Sponsored

Seeking JLU Sahara upgrade advice: axle swap or re-gear and add rear locker?

Thenckel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
Looking for advice on 2018 JLU Sahara upgrades: axle swap with rubicon axles or re-gear and add locker in rear(Detroit true trac if available).
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Looking for advice on 2018 JLU Sahara upgrades: axle swap with rubicon axles or re-gear and add locker in rear(Detroit true trac if available).
You need to provide more info...It depends on planned tire size? Daily driver? For mall crawlin or wheelin? If wheelin, how often and how difficult of terrain?

OP
OP

Thenckel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
I have on 295/75r17 MT Baja atz p3; 2.5” AEV suspension; daily driver with the intent of once a month light/medium wheeling. I am looking for the best options available. From what I have researched 4.10 gears are perfect but I am struggling with locker options. Rear only, front and rear, etc. What are the most reliable brands?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I have on 295/75r17 MT Baja atz p3; 2.5” AEV suspension; daily driver with the intent of once a month light/medium wheeling. I am looking for the best options available. From what I have researched 4.10 gears are perfect but I am struggling with locker options. Rear only, front and rear, etc. What are the most reliable brands?
Budget? If you're goal is daily driving & once a month light/medium wheelin on the equivalent of 33" tires on 2.5" lift and have an automatic transmission, I'd save the money and wheel it as is. You dont need lockers or a regear until you get on tougher trails. Your jeep is capable as is with the limited slip rear...I'd learn how to wheel it as it sits now. I bet you'll be surprised at what it can do.

If you get more serious about wheelin and/or simply want to upgrade, best bang for the buck is prob swapping in rubi axles with 4.10s/lockers and throwing on some 37s.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Thenckel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
Budget is semi-limited but I want quality parts when the time comes. Thanks for the advice. I will try it as is and see what needs to change later on. I do plan on adding steel front/rear bumpers as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Thenckel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
Budget? If you're goal is daily driving & once a month light/medium wheelin on the equivalent of 33" tires on 2.5" lift and have an automatic transmission, I'd save the money and wheel it as is. You dont need lockers or a regear until you get on tougher trails. Your jeep is capable as is with the limited slip rear...I'd learn how to wheel it as it sits now. I bet you'll be surprised at what it can do.

If you get more serious about wheelin and/or simply want to upgrade, best bang for the buck is prob swapping in rubi axles with 4.10s/lockers and throwing on some 37s.
I took it out for a spin on Some light and moderate trails. Worked just fine as is. Some wheel slipping that I think could have been handled better with a locker but overall good performance. I will keep it this way for a bit and save up the money to upgrade later down the road. I do want to gain back some fuel economy and power.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I took it out for a spin on Some light and moderate trails. Worked just fine as is. Some wheel slipping that I think could have been handled better with a locker but overall good performance. I will keep it this way for a bit and save up the money to upgrade later down the road. I do want to gain back some fuel economy and power.
Sounds like a wise plan. Bear in mind, you're never going to have the same fuel economy as stock when you increase rotational mass going to larger tires. Regearing will help get your jeep back in the powerband and make life easier on the transmission....but it's not going to do much for fuel economy and certainly wouldn't come close to paying for itself in gas mileage savings. I ran 315/70/17 ko2's with 3.45 gearing and then with 4.10 gearing and may have seen a 1 mpg increase...biggest improvement was the jeep accelerated much better and you gain use of all your gears.
Sponsored

Last edited: