Sponsored

Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know what they would be going after/trying to get at behind the glovebox?
6F668675-725C-483A-9855-3A0E1B1ACB84.jpeg
Maybe they were looking for the GPS antenna lead or something back there that disables the cellular dialer for Guardian? The rear headliner of many stolen vehicles are pulled down below where the GPS antenna mounts. They cut the GPS or cellular antenna wires.

Or the thief was just over zealous and yanked the glove box too hard?

Last edited:

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Forget alarms. You need good, old fashion, lethal security protection for your rig. Turn those thieves into crispy critters. See if you can import one of these:

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
If you look in the YouTube comments there are ass hats bragging about making and selling the devices. In one a guy left his telegram handle and flat out said he was selling them for 1k. Just get good insurance, have a reasonable deductible and keep on keepin on.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you look in the YouTube comments there are ass hats bragging about making and selling the devices. In one a guy left his telegram handle and flat out said he was selling them for 1k. Just get good insurance, have a reasonable deductible and keep on keepin on.
These asshole thieves are getting more creative. The devices are easily bought on the streets too. +1 on having a reasonable deductible.

Only takes a minute to steal a car with electronics. The thugs in this video were ready to shoot someone if they were to come out.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
IF they are gaining access to your vehicle through key fob relaying, you may want to consider getting one of those security bags from amazon. RFID blocking pouches. You can slip your fob into it if you're working and leaving your fob "in range". They do work. I have one and can go right up to the vehicle with the fob in the pouch and the jeep won't unlock, start, turn on lights, nothing. Even pressing the unlock button through the bag is blocked.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Does anyone know what they would be going after/trying to get at behind the glovebox?
Not sure, but that might be where the BCM (body control module) is located? That might be where the fob logic is (I don't really know though - it's just a guess). Also, that's where a techy thief can plug in to talk to other modules on the jeep's controller network. This is why I swap out a fuse too. All the techno hacks in the world won't bypass a 20 cent bad fuse that breaks the electrical path.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The two hot-ticket items in stolen or vandalized vehicles are the catalytic convertor and airbags.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Montreal, Canada and work at the airport.

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?
The Jeep is not the issue. There are many target cars, not just Jeeps. The first issue is with that parking lot; they need to get some better security there. If the airport does nothing, then just upgrade the security on the Jeep.... if you have no other options of where to park. Get an Owl Cam type of video monitoring system, sometimes that is enough for thieves to avoid your vehicle. Or get an old school locking device, a brake/pedal lock. Those are much better then steering wheel locks (since the steering wheels can be easily cut).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be aware the police don't give a rat's axe about your vehicle. They want a collar. They followed a known car theft ring to my wife's work and watched them steal her car, then the waited until they stripped it so they could bust them for some organized ring thing. The car had no insurance and was totaled.
Police can't charge someone if they did not commit a crime yet. Or if they did not actually see them do it. Police routinely will follow, watch and wait for criminals to commit a actual crime. Or wait for them to commit a more serious crime so they can charge them with a more serious crime. My neighbor called police when she saw guys looking into cars in her parking lot. She called back 3-4 times because no one showed up. She watched one guy jimmy the door and start the car. Tons of police suddenly came out of nowhere and surrounded the car the second he started the car. They wanted to charge them with GTA instead of theft from a automobile. Sucks for the owner of the car for sure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
If you can, always a good idea to try to park next to a tesla as long as the owner has set up recording, as they are recording 100% of the time. Will prevent the smart thieves that know about it from theft, and the not so smart ones will be recorded in their attempt at least.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?

You know all these posts of getting a beater car to take to work are missing the most important thing! you work at an airport... So my suggestion is to get a helicopter!

bam...problemo solved. lol

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

Drive a manual transmission, limits number of car thieves that know how to drive it
Sponsored