Sponsored

Secondary Battery Issue - or Fuses? [Resolved]

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
[Just changing the title of this as it's not the same issue as other threads where main battery voltage drops]

I'm just curious if this is something that happens on occasion to Wranglers?

Bombing down a FSR today - bouncing around like always, having a great time...

There's a loud beep from the speakers - some sort of system tone and I notice:

The dash lights up like a Xmas tree LOL

Cruise control - Needs Service
Adaptive Cruise Control - Needs Service
Electronic Traction Control - Needs Service
Forward Collision Warning - Needs Service
Start On/Off Not Working

There's probably something else I'm forgetting...

The dealer's taking it in Monday first thing to check out the secondary battery - just wondering if anyone else has seen this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I haven't had it happen, but have seen it on a number of threads. Usually when the secondary battery goes it causes trouble with the main battery. Eventually you might get a warning that says pull over your jeep will shut off soon, then it will die. I'm glad your getting it in soon. Good luck!!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Oh yeah. This kinda thing was happening to the review models back before the JL hit lots. However, while tedious, the battery is relatively easy to replace and a faulty or dying one is certainly indicative of the issues you're having. It could also be a problem with fuses, but regardless, that's what your warranty is for.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My ESS doesn't work. I guessed that a battery problem might be the most likely problem. Everything else works perfectly. According to this thread maybe my battery isn't the problem.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some photos of what things look like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Secondary Battery Issue - or Fuses? [Resolved] IMG_8850

Jeep Wrangler JL Secondary Battery Issue - or Fuses? [Resolved] IMG_8849

Jeep Wrangler JL Secondary Battery Issue - or Fuses? [Resolved] IMG_8846

Jeep Wrangler JL Secondary Battery Issue - or Fuses? [Resolved] IMG_8847

Jeep Wrangler JL Secondary Battery Issue - or Fuses? [Resolved] IMG_8848

And some of the service lights in the dash too etc...

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yeah, I bet either the secondary battery is bad or there's a problem somewhere in the fuse box. The fuses in the box might actually be okay, too, but the block that's attached to the right of it might be bad. All easy fixes. Good luck!

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I bet either the secondary battery is bad or there's a problem somewhere in the fuse box. The fuses in the box might actually be okay, too, but the block that's attached to the right of it might be bad. All easy fixes. Good luck!
Thanks!

I've looked at many of the previous posts that are similar - but I have not had that message that the Jeep is going to shut off... This happened when I was 30km outside of cell reception - and 110km from home - so, thankfully my issue seems a little different than most... Do have my HAM radio and others do travel those roads throughout the day... but still... gets the heart racing!

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to put an update in here.

I took the Jeep in this morning to the Service Centre.

Now - something I did not mention in this thread - because I did not think it would be relevant (I'm new to this stuff lol) - is that:

Late last week I had a new suspension put in. Then, I was told to drive it over the weekend, and it's schedule for an alignment in a few days from now. The alignment was definitely off - but - otherwise all was good.

So - the service dept says that becasue the alignment is off (to be fair, it's not off just a little, to drive straight I'm probably at 1:15 on the steering wheel) - it triggered the warnings for the Stability Control, Cruise control etc etc which then just took some of the other systems offline.

They reset all the warnings - and everything is back to working normal again with no warning lights.

I'll update again after the alignment - and hopefully this is the end.

So - was (hopefully) nothing to do with a battery, or fuses - and in fact everything was working perfect I guess which is why the warnings came up after detecting the bad alignment.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just wanted to put an update in here.

I took the Jeep in this morning to the Service Centre.

Now - something I did not mention in this thread - because I did not think it would be relevant (I'm new to this stuff lol) - is that:

Late last week I had a new suspension put in. Then, I was told to drive it over the weekend, and it's schedule for an alignment in a few days from now. The alignment was definitely off - but - otherwise all was good.

So - the service dept says that becasue the alignment is off (to be fair, it's not off just a little, to drive straight I'm probably at 1:15 on the steering wheel) - it triggered the warnings for the Stability Control, Cruise control etc etc which then just took some of the other systems offline.

They reset all the warnings - and everything is back to working normal again with no warning lights.

I'll update again after the alignment - and hopefully this is the end.

So - was (hopefully) nothing to do with a battery, or fuses - and in fact everything was working perfect I guess which is why the warnings came up after detecting the bad alignment.
Yeah the Jeep gets pissy if the steering wheel isn’t centered. I’m surprised they didn’t do a rough adjustment when they installed the suspension.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, known issue. Was this a dealership that let you drive away like that?
No - this was the shop that installed the suspension.

To be fair, they said they would get it as aligned as they could at their shop - then i should drive it 500km over the weekend (which I had already planned to) and then bring it back in for re-torquing and alignment on Wednesday.

I've called them and they are taking it in tomorrow morning to get all that done (instead of 2 days from now).

OH AND - i might have misunderstood your message. The dealership this morning did give me the option of them just doing an alignment today (at my cost) or they can reset the warnings and it all will work again as normal until I get my alignment done - which is what I opted for.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No - this was the shop that installed the suspension.

To be fair, they said they would get it as aligned as they could at their shop - then i should drive it 500km over the weekend (which I had already planned to) and then bring it back in for re-torquing and alignment on Wednesday.

I've called them and they are taking it in tomorrow morning to get all that done (instead of 2 days from now).

OH AND - i might have misunderstood your message. The dealership this morning did give me the option of them just doing an alignment today (at my cost) or they can reset the warnings and it all will work again as normal until I get my alignment done - which is what I opted for.
Centering the steering wheel is a very basic operation. I’d be leery of letting that shop do anything for you in the future.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final update - so once the alignment was done - the Jeep needed 3 start/stop cycles with the ignition, and then all of the warming lights turned off and everything is back to normal.

This was what the dealership told me had to happen (and I was leery) but, 3 cycles and boom, back in business. Thanks all who jumped in to help out and offer opinions etc!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So the Jeep needing an alignment sent all the electronics haywire...?

Typical Fiat electricals...
Sponsored