Sponsored

Sector shaft brace with the upgraded steel steering box?

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
I know quite a few on here have used a sector shaft brace with the flexi aluminum steering box but is it necessary with the new upgraded factory steel box?
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I know quite a few on here have used a sector shaft brace with the flexi aluminum steering box but is it necessary with the new upgraded factory steel box?
Following as I wouldn’t mind adding the Steer Smarts one to the rest of their set up I have (just hesitant since I may have to modify the inner fender).

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Feedback I've read on this is that the Synergy brace improves handling regardless of which steering box is installed. I've had my steel box replaced and installed with the latest revision and plan to install the Synergy brace (sitting on my table) sooner rather than later.

If/when I get around to that, I'll try to remember to post my experience.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It will still help, it’s not reinforcing the steering box , more reinforcing how it’s mounted. And the sector shaft is still vulnerable with either box. Also the track bar still benefits.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have the new style cast iron steering box and seems to have resolved my Jeep wandering. This didn't happen all in one day or event. First thing was the new box, then I found the intermediate (input) shaft coupling loose since the mechanic didn't tighten it completely. Steering improved and much better than before. However, just this past week I decided to check the ball joint castle nut torque. None of them were even close to correct. Tightened them along with all steering linkages. That made as much of a difference as the new steering box.

I really don't see the need for that aftermarket sector shaft brace. No doubt it could increase the stability, but I feel very comfortable with mine without it.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up giving a never used synergy brace to another member, after having the new box installed. In my humble opinion, it's the track bar frame reinforcement that is more important. It stiffens the same section of the frame that is shared by the box, and it also strengthens the drop down track bar bracket, which acts like a leverage arm to the frame when corralling the front axle. If hell bent on a brace, I'd put my money in the SteerSmarts version. Personally, I'm waiting on the time to install the version of the SteerSmarts track bar reinforcement without the brace.

An interesting video...

Ozionjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I have the new style cast iron steering box and seems to have resolved my Jeep wandering. This didn't happen all in one day or event. First thing was the new box, then I found the intermediate (input) shaft coupling loose since the mechanic didn't tighten it completely. Steering improved and much better than before. However, just this past week I decided to check the ball joint castle nut torque. None of them were even close to correct. Tightened them along with all steering linkages. That made as much of a difference as the new steering box.

I really don't see the need for that aftermarket sector shaft brace. No doubt it could increase the stability, but I feel very comfortable with mine without it.
I Had the new box installed on my jl and didn’t notice a difference. Could you share a little more on the shaft coupling that was loose? Where can I find that to check if it’s loose in mine?

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's visible through the right wheel well just on the inside of the wheel well liner. See the attached picture. That bolt in the picture
20210823_011816.jpg
tightens the coupling onto the steering box input shaft.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ozionjon

I'll add that I had checked all of the bolts involved with the steering box. Box to frame, coupling, pitman arm, etc...

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I Had the new box installed on my jl and didn’t notice a difference. Could you share a little more on the shaft coupling that was loose? Where can I find that to check if it’s loose in mine?
It's visible through the right wheel well just on the inside of the wheel well liner. See the attached picture. That bolt in the picture
Jeep Wrangler JL Sector shaft brace with the upgraded steel steering box? 20210823_011816
tightens the coupling onto the steering box input shaft.
You can also do from above with some extensions

Jeep Wrangler JL Sector shaft brace with the upgraded steel steering box? 0214E01A-9257-4FA7-B6A9-6354FECFAAE1
Jeep Wrangler JL Sector shaft brace with the upgraded steel steering box? C1A0A4F1-123F-4C53-BD26-CC404390415F

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I ended up giving a never used synergy brace to another member, after having the new box installed. In my humble opinion, it's the track bar frame reinforcement that is more important. It stiffens the same section of the frame that is shared by the box, and it also strengthens the drop down track bar bracket, which acts like a leverage arm to the frame when corralling the front axle. If hell bent on a brace, I'd put my money in the SteerSmarts version. Personally, I'm waiting on the time to install the version of the SteerSmarts track bar reinforcement without the brace.

An interesting video...

So you are giving away new parts just because YouTube tells you something else is better before you even install and try it?

Ozionjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I was able to get to it via the wheel well.
Disnt feel loose at all.. I was hoping it would be and it would tighten up the slop in my wheel.
I did notice a gap where the pitman arm meets the steering box. Is that normal?
Jeep Wrangler JL Sector shaft brace with the upgraded steel steering box? B0B3E543-BF26-4B4A-893F-3C23AB890B64
Sponsored