Sponsored

Security Alarm Systems for non-power locking Jeeps

Should I get an alarm with power locks or just a simple alarm with (current) manual locks?

• Total voters
OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It might deter some... For others, they don't seem to care since they might not even be trying to steal anything, just do damage...

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/thieves-break-into-35-cars-at-one-apartment-complex
https://www.click2houston.com/news/fort-bend-police-believe-32-car-break-ins-related

Depends upon where you live... If you park your car on the street, theft or vandalism is probably more likely. If you park it in your garage, it's probably a lot less unlikely. If you park on your driveway near your garage, located to the rear of your house, it's pretty unlikely also. Especially if you have a dog that will bark if anyone walks up the driveway. It's going to depend upon your particular situation and what you are willing to do to minimize the chances of it happening.

Pit bull for alerts + 10mm for criminal's "adjustment".
Hahah yeah! I park in my driveway and my dad has this huge light that illuminates the entire front yard..I think I should be okay lol. And our street has a roaming pack of annoying chihuahuas that won't shut up at any time, let alone if anything moves...I guess now I will appreciate them keeping up a racket! :giggle::giggle:
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Hahah yeah! I park in my driveway and my dad has this huge light that illuminates the entire front yard..I think I should be okay lol. And our street has a roaming pack of annoying chihuahuas that won't shut up at any time, let alone if anything moves...I guess now I will appreciate them keeping up a racket! :giggle::giggle:
Dogs that always bark are like alarms that always go off -- people ignore them.

And Chihuahuas are not dogs... They're rats that bark... :)

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Dogs that always bark are like alarms that always go off -- people ignore them.

And Chihuahuas are not dogs... They're rats that bark... :)
:cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's a few things that you should consider if you are looking to purchase or design your own security system. Here's some notes that I've made on it. They're not complete, just some ramblings that I made for notes in case I ever decide to do it...

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/jeep-wrangler-jl-security-system
On your list, I'd mainly be interested in the door opening type.. Open door, alarm goes off if it's not been deactivated before hand.

This solution would really be all I'd need or want... Not sure if it's possible. I am going to hit a few car alarm places this weekend to investigate..

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On your list, I'd mainly be interested in the door opening type.. Open door, alarm goes off if it's not been deactivated before hand.

This solution would really be all I'd need or want... Not sure if it's possible. I am going to hit a few car alarm places this weekend to investigate..
What does your vehicle have with respect to switches in the doors that are normally used to control the lights? I don't have a JL yet, so I can't just go outside and look for myself. :)

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
What does your vehicle have with respect to switches in the doors that are normally used to control the lights? I don't have a JL yet, so I can't just go outside and look for myself. :)
There is nothing that I can see switch wise that's obvious at least. Opening any of the 4 doors does trigger the interior dome light on the sound bar so it has to have a switch or sensor somewhere..

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing that I can see switch wise that's obvious at least. Opening any of the 4 doors does trigger the interior dome light on the sound bar so it has to have a switch or sensor somewhere..
There's a couple of ways that they could do it. They might be using a similar tech to how the home alarms that have built-in switches in the doors and windows. It's basically a magnetic switch with some wires to it. If it approaches a magnet, then the switch closes or opens (depends upon whether it is a normally-open or normally-closed type of switch).

Which model JL do you have? Do you have wires that go from the car to the door near the bottom hinge? If you unplug those wires, does it stop the car from recognizing that the door has been opened? If so, then there's a good chance that the switch is located in the doors themselves.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's a couple of ways that they could do it. They might be using a similar tech to how the home alarms that have built-in switches in the doors and windows. It's basically a magnetic switch with some wires to it. If it approaches a magnet, then the switch closes or opens (depends upon whether it is a normally-open or normally-closed type of switch).

Which model JL do you have? Do you have wires that go from the car to the door near the bottom hinge? If you unplug those wires, does it stop the car from recognizing that the door has been opened? If so, then there's a good chance that the switch is located in the doors themselves.
I have the base Sport Unlimited stripper.. Manual locks, manual windows ect... I'll look later for the wires but I honestly don't recall seeing any.

