Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
My take on it as many have mentioned previously:
  • End of year - got to get those 18's off the lots before they take a hit when the 19's come out
  • Motortrend SUV of the year
  • It's nearly winter - perfect time to sell how capable they are
  • 2.0's aren't selling like I think they predicted (my dealer has MANY that are still there 2 months after I bought mine but just a handful of the good ole Pentastar V6) - even Rubicon's
  • Predicted options aren't selling such as manuals and 5" Uconnect systems
  • Sticker shock - they raised the pricing a bit too steep for the market to accept*
  • The multitude of recalls (knock on wood mine has not been affected by any) - word of mouth does get around fast
  • Feds raised the interest rate - not by much but it makes a difference when financing*
* When I bought mine on 9/30 it had an incentive of about 5% off sticker. I was able to get nearly another 3% putting the purchase price at exactly what Edmunds True Market Value suggested for the type I bought in my area. Also got it when new vehicle financing was still at 4% at 4 years

I don't watch TV but rather use the internet for news, stories, etc and yes - advertisements will start popping up left and right the more you Google or read about certain items. Pick an item that doesn't interest you and most likely you will begin seeing advertisements for it. I read story not long ago on how this happens and it's via what you Google (or any sear engine) plus a whole lot more. Demographics also play a part (where you live, etc. - doubt NYC has too many advertisements for a rugged Jeep).

But that's my take. Your experience may differ :)
Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
  • End of year - got to get those 18's off the lots before they take a hit when the 19's come out
  • 2.0's aren't selling like I think they predicted (my dealer has MANY that are still there 2 months after I bought mine but just a handful of the good ole Pentastar V6) - even Rubicon's
  • Sticker shock - they raised the pricing a bit too steep for the market to accept*
  • The multitude of recalls (knock on wood mine has not been affected by any) - word of mouth does get around fast
  • Feds raised the interest rate - not by much but it makes a difference when financing*
* When I bought mine on 9/30 it had an incentive of about 5% off sticker. I was able to get nearly another 3% putting the purchase price at exactly what Edmunds True Market Value suggested for the type I bought in my area. Also got it when new vehicle financing was still at 4% at 4 years

I don't watch TV but rather use the internet for news, stories, etc and yes - advertisements will start popping up left and right the more you Google or read about certain items. Pick an item that doesn't interest you and most likely you will begin seeing advertisements for it. I read story not long ago on how this happens and it's via what you Google (or any sear engine) plus a whole lot more. Demographics also play a part (where you live, etc. - doubt NYC has too many advertisements for a rugged Jeep).

you are correct on the Google and interest thing you've experienced. its a lot more sophisticated than what you describe but you've got the gist of it. Facebook and Google take to a whole other level. Ive been in the ad industry for 35 years

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

I wouldn't read that much into it. They have record high sales. This is just normal seasonal stuff I think.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Interesting that they are spending advertising money when the sales records have been huge for the Wrangler. Perhaps the trough is running dry now.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Interesting that they are spending advertising money when the sales records have been huge for the Wrangler. Perhaps the trough is running dry now.
its not about trough running dry - especially Wrangler.

Its about maintaining share at a time when every one else has spiked their ad spend. Advertisers do it all the time. If competitive ad spend is light and you are on a sales roll, you save your ad $ for when the competition notches up their ad spend to maintain your sales roll or at least not get buried by competitor giveaways.

Many auto companies deal heavily this time of year. So an increase ad spend $ and deals from competition could mean consumers spend their money elsewhere. The folks who are diehard Jeep fans will buy the jeep at some point, no ad $ will change that. But for those on the fence or looking at options or potential brand new to Jeep franchise - then jeep share amongst this type of folks could be threatened by someone shouting louder and giving crap away.

That's just one scenario. There lots more for a reason to spend.

Ive seen client spend $ at the end of the year because they had $ allocated for a disaster or a reason that never came to be but they need to spend it - other wise they lose that in next years budget.

Another reason to spend is to steal folks who would normally go to another auto brand because this time of year is frenzy - So its opportunity money to grab incremental buyers to share shift to Jeep.

Or maybe there's another brand whose trough is running dry and more Jeep spend can accelerate that decline.

Wrangler is far from being in trouble.

Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP

Its about maintaining share at a time when every one else has spiked their ad spend. Advertisers do it all the time. If competitive ad spend is light and you are on a sales roll, you save your ad $ for when the competition notches up their ad spend to maintain your sales roll or at least not get buried by competitor giveaways.

Many auto companies deal heavily this time of year. So an increase ad spend $ and deals from competition could mean consumers spend their money elsewhere. The folks who are diehard Jeep fans will buy the jeep at some point, no ad $ will change that. But for those on the fence or looking at options or potential brand new to Jeep franchise - then jeep share amongst this type of folks could be threatened by someone shouting louder and giving crap away.

Ive seen client spend $ at the end of the year because they had $ allocated for a disaster or a reason that never came to be but they need to spend it - other wise they lose that in next years budget.

Another reason to spend is to steal folks who would normally go to another auto brand because this time of year is frenzy - So its opportunity money to grab incremental buyers to share shift to Jeep.

Or maybe there's another brand whose trough is running dry and more Jeep spend can accelerate that decline.

No one is saying they are in trouble. It is the hypocrisy associated with the spending. If they are doing well why not save the money or distribute elsewhere? That is all.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No one is saying they are in trouble. It is the hypocrisy associated with the spending. If they are doing well why not save the money or distribute elsewhere? That is all.
Because it is a competitive business. You can't afford to coast.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Excellent post. Thank you.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I believe I saw one being shot in Vegas in may, me and my wife were in valley of fire driving buggies.
we had to reroute once to stay away from them
Saw 1 black JL, and a red JL with camera crews down the valley a ways on trails, being followed by light blue pickup trucks and drones
It would be really cool if I saw that commercial on tv.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Because it is a competitive business. You can't afford to coast.
Really? So quality control.gets the ax and advertising gets the money. How wonderful of them to pretend they are Goldilocks and not the wolf.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Really? So quality control.gets the ax and advertising gets the money. How wonderful of them to pretend they are Goldilocks and not the wolf.
I don't really understand what you are saying. You have to invest in lots of things to be a successful car company. Advertising is one of them.

The main point is the presence of ads during the Holiday season is not directly correlated with the current success of the product. It's just not that simple. It also doesn't mean they are taking money away from quality to run pretty ads or whatever you are trying to imply.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
I don't really understand what you are saying. You have to invest in lots of things to be a successful car company. Advertising is one of them.

The main point is the presence of ads during the Holiday season is not directly correlated with the current success of the product. It's just not that simple. It also doesn't mean they are taking money away from quality to run pretty ads or whatever you are trying to imply.
its a troll ignore it

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP

Okay, I will dumb it down a little more for you The money is not being invested in quality control in all areas. This is where good money is obviously needed. They are promoting a poorly made product to dumb consumers. It is near criminal.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
They are promoting a poorly made product to dumb consumers.
Poorly made? I don't thinks so. The quality of materials used and over all fit & finish is head and shoulders above the model that it is replacing (JK). Why are you here on this forum?

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
You're right but it was fun trying to take a stab at it. :) You and @Jeepmarkjl obviously know the industry very well so for that I thank you both for the informative information as it really makes sense now and is very interesting.
Sponsored