Sponsored

Security Alarm Systems for non-power locking Jeeps

Should I get an alarm with power locks or just a simple alarm with (current) manual locks?

• Total voters

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Nah not worried about that.. All I want is doors and think that will be fine for me. I live in a condo and we do have security patrol but you know, it takes a junkie a few seconds to open door, grab and go.. If someone climbs over the door then so be it... Not really interested in false alarms from wind, rain ect,,

You can only do so much as alarms and locks are easily beaten. If someone wants to get it bad enough, they will...

I had a full alarm system on my TJ and that thing was constantly going off with false alarms when the top was off. Not interested in doing that again...
Well, they might not be interested in the radio if it appeared to have a broken display... Maybe get an appropriate sized glass screen protector for it, crack it, and place it on a removable plastic sheet so that it will look like you have a busted screen?

Or look to see what it takes to remove the radio on YouTube and do something to make it more difficult? Here's a video of what it takes to remove it:

So, it looks like there are 6 Phillips head screws to remove. It's possible you could replace them with some security screws in order to slow down the thief. Maybe even just Torx screws would slow them down since they might only carry a standard and Phillips head screwdriver with them.
Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, they might not be interested in the radio if it appeared to have a broken display... Maybe get an appropriate sized glass screen protector for it, crack it, and place it on a removable plastic sheet so that it will look like you have a busted screen?

Or look to see what it takes to remove the radio on YouTube and do something to make it more difficult? Here's a video of what it takes to remove it:

So, it looks like there are 6 Phillips head screws to remove. It's possible you could replace them with some security screws in order to slow down the thief. Maybe even just Torx screws would slow them down since they might only carry a standard and Phillips head screwdriver with them.
Yeah not worried about that either.. They'd need to first either disconnect the battery OR climb over the doors.. If they do all that and take the radio then so be it. My comp deductible is $100 and I'd peg the chances of one of those to happening as slim.

What I expect to happen, and what is common place, is they check for unlocked / open doors and then take what they can get. Maybe that even includes the radio if they think they can get it out fast enough...

My only concern is a door opening alarm. I think for $200 installed I'll just go that route and call it a day.

Great tips though and others may wish to follow them..

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah not worried about that either.. They'd need to first either disconnect the battery OR climb over the doors.. If they do all that and take the radio then so be it. My comp deductible is $100 and I'd peg the chances of one of those to happening as slim.
I tend to go with a $500 deductible on my cars since it seems to cut down the rate quite a bit. But it's been near 30 years since I had anything stolen from a vehicle that I owned. I was living in an apartment at the time and right after I bought the brand new vehicle, so punks stole all 4 wheels/tires. They didn't set off the vehicle's alarm since they never opened a door. $3K, IIRC and the cops wouldn't even bother to check for fingerprints. Just proof that cops are only useful for filling out the paperwork AFTER a crime has been committed and don't do anything to prevent it and if they happen to actually catch a criminal, it's probably an accident because he did something stupid like run a red light while driving away. :( You are responsible for your own security, so don't rely on anyone else.

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny that even the base model doesn't come with even a rudimentary door alarm since vehicles have had that for quite awhile. Especially considering some of the other useless stuff they put on there.
agreed!

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to go with a $500 deductible on my cars since it seems to cut down the rate quite a bit. But it's been near 30 years since I had anything stolen from a vehicle that I owned.
The main reason to go with a lessor comp deductible on the Jeep is windshield replacements.. They attract road debris like no other.. Plenty of people are already on windshield replacement # 1 and some are already on # 2 and # 3...

Replacing a windshield on the JL is about $500-$600... I'd rather pay the $100 deductible than $600 a pop for the windshield.. Lowering your deductible will prob only cost you a few $$ more a month...

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The main reason to go with a lessor comp deductible on the Jeep is windshield replacements.. They attract road debris like no other.. Plenty of people are already on windshield replacement # 1 and some are already on # 2 and # 3...

Replacing a windshield on the JL is about $500-$600... I'd rather pay the $100 deductible than $600 a pop for the windshield.. Lowering your deductible will prob only cost you a few $$ more a month...
I've noticed some people complaining about the windshields... That's kind of strange though... I had an XJ that seemed to like to attract rocks or whatever to its windshield and that resulted in a couple of window replacements and a few more rock chip fixes when I was able to catch it quick enough. On the other hand, my Ram 1500 pickup never even had so much as a rock chip that needed fixed even though it is a larger windshield. You would think that a larger target would be more likely to get hit, but for some reason, that was not the case. I don't know if there was a difference in the type of glass or if the angle made a difference or if the height combined with the length of the hood was the issue. I've had rock chips on vehicles where I could last weeks and it not spread before I could get around to getting the chip fixed. But I've had ones where I got a chip one day and it developed into a crack going across the entire driver's side on the next day.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Considering everything else that the car's computer is monitoring, it would be an easy task to add a few more lines of code in it to give a door open alarm using the existing horn.

They are currently monitoring other switches like the ESS disable switch. Monitoring the door switches would be very similar and would not require that much extra code to do it. It's possible that they are already even monitoring the door switches since they seem to have made so many things in the car tied into the car's computer instead of just having a simple electrical connection. Too many of the things in the vehicle already are tied to the vehicle's computer when they don't *need* to be. But, that allows them to advertise these little gee-whiz features that all the youngsters think are desirable while they texting while driving instead of just LOOKING AT THE DAMN ROAD.

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
There’s a guy on Ebay selling his cheap car theft device. Nasty stained worn out underwear. Stretch it across the steering wheel. :cwl:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And what talk of car theft devices would be complete without this example:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And what talk of car theft devices would be complete without this example:

I actually have a club type device somewhere that was electrified. Pretty little purple lightning danced all around when you would push a button on the remote, or when a motion sensor went off. I don’t think the shock was that much, but it was as effective as any club device, and the sparking made people think. Probably not made anymore. Haven’t seen one in a few years.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have a club type device somewhere that was electrified. Pretty little purple lightning danced all around when you would push a button on the remote, or when a motion sensor went off. I don’t think the shock was that much, but it was as effective as any club device, and the sparking made people think. Probably not made anymore. Haven’t seen one in a few years.
You could wire up something with one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3V-6V-t...128193?hash=item2cbf9a6701:g:CXEAAOSwAPVZIR2o

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just found them online, so I guess they still make them. Called the Auto Taser. They’ve gotten expensive though....about 250. Basically an electrified club, with motion sensors, alarm, shocking power, and the dancing sparks.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Empty holster and an empty box of rounds on the sear is usually a decent deterrent.

Personally id like a proximity sensor for when the top and doors are off. Have on my tj and its great
Sponsored