First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURXR, '11 Challenger SE
Build Thread
Link
Seems crazy to me that a factory vehicle can come off the line with wheels that are not DOT approved. That being said, I would thing most Jeepers that want to get out and crawl will change out the wheels and tires even if they bought the XR package.

I’m looking at the Icon Rebound Pros and the Hutchinson Rock Monsters. I’d love to hear some constructive feedback on this subject to a newbie like me. Feel free to either post a link to your build within the site or pictures with your opinions. Also, I’d be interested in the tires you’d think is a nice balance for Mall vs Rock Crawling. This will be my everyday ride as I want to get my Challenger off the road and start restomodding (topic for another day on another forum, lol).
Sponsored

OP
OP
MrGoodByte

MrGoodByte

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Interesting. Do you have any information on this additional beadlock? Seems like a cheaper option.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
They come with the ability to change them from standard (DOT) to bead lock (off road only). It's a marketing thing really. You wanna be badass, order the bead locks, yeah! You actually wanna use your rig as a daily driver like 99% of the other folks on the road, get the bead locks, yeah! It's so you look cool and can brag to your friends.

It only seems crazy because you probably don't "need" them. If you "need" them and want the option of both styles, it's cheaper than two sets of wheels. Makes perfect sense, if you "need" two sets of wheels.

The Mopar catalog includes: "Note: Lock Ring for off-road use only ."

ETA: most people that "need" bead locks just buy a set of bead lock wheels.

OP
OP
MrGoodByte

MrGoodByte

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. I’ll do some more research (and then end up buying a set of DOT approved beadlocks at some point). I don’t even have my rig, yet. Just planning on what I want to do when I do get it.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@MrGoodByte Just wondering why you would go through the hassle of bead locks to run them on the road? Really, wondering. Why would you want DOT bead locks?

OP
OP
MrGoodByte

MrGoodByte

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@MrGoodByte Just wondering why you would go through the hassle of bead locks to run them on the road? Really, wondering. Why would you want DOT bead locks?
This will be a on and off road vehicle. When I go off road, I don’t want to have to change my setup just to go play on the weekends. Plus, I don’t want any static if I am riding them on the street as I won’t be trailering this Jeep to go play either. I usually buy the higher level of what I need so I don’t get caught in a jam later. I know plenty of people don’t crawl with beadlocks, but I’d rather have the ability to air down to whatever is needed and still drive it home somewhat comfortably. Of course, I’m open to opinions from more knowledgeable Jeepers than me.

MilkSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
If you're just worried about having them to and from the trail on weekends, I doubt anyone is going to notice or hassle you over them. You'd have to really piss a cop off to get that type of ticket. Even then play stupid, it's just a fix it ticket

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I have Hutchinsons. Read that thread. No matter your beadlocks, they require regular maintenance. Mine have been swapped around so much they don’t hold air so good anymore. I have to top off once a month if I haven’t been offroad.
They also increase steering strain when aired down. I’ve gotten used to it, but it bothered me at first.
Finally, be prepared for repeat mounting if you want them road force balanced. I did beads my first 2 tire sets. They would occasionally foul a valve core and force me to break it down to replace the core (part would come off and get stuck in the stem). The most recent set of tires only balanced 2 initially. I had to take the others home to re-build with the tire rotated 180 degrees. Then they balanced.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Bead lock wheels are not illegal to drive on the road. No state had a law forbidding them. They are just not DOT approved. DOT does not write laws. Bead lock wheels are safe for road use and off road use if…. If you maintain them. DOT does not approve them because they require additional maintenance that the normal person probably will not do. A properly maintained bead lock wheel is safer than a traditional wheel in my humble opinion as they are far less likely to come off the bead.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs