OP
OP
Jerpy

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
@Jerpy : if you go this route, as you may know, there are two locking gas cap types: one that matches your vehicle key (more expensive) and one that has its own key.
Oddly enough, I will probably skip the locking gas cap since my Jeep has the kind that unlocks via button/lever on the control panel, but I do appreciate the info. Gas is easily replaceable.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Oddly enough, I will probably skip the locking gas cap since my Jeep has the kind that unlocks via button/lever on the control panel, but I do appreciate the info. Gas is easily replaceable.
@Jerpy: would you mind elaborating on the [gas cap?] you have that unlocks via button/lever on the control panel?

Also, and especially with siphon deterrents built in, it ain't what a thief can remove from the gas tank that worries me, it's want a nut case can put into it to screw the engine up.

No--know enemies I know of that would do this, but from your narrative above I trust you "get" the psycho who says "if I can't have this toy, I'm going to prevent the owner from having it too."

OP
OP
Jerpy

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
@Jerpy: would you mind elaborating on the [gas cap?] you have that unlocks via button/lever on the control panel?
The Wrangler 4xe's come stock with a locking gas cover that opens via a little switch on the dash. This is similar to how a lot of newer model vehicles restrict access to the gas tank.

Also, and especially with siphon deterrents built in, it ain't what a thief can remove from the gas tank that worries me, it's want a nut case can put into it to screw the engine up.
Ugh, thanks a lot. And here I was thinking I might be able to sleep at night. 🤦‍♂️

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
New Jeep owner here. Wanted to give a quick run down of the security-related accessories I'm planning on purchasing and get feedback and/or suggestions:
  • McGard Wheel Locks
  • McGard Door Locks
  • Bolt Hood Lock
  • Bolt Hitch Pin Lock
  • Diabolical Slipstream Trunk Enclosure
Do I have all the bases covered? Are there any additional security issues Jeep owners face that I may not be aware of? I should note that I got the Remote-Start and Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry packages on my Wrangler Rubicon.
You are wasting good money you could put toward other actual modifications that will make your Jeep Better. Where do you people live where you are worried about your Jeeps getting broken into?

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I hate wheel locks. I had my spare stolen on my old JKU one day so when I got a replacement I added wheel locks. One good hit on the trail and I couldn’t get the key to the lock on one of the wheels to fit. Fortunately I discovered this while replacing brakes and not while I was stuck on the side of the road. It took hours to get the dumb thing off. After that, I only left a lock on the spare. I’ll take my chances with the thieves over fighting with a wheel lock.
Also, I’ve never heard of anyone having full doors stolen, if I were running half doors I’d consider locks but I wouldn’t worry about full doors.

Sponsored

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Wow! That's a lot of worry about security.
I removed the dealer installed wheel locks, and threw them away. Just don't want to deal with that if I need to change a tire on the trail.
The entire time I have the soft top on, I don't even lock the doors.

DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
New Jeep owner here. Wanted to give a quick run down of the security-related accessories I'm planning on purchasing and get feedback and/or suggestions:
  • McGard Wheel Locks
  • McGard Door Locks
  • Bolt Hood Lock
  • Bolt Hitch Pin Lock
  • Diabolical Slipstream Trunk Enclosure
Do I have all the bases covered? Are there any additional security issues Jeep owners face that I may not be aware of? I should note that I got the Remote-Start and Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry packages on my Wrangler Rubicon.
Try advancedwheellocks.com, mcgard is too easily defeated. The second option would be actual Mopar locks in terms of security.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You are wasting good money you could put toward other actual modifications that will make your Jeep Better. Where do you people live where you are worried about your Jeeps getting broken into?
Anywhere, USA. As for the locking Gas Cap, it's not what can be taken out, but what can be put in.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Ha, I lived many years in NYC and now Los Angeles. Only time my Jeep was broken into was in Massachuchets

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
For the Jeep itself, a GPS that has its own power source would likely be the best option to quickly find one's rig.
I'm of two minds on this, basically part of me is not sure I'd want my stolen Jeep back.

But if you want something to work a bit like a vehicle tracker for low cost, you can throw a Tile (or any of their competitors) somewhere in the Jeep. They're bluetooth trackers that rely upon people having the Tile app installed on a nearby phone. Not as great as GPS, but can work well enough. I often leave one in my vehicle if I park at an airport where I may forget where it's at. Gets me close enough. Not going to work when they drive your Jeep to the middle of the desert but... do you really want it back at that point?

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The Wrangler 4xe's come stock with a locking gas cover that opens via a little switch on the dash.
I hope this can be easily retrofitted into non 4xe’s.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Ha, I lived many years in NYC and now Los Angeles. Only time my Jeep was broken into was in Massachuchets
Now that is some shit luck haha. I guess I wouldn't know if i have been broken into since I leave my vehicles unlocked. No sense in keeping anything of importance in their, for me anyway.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle (and anything attached to the vehicle) thefts and catalytic converter thefts are epidemic level in the Denver area. The police aren't allowed to pursue stolen vehicles at any speed unless it's an armed carjacking. It's ridiculous...

I have multiple levels of security, including a club dual hook and hood/interior alarms, locking gas cap, etc. I think maybe the push start and manual trans might help. Most of the vehicles I see recovered on nextdoor appears they use the same type of tool to rip out the ignition.

Some guy a few weeks ago parked his BMW in the garage, his daughter parked behind him in the driveway and when they were sleeping a tow truck came, drug her car into the street, broke into the garage and drug the BMW out, hooked it up and stole it. So yeah, if they want it they will get it. Also multiple reports of getting shot at if you try to stop them.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I read this and thought "wow this is all over kill" then saw you're from California, so I suppose not. The news tells me that your cats are going to get stolen if you park in California, so I think I'd add a an underbody skid plate. It'll be nice off road but also make you a more difficult target.
The JL's catalytic converters are bolted to the block under the fender liners and inaccessible from underneath. they'd have to be pretty creative with a sawzall to get them off.
Jeep Wrangler JL Security Related Accessories / Theft Prevention 1618887997996