Sponsored

Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler?

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
The thief needs an introduction to the business end of a trail axe. Accidentally of course.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A friend of mine works on a special car tefth multi Police Service teams in The Province of Quebec and told me I should buy those steering wheel blockers because the wranglers and Gladiators are really targets these days. Montreal is even worst because of the proximity of the port. Vehicles get stolen and driven straight into containers for delivery abroad. The thieves have all the electronic equipment needed to bypass the security system and push to start. However most dont carry the tools needed to start wasting time trying to unlock the steering blockers.
They are probably watching cars in the lot.They will bring whatever they need if he is specifically being targeted. They will bring a small saw if they see the Club on the steering wheel. Those steering wheel locks like the Club only slow them down for a second. The problem is this. They do not cut the locks. They cut the steering wheel. Steering wheels are designed for safety. They are designed to purposely collapse in the event of a accident. The metal rim of a steering wheel is made of pretty thin metal. It is not nearly as thick as the lock. Even a hack saw blade will cut through the wired like metal rim of a steering wheel quickly.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had a similar problem many years ago with an El Camino. It was a target. All black custom paint and wheels. There were at least a few attempts at stealing it. Lucky for me, they were foiled. I had a hidden kill switch.

But with these highly electrical/electronic vehicles, disabling can be done in many places by simply disconnecting things or pulling fuses like; fuel pump fuse, brake sensor connector, throttle connector, starter fuse, etc.. I'm sure the OP is a sharp guy and can study the system and disable it in a way he doesn't advertise it here.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything nice will be a target, especially if left for extended periods someplace where thieves know they have time.

One thing to prevent a thief from driving it away is pull the fuel pump fuse and replace it with a blown fuse when you are leaving the vehicle for long periods. Don't tell people you do this!
Pulling a fuse and installing a locking hood lock is a good idea.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which is then removed pretty quickly with this:

1642701737654.png
They don't cut the locks. They cut the steering wheel which is very thin soft metal. The steering wheel can be cut in a minute with a simple hack saw blade.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, my JLUR has proximity key and remote engine start.
Any security videos of when they stole the entire Wrangler? How do police think they are getting in? It does not help that Wranglers do not have a steering wheel lock. They can push and steer a Wrangler away if they get inside without even starting it. I wonder if they used electronic devices to clone a fob to get passed the proximity and ignition? Or did they tow it away? Another possibility is a inside job from a dealership. It is possible someone at the dealer cloned a fob. They hide a device like a Apple AirTag with the speaker disabled and find your vehicle and drive away with a cloned fob.

Last edited:

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Uconnect is good, second get a 360 camera that has been useful of late. More than likely someone know you and know you're gone. Uber to airport. I hate to see this happen to anyone; the good thing is you can track the location of the Jeep-well at least the JLUR.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well, you might want to get an old junker, to park at the airport.
I've known several pilots, who drive older Toyotas to work, and would never park anything nice there. Too much temptation, and too much sun damage, to park a nice car there. or, what someone else said, UBER.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like some undercover surveillance is in order. Police should place a decoy in the garage and wait for the thieves if a lot of cars are being stolen from that lot.
Just be aware the police don't give a rat's axe about your vehicle. They want a collar. They followed a known car theft ring to my wife's work and watched them steal her car, then the waited until they stripped it so they could bust them for some organized ring thing. The car had no insurance and was totaled.

Sponsored

OP
OP

whoisphilli

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR
So I've been reunited with my vehicle. They gained entry through the passenger door with a thick coat hanger type hook (and left it behind in the car). The paint on the door edge is all gouged and the B pillar is slightly dented. Im going to have the dealer look at all the interior damage/wiring tomorrow. Im tempted to put a massive chain through the rim moving forward...

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Any security videos of when they stole the entire Wrangler? How do police think they are getting in? It does not help that Wranglers do not have a steering wheel lock. They can push and steer a Wrangler away if they get inside without even starting it. I wonder if they used electronic devices to clone a fob to get passed the proximity and ignition? Or did they tow it away? Another possibility is a inside job from a dealership. It is possible someone at the dealer cloned a fob. They hide a device like a Apple AirTag with the speaker disabled and find your vehicle and drive away with a cloned fob.
Wow, somebody has been watching the Gone in 60 Seconds marathon on TBS...

OP
OP

whoisphilli

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR
Does anyone know what they would be going after/trying to get at behind the glovebox?
Jeep Wrangler JL Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler? 6F668675-725C-483A-9855-3A0E1B1ACB84

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
🤪 Moving from BC Canada to another place for reducing auto theft isn't even a little bit logical.
If that is all you took from my post, I hardly believe you have any firm grasp on what is and isn’t logical.
Sponsored