First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
So a group of us, about 4-5 Jeep couples, are heading to Sedona for a long weekend May 6-10. This is a small couples vacation/get-away. Do you guys and girls familiar with the area have suggestions for trails and other things to do in the area? Trails, hikes, sightseeing, dinner ideas?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So a group of us, about 4-5 Jeep couples, are heading to Sedona for a long weekend May 6-10. This is a small couples vacation/get-away. Do you guys and girls familiar with the area have suggestions for trails and other things to do in the area? Trails, hikes, sightseeing, dinner ideas?
Haven't done them yet but a couple Badge of Honor trails not too far away
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/85-schnebly-hill-road
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1411-backway-to-crown-king-arizona

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Broken Arrow is a great “half day” off-road trail; awesome scenery. The trailhead is just out of town; you can start early, enjoy some Jeep fun, and be back in town for lunch.

Fay Canyon is an easy out-and-back hike that takes you into a canyon with the red rocks towering above you. Also, it has some shade, with is kinda nice. Convenient parking area just across the road from the trailhead.

Oak Creek Canyon is a very scenic pavement drive that starts just outside town. There is a trout farm in Oak Creek Canyon where you can cook and eat your catch...(just in case someone brings the kids!)

mac6898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
Broken Arrow is a must when you're there. It's pretty busy with all the Pink Jeep tours cruising around, but definitely worth it! The views are absolutely amazing! I think Diamondback Gultch (I believe it used to be called Greasy Spoon if you try to search it) and Van Deren Cabin are pretty fun as well. My opinion on Schnebly Hill is that it's better coming down from the I-17 into Sedona than the other way. Make sure to air down on that one... it'll rattle your teeth pretty good down closer to town!

Speaking the Jeep tours, it's actually a pretty fun experience. Most of the drivers are awesome and it could be a fun group outing for you all. There is no shortage of great restaurants and shopping... check out Tlaquepaque.

Have fun!

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Another you might wanna look at is Soldier's Pass. It's very limited to get a vehicle pass, something like a dozen a day, but there are lots of people that walk it.

For Schnebly Hill, would highly recommend hitting that during the day. We did it at night and it wasn't a very enjoyable trail for our group. It's not a very technical trail, more of a rough road, so we missed the scenery which woulda made it a lot nicer.

BCFRJeeper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Food-
Ok so if you are in Sedona and get VERY hungry go about an 1:15 minute drive South on I-17 to Black Canyon City to a restaurant called Four Bees Cafe. It's a hole in the wall joint but the food is sooooo good, if you get the pancakes only order ONE... they have to use a snow shovel to flip them because they're so big.

https://four-bees-cafe.business.site/

Things to see-
Chapel of the Holy Cross is a very beautiful church that's built into the side of the canyon, definitely a cool place to check out if the lines aren't too long.

Slide Rock State Park, bring your bathing suits and hit the natural rock slide, it's a great place to chill and just be with friends but it can get kind of busy so if it is, just hit the hiking trails around it.

The Petrified National Forest is a 2-3 hr drive East of Sedona if you're up for the drive.

There's also a bunch of craters and Sunset Crater Volcano National Park just a 1:10 minute drive North of Sedona too that's pretty scenic and away from the busy Sedona area.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
As others have stated, Broken Arrow is a great trail. Try for shortly after sunrise as the red rocks are awesome then. Great views at this time at Submarine Rock. Bonus: most side-by-sides won't be out in the early morning. Also, Soldier Pass is a short but scenic trail, and a day specific pass is required. Also, Schnebly Hill Road offers some awesome views overlooking all of Sedona. Food: the Coffee Pot for breakfast or lunch (expect a wait) and Elite for dinner (if you can get a table). While there, if you want a non-Jeep side trip, check out Jerome. Cool little artsy town on the side of a mountain. Have fun!

PXL_20201230_225845173~2.jpg

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Darn spell check! The restaurant is Elote'. In Jerome, Bobby D's BBQ or Haunted Hamburger are good places to grab a bite.

OP
OP
Keith C

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We had a fun trip. Did Broken Arrow, Diamondback Gulch and Schnebly Hill. Unfortunately for me, my group wanted to (and did) stop what seemed like every half mile so they could enjoy a cocktail. I just wanted to wheel some good trails and would have gladly done 2-3 trails per day but we only did 1 each day. Also checked out Slide Rock, Devil's Bridge and hiked on Bell rock.
Had excellent food at Colt Grill! The smoked meats were amazing!
Trails were not challenging at all but the scenery was awesome. My wife and I definitely plan to go back and do some more trails, both in the Jeep and on foot!

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We had a fun trip. Did Broken Arrow, Diamondback Gulch and Schnebly Hill. Unfortunately for me, my group wanted to (and did) stop what seemed like every half mile so they could enjoy a cocktail. I just wanted to wheel some good trails and would have gladly done 2-3 trails per day but we only did 1 each day. Also checked out Slide Rock, Devil's Bridge and hiked on Bell rock.
Trails were not challenging at all but the scenery was awesome. My wife and I definitely plan to go back and do some more trails, both in the Jeep and on foot!
This thread has been great read and perfect as the wife and I will be heading out there 6/20-23

So most of these trails are perfect for a noob in a Roob with 35's no lift? :blush:

yeah, sorry about the group holding you back , that usually what happens when you have too many people who all can't agree on anything .....we will probably going solo or maybe just one other Jeep couple....as it is always a good idea to have at least one other Jeep with you.

Can't wait!!!

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I know its too late now but when you go back to Sedona check out El Rincon Restaurante Mexicano, me and the wife had lunch there a year ago and it was great.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that place was amazing!!! only had two full days there, but luckily it was the last two days before they shut down the entire forrest.....wish I had at least a week to explore that whole area, it is absolutely gorgeous!!!
We did Dry Creek trail all the way to the end and checked out the Van Deren cabin and did Schnebly Hill the second day.... our first real off-road trip in the new JLUR and was very impressed to say the least in it's capability
we will def be back there again!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Sedona trip suggestions IMG_0490

Jeep Wrangler JL Sedona trip suggestions tempImagerbfFLk

Jeep Wrangler JL Sedona trip suggestions IMG_0383

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
that place was amazing!!! only had two full days there, but luckily it was the last two days before they shut down the entire forrest.....wish I had at least a week to explore that whole area, it is absolutely gorgeous!!!
We did Dry Creek trail all the way to the end and checked out the Van Deren cabin and did Schnebly Hill the second day.... our first real off-road trip in the new JLUR and was very impressed to say the least in it's capability
we will def be back there again!!

Did you log in to get your Badge of Honor on Schnebly??

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you log in to get your Badge of Honor on Schnebly??
I actually tried real quick, but the service was pretty bad out there so I didn't waste much time with that app....it wouldn't open up once you clicked on "Schnebly Hill" or I just didn't know how to use it properly. I thought Dry Creek was much more fun and challenging to tell you truth.
Sponsored