Sponsored

Selec-Trac - Does adding lockers later cause a problem?

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

My 2018 JLU was totaled after being rear-ended by an F-150 traveling at near highway speed. Though I'd rather it all had not happened, I am in the market for a replacement vehicle.

One of the things I am looking is a Willys with the Selec-Trac option.
All of that comes with the factory LSD.

Question: If I replace the LSD with lockers later, that is going to be an open differential on the road.
Is that going to cause a problem with the Selec-Trac not having the factory LSD?
I'd mostly like to hear from people who either know for sure because they have done exactly that, or have good first-hand knowledge.

Thanks -
Mark
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I ordered a Rubicon with Rock-Trac, which is basically the exact same thing, and Rubicons come factory with selectable lockers in the front and rear. This leads me to believe it shouldn’t be a problem to modify your Willys this way.

Someone who knows exactly how the system works could tell you for sure, but worst comes to worst you could probably swap in some Rubicon take-off axles and purchase any new components you might need to adapt from the selec-trac to Rock-Trac, if there’s even a difference.

But if you’re swapping axels anyways and wouldn’t go over the D44’s in the Rubicon, it might be more cost effective to start with a Rubicon and Rock-Trac.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if anyone has replaced a JL with selec-trac from LSD to locker but I would not think it would cause an issue considering you can order a Rubicon (open diff with lockers) with rock-trac which is the same thing as selec-trac just a different ratio.

Our 80th has Selec-Trac and my Rubicon has Rock-Trac, no difference when engaged.

OP
OP
mark203

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

[...snipped...]

But if you’re swapping axels anyways and wouldn’t go over the D44’s in the Rubicon, it might be more cost effective to start with a Rubicon and Rock-Trac.
Agreed - I am looking at the Willys with the newly available xTreme Recon package which uses the same axles as the Rubicon xTreme Recon package minus the lockers. A similarly equipped Rubicon is about $10k more - so in reality it is close to a wash by the time it is all said and done. If we were living in the days of 7% under invoice orders it would be a no brainer, but I'm cutting things closer for cash flow right now

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed - I am looking at the Willys with the newly available xTreme Recon package which uses the same axles as the Rubicon xTreme Recon package minus the lockers. A similarly equipped Rubicon is about $10k more - so in reality it is close to a wash by the time it is all said and done. If we were living in the days of 7% under invoice orders it would be a no brainer, but I'm cutting things closer for cash flow right now
Check out Petersons in Nampa, ID. That is one of the dealers that usually has discounts.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
All of these are open diffs once the lsd wears out, which can happen pretty quickly. No issue.