Sponsored

Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler?

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR (aka Juno) - Hydro Blue
I live in Montreal, Canada and work at the airport.

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?
Why would you get rid of your Jeep when the problem is clearly where it's parked? Seems like you would be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Personally, I would be speaking with my employer about whether there have been other incidents and if so, providing more carpark security. Being that it's an employee carpark it should be secure, and if turns out that there have been no other incidents it's a pretty good indication that you are being targeted, which should be reported and monitored to find the culprit/s.

Just my $0.02 ✌
Sponsored

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
Buy a couple of replica, but very realistic looking rattlesnakes. Put one on the dashboard and another on the drivers seat. Put an empty reptile cage on the front floorboard with the cage door open. It worked 50 years ago after a former Nissan Patrol owner had his vehicle stolen in Phoenix.

Fatalis12B

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 6sp MT JLUR
Occupation
Retired
The point of an anti-theft device isn’t really to make impossible to steal a car. It’s to make it just a little bit harder, risky, and time consuming to steal that particular car. For most thieves, that’s enough to move on to another car. This is why something as simple as having a manual works most of the time. A thief can’t even be bothered to Google how to drive a stick.
Jeep Wrangler JL Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler? IMG_1020.JPG

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

If that was available here, some idiot would try it out at a gas station.
Lol, I wouldn’t put it past people these days that’s for sure

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Stop tempting the thieves. Buy a POS car to park at work. Especially since there is a history of break-ins, and thefts at the employee parking lot.
You can put all the crazy anti-theft devices you want, on your Jeep, but you will still have a damaged Jeep left behind.

Sponsored

NukaCola

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Turbocharged 2.0
Occupation
Mechanic Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah no, they're steal a vehicle regardless of the type. You need a better area, changing vehicles isn't going to do anything at all. Airport car parks are ALWAYS targeted because most of the time people know they wont be back for their vehicles for a while.
~Proximity door locks
~Anti theft cameras

~Uconnect
can all be used to deter theft.
Dont just change vehicles because they're still going to steal regardless.

I live in Montreal, Canada and work at the airport.

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Stop tempting the thieves. Buy a POS car to park at work. Especially since there is a history of break-ins, and thefts at the employee parking lot.
You can put all the crazy anti-theft devices you want, on your Jeep, but you will still have a damaged Jeep left behind.
Yea, should have worn a longer dress.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a couple of replica, but very realistic looking rattlesnakes. Put one on the dashboard and another on the drivers seat. Put an empty reptile cage on the front floorboard with the cage door open. It worked 50 years ago after a former Nissan Patrol owner had his vehicle stolen in Phoenix.
that is an awesome idea!!! But if the thief is even slightly intelligent he may be suspect of a reptile surviving in a car in Canada, given the temps. Still funny to think about though.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you are worried about your car being stolen - and you have a good air compressor - Just let all of the air out of your tires and put a fake nasty note on your windshield that reads something like, "Go to hell you cheating bastard!" Then the thieves won't bother with your car because they will think your ex already got to it and slashed your tires! :CWL:
Don't forget to take your compressor into the hotel room 🤪

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
People need to learn to work towards root cause analysis.
Most people can hardly understand cause and effect as indicated by them not understanding why they're broke and can hardly afford milk for the half dozen replications of themselves they created. But yeah, if they understood root cause analysis, things bigger than jeeps being stolen would be solved.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think OP lives in the Great White North...Canada. OP might be better with a fake Polor Bear. Those fake snakes would freeze and turn brittle from the freezing temps. 🤪

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Liberal mayors and soft on crime policies are the root cause.
If you look at the top states for auto theft, they don’t really follow a political pattern. Oddly, NY has very low auto theft rates compared to many states. Oklahoma and Utah have much higher rates. I think there are a lot of factors at play here.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Almost every pilot I know either buys a pos to drive and leave at airport or has someone drop them off for that exact reason.
Yep, nobody will mess with a POS. I park my 2002 Civic at trailheads in the mountains and it is always unmolested when I get back days later.
Sponsored