Security Related Accessories / Theft Prevention

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
New Jeep owner here. Wanted to give a quick run down of the security-related accessories I'm planning on purchasing and get feedback and/or suggestions:
  • McGard Wheel Locks
  • McGard Door Locks
  • Bolt Hood Lock
  • Bolt Hitch Pin Lock
  • Diabolical Slipstream Trunk Enclosure
Do I have all the bases covered? Are there any additional security issues Jeep owners face that I may not be aware of? I should note that I got the Remote-Start and Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry packages on my Wrangler Rubicon.
All good options, but as others have said: if people want in, they will get in. Best option in my book is to leave all the valuables out of the Jeep and not lock the center console. If anyone breaks into the jeep to gain access, they won't think twice about snapping the plastic handles and locks off of anything that doesn't open right up.
Also, people don't even need to get INTO the Jeep to steal stuff. There's basically nothing stopping someone with a basic socket set from taking off a lot of mods you worked hard for in the middle of the night, like rock rails, bumpers, roof racks, etc.

I have a soft top sport, and it was easy pickings when I was in NYC. Someone peeled the back window open, climbed in, and it was game over. My biggest regret was locking the consoles, because they really tore up the interior and broke handles off of them...

I think the best thing you could put in is a kill switch.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
These devices are fine, but you want the one that goes around the brake pedal. The club above attaches to the steering wheel, which can easily be cut.
The last time I saw one of these was on my '85 Celica. I can't believe they're still around. If someone really wants to take your ride, all these are gonna do is slow 'em down.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.015 worth

For protection, most of the mods on my JLR have been installed with stainless steel (ss) button type allen bolts with nyloc ss bolts on the other side. It is doubtful that most thieves will have the correct tools to remove most of the mods on the Jeep. If they have the correct tools and they try to use an impact driver to quickly remove the SS nuts and bolts, it is likely the ss nuts will gall to the bolts and then he mods will not come off.

For the Jeep itself, a GPS that has its own power source would likely be the best option to quickly find one's rig.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The last time I saw one of these was on my '85 Celica. I can't believe they're still around. If someone really wants to take your ride, all these are gonna do is slow 'em down.
Sagely and true advise Marc. But the fact remains the the Club (TM) that wraps around the brake pedal is going to slow down a thief by orders of magnitude compared to the steering wheel lock.

Here's the thing: as you may know, steering wheels have to be made flimsy enough to reduce the potential for driver thoracic injury in an accident. Accordingly, sawing through one with a hack saw is child's play. And since "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link," the easiest way to defeat the steering wheel lock is to bypass it, cutting the steering wheel and removing the lock off the wheel without tampering with it.

With the brake pedal option you can't switch out of park without pressing a brake pedal that is locked in place by the lock. Brake pedals must, just as steering wheels are made flimsy, be made of hard enough metal to not bend when emergency pressure is applied to them. Similar metal hardness exists within the brake lock.

Now, that said, could vehicles with either locks be loaded on a flat bed, sure. The issue isn't whether or not a motivated enough thief can steal your ride, as the answer to that question is likely "yes." The issue is to make it hard enough that their cost/risk of doing so becomes too great.

Both locks I believe are still sold and rarely used anymore.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There are GPS tracking units that have a 5 year battery life, very popular for heavy equipment, trailers, easy to install..
The casual thief is the most common, the hood, wheel, gas cap locks will dissuade them. The hidden GPS tracker a good " bet"

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The OP @Jerpy referred to McGard Door Locks.

Can a thief easily steel a locked door without door hinge nuts (technically they're nuts, not bolts)?

If not, I'm confused. We're buying an around $35 device to protect a nut that is $1.99 at Quadratec to replace?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jerpy

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Can a thief easily steel a locked door without door hinge nuts (technically they're nuts, not bolts)?
I think my thought process on this is that I might want to soft top it in the summertime and would hate to have someone cut open the soft top, unlock the doors from the inside, and then unbolt (or whatever you wanna call it) and steal them.

The obvious question here is,"who hurt you?" And my answer to that is EVERYBODY. I've had so many experiences with theft/vandalism of my things that I've learned to accept my lot in life and am now trying to move forward by being proactive against it.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Doesn't the center console come stock with a lock on it? I know it's not as strong as the Tuffy, but I typically don't keep anything important in the center console except napkins, a bottle opener, and some change.

I was actually looking at the Ravelco Anti-Theft Device. People might think I'm taking this too far, but I seem to be a magnet for having my vehicles fucked with (especially in Los Angeles). 🙄
I know from experience that the center console and glove box can easily be pulled open by a teenager. We had this happen in my Jeep when my kids left the doors unlocked one night. We had door checkers come by in the night, open the doors and stole what they could (pocket knife, flashlight, first aid kit) nothing major but what a pain to fix.

I am looking at a rear box like the Squad Box (though hard to find information on it) that can act as a lockable storage area, and support camping (fridge under / deck for odds and ends) bit that another thread.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Locking gas cap, and don't forget to lock the spare (I use a cable lock).

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Locking gas cap, and don't forget to lock the spare (I use a cable lock).
@Jerpy : if you go this route, as you may know, there are two locking gas cap types: one that matches your vehicle key (more expensive) and one that has its own key.

I have both. I had to give up on the matching key one as it wasn't making a good seal and my emissions light was going on and opted for the non-matching key one, which works fine.

I hope you don't have the same problem but maybe this situation is common in the matching key cap.
Sponsored