Seeking opinions on options for a new order

roguebuck

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2021 JL
Hello…first time poster here. I am getting ready to order a 2021 JL and this forum looks like a great place for advice. I am not a big time off roader, and this is more of a beach buggy to enjoy my summer coastal town with the top down and doors off. Below are my top questions

1. Pricing…I have been playing dealers against each other and I am down to $300 below employee pricing. How far below that is realistic?
  2. Paint Color…..I honestly like White Paint the best, but both my teenage kids are relentlessly calling that “teenage girl jeep” color. Practically, I think white always stays clean and colors like black always look dirty. My second choice is probably a debate between the Billet Silver and Sting Gray
  3. Top….My wife is absolutely obsessed with getting the tan top. I think it looks decent, but what I do appreciate is that it would be different from most jeeps. However, I am worried that almost no one has the top and it might be a real mistake. Any perspective.
  4. SelecTrac….20 years ago I used to have an Isuzu Amigo with part time 4wd and during changing weather conditions I couldn’t really leave it in 4wd without feeling like I was damaging the system on dry turns. I have been spoiled with full time 4wd vehicles ever since. I live in Norther Ohio where weather changes fast I think I want this, but even with the 2021 expansion it requires quite a few options and will add cost. How do folks feel about Command Trac vs SelecTrac?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I'm surprised by how many pictures of white jeeps that I see on the forum. The color may be practical but I just don't identify with white and jeep. I'm sure that bunches of folks feel the same way about silver but I personally like the look of silver and tan together. Would that combo work for the wife and kids?

Later,
Johnny
Jeep Wrangler JL Seeking opinions on options for a new order CoveredBridge

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Tan top, white/silver paint and bronze wheels... mmm.
$300 below employee price is nothing. You can easily get 7% below invoice, or 12% below MSRP - by not staying local. Lots of reading to do on that topic around here.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I drove 8 hours away to save on mine...was $38k for a Sage Green Rubicon, the next closest one was $44k, a different color, and still hours away.
I would expand your search vs ordering new for your beach buggy. I like white and tan personally, great colors in the summer.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hello…first time poster here. I am getting ready to order a 2021 JL and this forum looks like a great place for advice. I am not a big time off roader, and this is more of a beach buggy to enjoy my summer coastal town with the top down and doors off. Below are my top questions

1. Pricing…I have been playing dealers against each other and I am down to $300 below employee pricing. How far below that is realistic?
  2. Paint Color…..I honestly like White Paint the best, but both my teenage kids are relentlessly calling that “teenage girl jeep” color. Practically, I think white always stays clean and colors like black always look dirty. My second choice is probably a debate between the Billet Silver and Sting Gray
  3. Top….My wife is absolutely obsessed with getting the tan top. I think it looks decent, but what I do appreciate is that it would be different from most jeeps. However, I am worried that almost no one has the top and it might be a real mistake. Any perspective.
  4. SelecTrac….20 years ago I used to have an Isuzu Amigo with part time 4wd and during changing weather conditions I couldn’t really leave it in 4wd without feeling like I was damaging the system on dry turns. I have been spoiled with full time 4wd vehicles ever since. I live in Norther Ohio where weather changes fast I think I want this, but even with the 2021 expansion it requires quite a few options and will add cost. How do folks feel about Command Trac vs SelecTrac?

You can probably get 6%-under invoice for a factory order with Affiliate or Tread Lightly. Just make sure you are not paying more then about $300 for a DOC fee. A in-stock vehicle might coat a 1%-2% more because there is little physical inventory now due to the pandemic.

Personally I like Black and White for cars. Black looks great for the first 5 minutes, ten it is a maintainence nightmare. I like white because of the reason you said about hiding dust. FCA/JEEP had problems with White grills and other plastic painted parts turning "yellow" after a while. Check to see if this is still a issue. Silver and Sting Gray are both great looking and hide dust very well. MUCH better then Black.

Tan verses Black top? Tan looks good with White and maybe Black. I don'y think I would do a Tan top with Silver or Sting Gray. I think White works well with a Tan top. VERY few dealers will order a Tan top for inventory though. Plan on ordering a factory order OR get the hard top and buy a aftermarket Tan soft top.

Get the Select-Trac based on what you say. Set and forget.

