Sponsored

Security Alarm Systems for non-power locking Jeeps

Should I get an alarm with power locks or just a simple alarm with (current) manual locks?

• Total voters

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So....I was extremely excited about buying my Jeep that I kinda forgot what city I live in...and forgot to be concerned about not having a security system! I realized that Jeeps with non-power locks have this particular security feature:

"The Sentry Key Immobilizer system prevents unauthorized vehicle operation by disabling the engine. The system does not need to be armed or activated. Operation is automatic, regardless of whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked. The system uses a key fob, keyless push button ignition and a RF receiver to prevent unauthorized vehicle operation. Therefore, only key fobs that are programmed to the vehicle can be used to start and operate the vehicle. The system cannot reprogram a key fob obtained from another vehicle. After turning the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position, the vehicle security light will turn on for three seconds for a bulb check. If the light remains on after the bulb check, it indicates that there is a problem with the electronics. In addition, if the light begins to flash after the bulb check, it indicates that someone attempted to start the engine with an invalid key fob. In the event that a valid key fob is used to start the engine but there is an issue with the vehicle electronics, the engine will start and shut off after two seconds.
CAUTION! The Sentry Key Immobilizer system is not compatible with some aftermarket remote starting systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection"

But my concern is that my Jeep is Mojito! and it's gonna be gorgeoussss and it seems like it doesn't take much for someone to get in there especially without an alarm blaring. I was talking to an aftermarket rep at the dealer where I purchased my Jeep and I was quoted $499 (labor included) for AudioVox Alarm (Factory Keyless Entry)...but at first she said it was for power locks...then she said it wasn't.

So, I'm trying to get another opinion on an alarm that doesn't require me getting power locks and that will be compatible with this Jeep's "Sentry Key Immobilizer System"; was hoping someone already has one installed without it conflicting with the security feature of the Sentry Key.

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pit bull... She barks... I shoot... Problem solved...

And I also have a couple of spare 55g barrels and a bag of lime to properly dispose of the mess so that it doesn't stink up the place... It's just not neighborly to leave messes that everyone can see and smell, ya' know...

Now, if they want your car, they will pull up with a wrecker and tow it away with the alarm blaring. For the casual Gen-Slacker thieves these days, all you really seem to need is a *manual transmission*... LMAO...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pit bull... She barks... I shoot... Problem solved...

And I also have a couple of spare 55g barrels and a bag of lime to properly dispose of the mess so that it doesn't stink up the place... It's just not neighborly to leave messes that everyone can see and smell, ya' know...

Now, if they want your car, they will pull up with a wrecker and tow it away with the alarm blaring. For the casual Gen-Slacker thieves these days, all you really seem to need is a *manual transmission*... LMAO...

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! :cwl::cwl::cwl:
was NOT expecting that type of comment lollll but I get your meaning lol!

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! :cwl::cwl::cwl:
was NOT expecting that type of comment lollll but I get your meaning lol!
Lime really cuts down on the decomp smell... It basically seems to absorbs moisture and have a high pH, so the bacteria cannot grow as readily. This also kills off the larvae of the flies (maggots). When you can't readily dispose of the dead body because it has become too liquified (i.e. to the point where you need a shovel to pick up scoops of it), spreading lime over the body significantly cuts down on the smell and kills the maggots.

Some people have claimed over the years that lime speeds up the decomposition process, but studies have shown that it actually seems to slow it down and preserve the body. Be that as it may, it definitely cuts down on the smell and quickly kills all the maggots.

Grew up on a ranch, so I've had to deal with decomp a few times...

Last edited:

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I voted keep manual locks.. I purchased mine that way for a reason.. Less electronics the better. Also have manual windows!

I will be adding something to mine as I live in a condo and want some type of protection for it when I have the top off during the summer. I do have covered parking but it's exterior (no garage)..

I might run by a few alarm shops this weekend and see what I can find..

Last edited:

lwebs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
carbucks.ca
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, JLU Safari
Occupation
Retired
Hello Tai,

Did you go for the upgraded radio?

If so it provides “Theft Alarm Alert” and “Stolen Vehicle Assistance”.

More details at the link below.

https://www.driveuconnect.com/sirius-xm-guardian.html

So....I was extremely excited about buying my Jeep that I kinda forgot what city I live in...and forgot to be concerned about not having a security system! I realized that Jeeps with non-power locks have this particular security feature:

"The Sentry Key Immobilizer system prevents unauthorized vehicle operation by disabling the engine. The system does not need to be armed or activated. Operation is automatic, regardless of whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked. The system uses a key fob, keyless push button ignition and a RF receiver to prevent unauthorized vehicle operation. Therefore, only key fobs that are programmed to the vehicle can be used to start and operate the vehicle. The system cannot reprogram a key fob obtained from another vehicle. After turning the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position, the vehicle security light will turn on for three seconds for a bulb check. If the light remains on after the bulb check, it indicates that there is a problem with the electronics. In addition, if the light begins to flash after the bulb check, it indicates that someone attempted to start the engine with an invalid key fob. In the event that a valid key fob is used to start the engine but there is an issue with the vehicle electronics, the engine will start and shut off after two seconds.
CAUTION! The Sentry Key Immobilizer system is not compatible with some aftermarket remote starting systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection"

But my concern is that my Jeep is Mojito! and it's gonna be gorgeoussss and it seems like it doesn't take much for someone to get in there especially without an alarm blaring. I was talking to an aftermarket rep at the dealer where I purchased my Jeep and I was quoted $499 (labor included) for AudioVox Alarm (Factory Keyless Entry)...but at first she said it was for power locks...then she said it wasn't.

