Sponsored

Selec-Trac full time 4x4 4WD system discussions

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think the manual shifter is quite stylish. Wish the automatic one was like that, but at least it's better than that hideous one that got Chekov killed.
Sponsored

2stoned

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sj413, sx4
Ref. to picture in post 102.
As you can still install Eaton e-lockers in thee Sahara diffs,
maybe we could purchase the switches from them and perhaps even have the computer display your lockers in the dash.
Hope this would be an option.
Would like my "homebuild Ruby" to have full time 4WD.
Prefer AWD in thee snow and slush.

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Ref. to picture in post 102.
As you can still install Eaton e-lockers in thee Sahara diffs,
maybe we could purchase the switches from them and perhaps even have the computer display your lockers in the dash.
Hope this would be an option.
Would like my "homebuild Ruby" to have full time 4WD.
Prefer AWD in thee snow and slush.

Weirdly enough the early pics of the SelecTrac 4Auto in the 7ā€ instrument cluster show it with a centre diff locked and front & rear locked, so the capability to display is there, however whether they will offer either the locker option on the Sahara or access to that info/input/display is eqally questionable.

Personally I would love the Eaton LSD+Locker option, for LSD on snowy/icey highways and Locker for the steep & deep.

9C656915-C361-4CCC-A4F8-B6FA94DFCC5C.jpeg

2stoned

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sj413, sx4
OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t remember the model name anymore, I was considering it for the Rubi 2+ years ago. It was an option I had read about at the time, and seemed like a perfect fit for me as I find advantages to each for my use especially since I go from icey & dry highways to waist deep snow quite often.
Unfortunately never got the chance ad the Rubi got KIAā€™ed just at the time the warrnty expired and the experimental mods were about to begin.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Weirdly enough the early pics of the SelecTrac 4Auto in the 7ā€ instrument cluster show it with a centre diff locked and front & rear locked, so the capability to display is there, however whether they will offer either the locker option on the Sahara or access to that info/input/display is eqally questionable.
9C656915-C361-4CCC-A4F8-B6FA94DFCC5C.jpeg
If that was ever planned to be a real dash, I would say that it is more likely a Rubicon with SelecTrac, than a Sahara with locking F&R differentials and a sway bar disconnect.

Adding my $0.02, I don't know of any technical reason why a SelecTrac couldn't offer a 4:1 low 4WD mode.

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that was ever planned to be a real dash, I would say that it is more likely a Rubicon with SelecTrac, than a Sahara with locking F&R differentials and a sway bar disconnect.

Adding my $0.02, I don't know of any technical reason why a SelecTrac couldn't offer a 4:1 low 4WD mode.
Iā€™d be fine with either, I have no real preference for either trim level (have had plain Sahara JKU, Rubi JKU, and now Sahara based SE), I just want the features more than the badge. The swaybar status indicator also points to a Rubi as well. Of course it also could just be displaying ā€˜all features illuminatedā€™ which would be showing a setup that is not configurable.

There isnā€™t any technical reason I know of they couldnā€™t offer SelecTrac with a 4:1 low ratio it would just require an increased planetary gear set. They just havenā€™t offered it sofar, and while I would prefer it for my intended use of mountain climbing & descent, however IMO for the intended target market it would likely be overkill.

2stoned

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sj413, sx4
Thanks for all the info you provide guys, really apresiate it.
It would have been nice if they had offered a three speed box.
One speed for the highway, one for sand/dirt/mud and one for crawling.
An option used to be something like an attached crawler like the "Ruby-crawler" (Though that now gives you 4 speeds).
I would really like to keep the AllWheelDrive (FullTime). In my JLU.
Was planning on changing the axles for some bigger rubbers anyway.
LSD with the option of fully locking the differentials would really be nice.
All of thee options, none of thee limitations :) YabaDabaDoo!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If we donā€™t even know the identity of the manual transmission yet, which people can already order, then we wonā€™t know the identity of the model of the Transfer Case they will be calling SelecTrac in the JL, until/unless it is announced in the launch in L.A. at the end of the month, if then.

The manual trans. is an Aisin unit, which was the brand used in YJ and TJ. The window sticker screen shots show the unit to be produced in Japan.

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The manual trans. is an Aisin unit, which was the brand used in YJ and TJ. The window sticker screen shots show the unit to be produced in Japan.
Yeah, we know that now (and the first gear ratio 5.13), and even have a model number (D478) that still doesnā€™t appear on Aisinā€™s site.
However, at the time the quote was written (on Nov 4th, 3+ weeks before LA) we didnā€™t know the model; and yet still now donā€™t know the torque specs or all the gears.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-videos-info-and-q-a.2070/page-10#post-28603

Was hoping for a follow-up from LA in these reviews released today, yet still nothing.

At least now we know the SelecTrac model is the MP3022 unfortunately, and not the NV242.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Yeah, we know that now (and the first gear ratio 5.13), and even have a model number (D478) that still doesnā€™t appear on Aisinā€™s site.
However, at the time the quote was written (on Nov 4th, 3+ weeks before LA) we didnā€™t know the model; and yet still now donā€™t know the torque specs or all the gears.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-videos-info-and-q-a.2070/page-10#post-28603

Was hoping for a follow-up from LA in these reviews released today, yet still nothing.

At least now we know the SelecTrac model is the MP3022 unfortunately, and not the NV242.
I've been eager to get more info on the new D478 manual transmission. There is a mention in a Motor Trend article test drive. Not sure what to make of the clutch pedal comment, unfortunately the author does not elaborate:

"The next morning, leaving camp with the worst obstacles behind us, I decided I needed more than a mere trail run with the manual transmission. Itā€™s a new Aisin unit with a shift linkage that has taken out most of the previous modelā€™s slop. Were it not for the funky clutch pedal, Iā€™d have nothing to complain about. The gates are easy to find, and the throws are short enough for a truck." (Motor Trend)

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Am I mistaken or a lot of these reviews released today talking like Selec-trac is standard on the Sahara? Every where else Iā€™ve seen on here says itā€™s optional...

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Am I mistaken or a lot of these reviews released today talking like Selec-trac is standard on the Sahara? Every where else Iā€™ve seen on here says itā€™s optional...
Itā€™s optional. It may have just been that FCA only provided those reviewers to exposure to the one Sahara, so assumptions were made or statements not properly clarified as a result.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s optional. It may have just been that FCA only provided those reviewers to exposure to the one Sahara, so assumptions were made or statements not properly clarified as a result.
Thatā€™s what I was assuming but I wouldnā€™t complain if I got it in the Sahara ;)

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s what I was assuming but I wouldnā€™t complain if I got it in the Sahara ;)
Yeah, Iā€™m still on the fence because there are tradeoffs, not just for the Sahara vs Rubi options like locker options (which may be addressed by SEs) but concern about the MP3022 engaging this pseudo-PT often as I would be using it a lot for engine braking downhill as well as ascension on tougher sections, if it were the NV242 I would have no such qualms/concerns.
Sponsored