Sponsored

Seeking up travel, thoughts on Bilstein 7100s?

OP
OP

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Morris 4x4 has a great deal on the Fox 2.0 shocks this weekend. I just bought a.full set for like $449 ($476 shipped) with discount code SUS10.
That's a great deal.... I'm still drawn by the allure of a little more travel, but I'll consider it.

That also pointed something interesting out that I remembered but couldn't find. The fox 2.0 0-1.5" is 16.25" compressed, and it is listed by a number of sellers as not requiring bump stop spacing (example https://www.polyperformance.com/fox...es-ifp-shocks-for-2018-jeep-jl-wrangler-front ). This would lead me to believe I would be fine at 16.10... or is there something else at play?
Sponsored

OP
OP

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ah ok. I just looked them up, are you looking at the 12" shorty? That's a pretty cool shock actually. But yea the issue is finding someone who is familiar with valving them.

Also did you measure how much droop you can get without the springs losing preload? You might not be able to run a 12" shock that droops to 28".
So I found this thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iew-stock-height-can-you-even-flex-bro.30338/

Where he's running the fox shock that droops 2" more than stock shocks on stock springs. By extension, an aftermarket spring that's 2" longer (single rate, this should hold true) should be able to droop yet another 2" (so at least to 27.85").

Edit: I should have included this in the above post, he's also running a 16.25 compressed length shock on stock bumps. Seems to be working. I'm feeling better that this might all work out like I had hoped. I still need valving info though.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thanks for the speadsheet, I should have been that organized as I was researching.

I had found the collapsed length quoted as 15.96" (front) for the Rubicon shocks (by shock surplus, I haven't measured myself, but I'd bet your numbers are more accurate), and the collapsed length of the shock I'm looking at using is 16.10". I'll have to find it, but I had another shock manufacturer recommend a shock with the same collapsed length (16.10) as an OEM replacement with no bump needed. Regardless, I don't mind shimming the bump stop 1/4" or so if it's needed when I finally put everything together.

I had read standard up travel is somewhere around 5", I'm sure with a winch and a steel bumper you're probably a bit deeper into your travel than I am (stock plastic bumper). I'd bet a 2" lift for me would end up being somewhat close to what a 3" lift would be for you.
Measure your shocks at ride height. It's a really good way to get an accurate comparison. My JLR rode very high without the winch, and I would guess that most Rubicons ride somewhere close to 20" on the front shocks (and 22.5" on the rear).

OP
OP

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Measure your shocks at ride height. It's a really good way to get an accurate comparison. My JLR rode very high without the winch, and I would guess that most Rubicons ride somewhere close to 20" on the front shocks (and 22.5" on the rear).
You're right, I'm sitting at 20.5" front, which would put me at around 4.5 up. I'd still be ok with ~6.5 up/5 down as a travel split. It should be a world better than stock.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Since you are only planning on running 33s, you may be able to actually shorten the bump stop (less than OEM).

I haven't measured myself, but if 35s fit a Rubicon with no rubbing then a 1" shorter tire radius could mean a 1" sorter bump stop. I have no idea if you'll run into other issues like axle or steering linkage clearance.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Since you are only planning on running 33s, you may be able to actually shorten the bump stop (less than OEM).

I haven't measured myself, but if 35s fit a Rubicon with no rubbing then a 1" shorter tire radius could mean a 1" sorter bump stop. I have no idea if you'll run into other issues like axle or steering linkage clearance.
You can't. Track bar and drag link will hit the frame in the front, and track bar will hit the tub in the rear.
Sponsored