So, I'm trying to get another opinion on an alarm that doesn't require me getting power locks and that will be compatible with this Jeep's "Sentry Key Immobilizer System"; was hoping someone already has one installed without it conflicting with the security feature of the Sentry Key.

Any help is appreciated!

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I've had an Alpine 8620 (IIRC) alram with proximity sensor in my TJ (manual locks and softop) for 20 years and it still works like a champ. With the way thieves are steeling unlock codes these days it seems to me that manual lock are a better option even though they are a bit of a PITA on the JL trying to unlock the back doors. If I get an alarm for my JL it will be basic and have an adjustable proximity sensor.

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I voted keep manual locks.. I purchased mine that way for a reason.. Less electronics the better. Also have manual windows!

I will be adding something to mine as I live in a condo and want some type of protection for it when I have the top off during the summer. I do have covered parking but it's exterior (no garage)..

I might run by a few alarm shops this weekend and see what I can find..
I feel you on this! I was happy that mine were manual as well...at this point, I'm just concerned that any alarm might mess with this sentry key feature as the manual warns about that (with regards to remote start systems). Like at this point, how would we even know??? I mean I'm not looking for anything that has a remote start, so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned. I just would like smtg a bit simple that wont conflict with this sentry key feature. Maybe I'm worrying too much...but I have a feeling my Jeep may be arriving next week and now I feel unprepared! :(

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Okay after much thought and discussion with my dealer, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be getting an alarm system installed! I'm going old school security yallll...check it!: https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/anti-theft-devices/the-club/91083_1074766_1043581/YnJhbmQ6VEhFIENMVUIie?cat_id=91083_1074766_1043581&facet=brand:THE+CLUB#searchProductResult

Oo they got laser encrypted keys too!

Yeeeeee! :cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

So when I asked my dealer about alarms and stuff, this is what he told me: "If you're just looking for a blinking light you can buy one that sits on the dash as a deterrent. The car has a Sentry Key, so unless they're a professional car thief, they're not stealing the car...and if they are a professional, no alarm could stop them."

So I was like...well..lemme bring back that 1980s car security! We doing the CLUB! Now, if only I could find a green one? :idea:

What do yall think? lol

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Okay after much thought and discussion with my dealer, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be getting an alarm system installed! I'm going old school security yallll...check it!: https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/anti-theft-devices/the-club/91083_1074766_1043581/YnJhbmQ6VEhFIENMVUIie?cat_id=91083_1074766_1043581&facet=brand:THE+CLUB#searchProductResult

Yeeeeee! :cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

So when I asked my dealer about alarms and stuff, this is what he told me: "If you're just looking for a blinking light you can buy one that sits on the dash as a deterrent. The car has a Sentry Key, so unless they're a professional car thief, they're not stealing the car...and if they are a professional, no alarm could stop them."

So I was like...well..lemme bring back that 1980s car security! We doing the CLUB! Now, if only I could find a green one? :idea:

What do yall think? lol
What is your major concern?
  1. That they will be able to start your car and drive it away?
    You can install additional switches that will decrease this possibility. An aftermarket alarm could be tied into it also.
  2. That they will be able to tow it away?
    Not much you can do to *prevent* that, but you can install some motion or sound sensors that might cause enough of a racket to deter them.
One thing that you need to consider is that the Wranglers traditionally do not have a locking hood, so there's not much to stop them from opening the hood and disconnecting the battery. Yeah, that same battery that powers your alarm. If you are going to add an alarm system, you need to tie it in with hood sensors so that if it is armed, it will go off if anyone opens the hood. There's also some keyed hood locks available for the JL, IIRC.

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
What is your major concern?
  1. That they will be able to start your car and drive it away?
    You can install additional switches that will decrease this possibility. An aftermarket alarm could be tied into it also.
  2. That they will be able to tow it away?
    Not much you can do to *prevent* that, but you can install some motion or sound sensors that might cause enough of a racket to deter them.
One thing that you need to consider is that the Wranglers traditionally do not have a locking hood, so there's not much to stop them from opening the hood and disconnecting the battery. Yeah, that same battery that powers your alarm. If you are going to add an alarm system, you need to tie it in with hood sensors so that if it is armed, it will go off if anyone opens the hood. There's also some keyed hood locks available for the JL, IIRC.
I essentially want a deterrent. If someone skilled enough REALLY wants to steal it, it will happen, sentry key or not. But I'd like to deter your average thief from busting my windows out in hopes that they think they can steal the Jeep, just to find out that they can't. Essentially, I'm trying to avoid future hassles.

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I essentially want a deterrent. If someone skilled enough REALLY wants to steal it, it will happen, sentry key or not. But I'd like to deter your average thief from busting my windows out in hopes that they think they can still the Jeep, just to find out that they can't. Essentially, I'm trying to avoid future hassles.
It might deter some... For others, they don't seem to care since they might not even be trying to steal anything, just do damage...

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/thieves-break-into-35-cars-at-one-apartment-complex
https://www.click2houston.com/news/fort-bend-police-believe-32-car-break-ins-related

Depends upon where you live... If you park your car on the street, theft or vandalism is probably more likely. If you park it in your garage, it's probably a lot less unlikely. If you park on your driveway near your garage, located to the rear of your house, it's pretty unlikely also. Especially if you have a dog that will bark if anyone walks up the driveway. It's going to depend upon your particular situation and what you are willing to do to minimize the chances of it happening.

Pit bull for alerts + 10mm for criminal's "adjustment".
Sponsored