just purchase the pods and add Alpine S-S65C speakers so they match with the rear Alpine Sub.
Just pay attention to the impedance of whatever you put in. I believe the factory Alpines are low, ~2 ohms or so.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Just pay attention to the impedance of whatever you put in. I believe the factory Alpines are low, ~2 ohms or so.
so are you saying that Alpine S-S65C would not be compatible due to low ohms?

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They would work, however they may play at a slightly lower volume. I don't recall what the impedance of the Kicker speakers were. I also measured the impedance of the factory Alpines and I seem to remember they measured over 2 ohms, maybe 3.

You can always try calling/chatting with Crutchfield. Their folks are very knowledgeable and helpful, even if you don't wind up buying from them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So looked at the Kickers and they seem to be 4 ohms as well with Sensitivity at 90 db and the Alpine S-S65C is 888 db so they are very close. I'm thinking this is better than the factory Alpines which is why I did not lose any volume.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i wanted to keep my entire set up with Alpine brand since i already have the Alpine woofer in the rear from the factory.

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i wanted to keep my entire set up with Alpine brand since i already have the Alpine woofer in the rear from the factory.
Sure, I get it. Hope this works out for you.

Post it up here if you decide to do it.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Just completed the JLJT pod install w/ kickers for Alpine, and now have static/muddled sound coming out of my left dash speaker (Terra Acoustic). No issues previously. It started immediately after installing the passenger side sound bar speaker. Anyone encounter the same issue or have thoughts as to what I may have screwed up?

OP
OP
407Lou

407Lou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just completed the JLJT pod install w/ kickers for Alpine, and now have static/muddled sound coming out of my left dash speaker (Terra Acoustic). No issues previously. It started immediately after installing the passenger side sound bar speaker. Anyone encounter the same issue or have thoughts as to what I may have screwed up?
I replaced my front dash speakers with the Infinities and had no issues whatsoever when I installed the pods and Kickers. I'm sure you paid attention to the polarity of the speaker wires as that may possibly be the only thing to check. I know that the speaker adapter cables I bought for the dash speakers were wired backwards and I had to de-pin the connectors and swap the wires first.
Sponsored