As an alternate, I wonder if wiring an alarm horn to the dome light would do the trick. If the dome light comes on when the alarm is active then that means a door has opened. If I turn the dome light on manually after the alarm has been deactivated, then nadda. The only issue I see there, is the 30 or so second delay the dome light has before turning off. In that case you'd have to wait to arm it until the dome light turned off....

Not sure.. Not a big electrical type person..

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The type of switch I'm talking about is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-10pcs-...71:m:mncil00KSaxHqTKtP0Cq2eA&var=420216220673

honeywell-951wg-wh-3-slash-8-diameter-miniature-recessed-contact.jpg

They are visible as just a small circle when installed in a home's window or door. If the JL's doors are aluminum, they might even be hidden behind it.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the base Sport Unlimited stripper.. Manual locks, manual windows ect... I'll look later for the wires but I honestly don't recall seeing any.

As an alternate, I wonder if wiring an alarm horn to the dome light would do the trick. If the dome light comes on when the alarm is active then that means a door has opened. If I turn the dome light on manually after the alarm has been deactivated, then nadda. The only issue I see there, is the 30 or so second delay the dome light has before turning off. In that case you'd have to wait to arm it until the dome light turned off....

Not sure.. Not a big electrical type person..
Just remember, the battery can be easily disconnected since the hood is not locked. It doesn't do you any good to put a vault door on a room that has sheetrock walls. :)

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember, the battery can be easily disconnected since the hood is not locked. It doesn't do you any good to put a vault door on a room that has sheetrock walls. :)
Most of the crack heads and junkies looking to rip your stereo out don't think that far in advance. They mainly walk around trying car doors and if it's locked they move on to the next. If it's unlocked they rummage and take what they can.... With the top off it's an easy target. With a door alarm, at least when junkie opens the door, he/she will be greeted with a nice alarm sound that will send them scurrying away..

I called Car Toys just now and they said they could install a system for $199... He said since the dome light comes on when the doors are opened they'd just find the sensors, even if inside the door, and tap into them..

Door alarms are all I really need or want so for $200, I think I might just go that route and call it a day... I am going to go there tomorrow and have them eyeball the Jeep just to make sure..

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the crack heads and junkies looking to rip your stereo out don't think that far in advance. They mainly walk around trying car doors and if it's locked they move on to the next. If it's unlocked they rumage and take what they can.... With the top off it's an easy target. At least when junking open the door he/she will be greeted with a nice alarm sound that will send them scurrying away..

I called Car Toys just now and they said they could install a system for $199... He said since the dome light comes on when the doors are opened they just find the sensors, even if inside the door, and tap into them..

Door alarms are all I really need or want so for $200, I think I might just go that route and call it a day... I am going to go there tomorrow and have then eyeball the Jeep just to make sure..
It's funny that even the base model doesn't come with even a rudimentary door alarm since vehicles have had that for quite awhile. Especially considering some of the other useless stuff they put on there.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the crack heads and junkies looking to rip your stereo out don't think that far in advance. They mainly walk around trying car doors and if it's locked they move on to the next. If it's unlocked they rummage and take what they can.... With the top off it's an easy target. With a door alarm, at least when junkie opens the door, he/she will be greeted with a nice alarm sound that will send them scurrying away..
If you are going to be leaving your top off, you might want to consider an alarm that also senses motion inside of the vehicle since it would be possible for someone to enter the vehicle and not open the door.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to be leaving your top off, you might want to consider an alarm that also senses motion inside of the vehicle since it would be possible for someone to enter the vehicle and not open the door.
Nah not worried about that.. All I want is doors and think that will be fine for me. I live in a condo and we do have security patrol but you know, it takes a junkie a few seconds to open door, grab and go.. If someone climbs over the door then so be it... Not really interested in false alarms from wind, rain ect,,

You can only do so much as alarms and locks are easily beaten. If someone wants to get it bad enough, they will...

I had a full alarm system on my TJ and that thing was constantly going off with false alarms when the top was off. Not interested in doing that again...
Sponsored