For get what the kids say, eventually they will move out. Remember…HAPPY wife is a HAPPY life. LOL! Maybe reconsider White with Tan top?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm surprised by how many pictures of white jeeps that I see on the forum. The color may be practical but I just don't identify with white and jeep. I'm sure that bunches of folks feel the same way about silver but I personally like the look of silver and tan together. Would that combo work for the wife and kids?

Later,
Johnny
Jeep Wrangler JL Seeking opinions on options for a new order CoveredBridge
I am glad you posted a pic of silver and tan. Looks good. Much better then I imagined. Nice.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tan top, white/silver paint and bronze wheels... mmm.
$300 below employee price is nothing. You can easily get 7% below invoice, or 12% below MSRP - by not staying local. Lots of reading to do on that topic around here.
The 7%-below invoice deals on a ordered 2021 are really not accurate. Most require stipulations like financing and/or a VERY high DOC fee. A true 6%-under invoice is more realistic. A exception might be if there is military or mobility or direct marketing.

OP
OP

roguebuck

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2021 JL
Is the invoice price on the order sheet? I see msrp, ff, ep, etc. But am I missing the invoice? Tia

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Is the invoice price on the order sheet? I see msrp, ff, ep, etc. But am I missing the invoice? Tia
The order sheet includes $FWP which is the "Factory Wholesale Price". You can look both at the order sheet or the "interactive worksheet" which an excel file. It calculates MSRP & FWP based on the options you select. It also calculates price depending upon % below factory invoice.

BTW, I think a tan top on an Ocean Blue would be an excellent combination. Too bad they have discontinued OB.

Sponsored

OP
OP

roguebuck

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2021 JL
The order sheet includes $FWP which is the "Factory Wholesale Price". You can look both at the order sheet or the "interactive worksheet" which an excel file. It calculates MSRP & FWP based on the options you select. It also calculates price depending upon % below factory invoice.

BTW, I think a tan top on an Ocean Blue would be an excellent combination. Too bad they have discontinued OB.

So for example...I have a configuration that has

MSRP $43,375
FWP $41,824
FFP $41,481
EP $39,993

I have them to $300 below EP which works out to about 5% below invoice or FWP.

So it seems like I am within a couple hunderd dollars of the target 6% below invoice, but a lot of early posters seemed to think I am paying far too much and should expand my search.

I just want to make sure this math and terminology is all correct.

Thanks for all the help.

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
The 7%-below invoice deals on a ordered 2021 are really not accurate. Most require stipulations like financing and/or a VERY high DOC fee. A true 6%-under invoice is more realistic. A exception might be if there is military or mobility or direct marketing.
What is considered a “VERY high DOC fee”?

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
So for example...I have a configuration that has

MSRP $43,375
FWP $41,824
FFP $41,481
EP $39,993

I have them to $300 below EP which works out to about 5% below invoice or FWP.

So it seems like I am within a couple hunderd dollars of the target 6% below invoice, but a lot of early posters seemed to think I am paying far too much and should expand my search.

I just want to make sure this math and terminology is all correct.

Thanks for all the help.
Understand that some people live in a market that have dealers willing to go 8% below invoice price and others don’t, so in the end a good deal is relative. For example, if you drive 5hrs out to me in Rockville MD, my dealer up the street will go 8% below invoice, and Craig at Koons Tyson’s VA will also go 8% below invoice (however if you are trading-in, I’d advise against Koons).

With that said, call a large number of dealers In your area and tell them that you can get 8% below invoice from one of the dealers (it’s a bluff, it’s not like they call and talk to each other - in the end when negotiating, it’s your narrative vs theirs) until one of them bites and offers to match the 8% below invoice. The more details you add to your narrative the better, so say something like... “xyz dealer is willing to offer me 8% below invoice on a factory order 2021 if I provide my tread lightly membership, it’s through the jeep forum; however I’d prefer to buy from you because you’re closer, so will you match”... make the dealers compete against each other in your area, and you’ll get the best deal possible. You can find the invoice price on the forum, others post it and this way you can build it how you want, calculate invoice $ and the 8% below, then taxes and even negotiate fees in the end (i.e. out the door price).

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
1. Pricing is not bad. If that’s what you want, run with it.
2. Forget the stereotype and other people’s opinions. Get the color that YOU want.
3. White and tan top looks really nice.
4. Whatever you get, you’ll be happy with it.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020

i

Life

Thanks for everyone's help.s

Life is too short. Get what you want. If you don't get what you want, you will always regret it. It may cost a little more, but you can't take the money to the grave with you....and your kids will waste it away.
Sponsored