Sponsored

Security Related Accessories / Theft Prevention

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
You could get the locked console lid open with your bare hands. Kill switch is easier, very inexpensive and easy to hide. I set mine up as an anti car jacking device too. L.A. may be bad, but it is everywhere.
If somebody tries to carjack me by violence, I'm letting them have it and putting in an insurance claim. There is no way that I'm getting shot or stabbed for my Jeep.

au176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander, 2014 HD Road King
I think my thought process on this is that I might want to soft top it in the summertime and would hate to have someone cut open the soft top, unlock the doors from the inside, and then unbolt (or whatever you wanna call it) and steal them.

The obvious question here is,"who hurt you?" And my answer to that is EVERYBODY. I've had so many experiences with theft/vandalism of my things that I've learned to accept my lot in life and am now trying to move forward by being proactive against it.
Rule #1: If you have a soft top, DON'T lock your doors. People will just cut your top to get in.

I think your list is a reasonable one if you don't want people to just walk up to your Jeep and snag stuff.

If you go soft-top, I think the McGard door locks are a good investment. $30 to protect doors that can cost hundreds, or up to thousands of dollars to replace? A no-brainer. (I didn't even know about these. I just ordered some for when I do a soft top and half-doors next year. Thanks for the idea!)

While I don't have a Bolt, a locking hitchpin is ALWAYS a good idea. I only leave a lock on the hitch when towing to keep the tumbler keyway as clean as possible. Road salt wreaks havoc with these. Besides preventing someone from hooking your trailer of toys up to his vehicle and driving off, there are idiots out there who will pull a hitch pin while you are parked just to watch you drop your trailer. Stupid AND dangerous...

I'm thinking about a trunk enclosure, but I've yet to find one that works for me.

The Bolt hood lock is excellent- OEM-level fit, finish, and operation. It uses YOUR Jeep key, and it can even be left unlocked if you want quick access to your engine compartment for some reason. Honestly, I don't know why these aren't standard equipment on Jeeps... I paid $106 on Amazon, plus $20 for a rivet tool at harbor freight that will handle 1/4 inch rivets. (I'll probably never use it again, so why spend $80 or more for a decent tool?) Installation was relatively easy, and took a little over an hour. Watch a few YouTube videos. This is a LOT cheaper than replacing a battery.

Definitely put a lock on your spare. They are WAY too easy to steal. McGard is the way to go, IMHO. I don't plan on too much serious trail riding, so I'm not worried about the ease of removal that could be an issue "out there". I put the McGards all the way around. Someone on here said to skip Mcgard, and go for advancedwheellocks.com, or the Mopar locks. I don't know about the "advanced", but McGard actually MAKES the Mopar (and most other OEM) wheel locks, so technically, he is recommending McGard as a second choice...

I have the Tuffy console safe. It cuts down on your storage a little bit, but it's worth it IMHO. The locking console lid and glove box are not secure at all. Don't lock those. Keep the McGard wheel key in the Tuffy- just remember to take it out of that for the mechanic if you leave your car for service somewhere!

Someone else suggested using stainless, button-head Allen bolts with Nylocks for external accessories. This is a good, simple technique. Most thieves won't carry Torx tools, unless they are targeting Jeeps. Those ones might not carry Allens around. It's all about making things just a little harder for would-be thieves.

As many have stated, NOTHING will stop a determined thief. It's about deterring MOST of the a-holes. This is about making your Jeep a more difficult target. Thieves will generally go for the easy score. When a group of gazelles is being chased by a lion, you don't have to be the fastest runner. Just don't be the slowest!

This forum is an EXCELLENT way to learn about Jeeping. Most advice on here is well-intentioned and decent. Keeping that in mind, not all mods are for all people. Look around, and you'll find that most Jeeps have been personalized to what their owner wants. You have set a priority which is important to YOU. Read through all of the advice, and decide what matters to you. It's all about how YOU plan on using your Jeep. Enjoy!

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
Vehicle (and anything attached to the vehicle) thefts and catalytic converter thefts are epidemic level in the Denver area. The police aren't allowed to pursue stolen vehicles at any speed unless it's an armed carjacking. It's ridiculous...

I have multiple levels of security, including a club dual hook and hood/interior alarms, locking gas cap, etc. I think maybe the push start and manual trans might help. Most of the vehicles I see recovered on nextdoor appears they use the same type of tool to rip out the ignition.

Some guy a few weeks ago parked his BMW in the garage, his daughter parked behind him in the driveway and when they were sleeping a tow truck came, drug her car into the street, broke into the garage and drug the BMW out, hooked it up and stole it. So yeah, if they want it they will get it. Also multiple reports of getting shot at if you try to stop them.
you're absolutely delusional... none of this has actually happened. Must get your news off 4chan and the like eh?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
easy enough to jack the vehicle up and put a roller under the booted wheel to roll/tow the vehicle away; i've seen it done.

Good list. My buddy has a boot, as in a wheel lock. Sometimes he uses it on his trailer, sometimes he uses it on his jeep. Nothing's going nowhere with a boot on a shoe, that's for sure.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
which gas cap did you use?

i got the Mopar keyed fuel cap for my Diesel (right after the wheel locks) and it's worked fine (so far).
and like others said; it's not so much about what someone might take out, but rather what they might put in. additionally, as i learned when my first J**p was stolen, it's also actually a deterrent to the casual thief that might want to steal it if they're planning on driving it away, as they won't be able to put fuel in it without also dealing with the locking cap.

but bottom line; if someone wants it bad enough, they're taking it. you're just trying to make yours not the easiest target.

@Jerpy : if you go this route, as you may know, there are two locking gas cap types: one that matches your vehicle key (more expensive) and one that has its own key.

I have both. I had to give up on the matching key one as it wasn't making a good seal and my emissions light was going on and opted for the non-matching key one, which works fine.

I hope you don't have the same problem but maybe this situation is common in the matching key cap.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Too bad Jeep thieves are not treated like horse thieves in the old west...Hanged from the nearest tree.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2 dr HellaYella Rubicon.
Did not read the whole thread but can someone point me in the direction of a anti theft brake device for a 2021 JL 2 door? Sort of like "the club" but for the brake.

Thanks!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
which gas cap did you use?

i got the Mopar keyed fuel cap for my Diesel (right after the wheel locks) and it's worked fine (so far).
and like others said; it's not so much about what someone might take out, but rather what they might put in. additionally, as i learned when my first J**p was stolen, it's also actually a deterrent to the casual thief that might want to steal it if they're planning on driving it away, as they won't be able to put fuel in it without also dealing with the locking cap.

but bottom line; if someone wants it bad enough, they're taking it. you're just trying to make yours not the easiest target.
The MOPAR key matched one for a gasoline fed 3.6L ICE engine.
Sponsored