Sponsored

Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler?

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Whatever you decide as a deterrent, make it VERY visible, so the thief can see it, and choose an easier target. A loud alarm can also help.
Sponsored

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
all jokes aside i am sorry you have gone through this But best way would be a dead switch on the ignition system old school style. and keep the jeep unlocked to help prevent damage from happening upon trying to enter the jeep. Another thing would be to put complaints into the airport and your boss about the second theft attempt and needed cameras or security into the workers lot. Obviously their fence isn't keeping the common car thieves out and they could be liable.. Best of luck
inside job lol

Sponsored

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I live in Montreal, Canada and work at the airport.

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?
Ugh that sucks. I had my Jeep broken into today also and it's just a shitty feeling. Sadly there's not much to do but fix what they broke and move on. The most you can do is never leave anything of value in it and hope for the best. :(

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Wrangler Willys
Leave your Jeep at home and Uber to the airport. Or get a clunker as a second vehicle.
That is what we do. My husband drives a 1995 Toyota Corolla to work and I also have a commuter, thought it is much newer. I can't get him to get something newer. He loves that POS.

Our Jeeps are for days off and fun. Saves miles and wear and tear. He just sold his 2015 and it only had 43,000 miles on it. We ordered him a new Willy's and waiting for it to be built.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ha "luxury". That's a fearful mindset instilled, tell that to the countless military families who have to uproot and move, often staying homeless for months at a time. Also the same families who are jobless and homeless when the service member ends their service time. Once you stop making excuses, anything can be possible. If you're a pilot you have skills that can get you employed in a lot more places than you think.
🤪 Moving from BC Canada to another place for reducing auto theft isn't even a little bit logical.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I live in Montreal, Canada and work at the airport.

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?
Anything nice will be a target, especially if left for extended periods someplace where thieves know they have time.

One thing to prevent a thief from driving it away is pull the fuel pump fuse and replace it with a blown fuse when you are leaving the vehicle for long periods. Don't tell people you do this!

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I like the concept of what the post above is providing. I just went out and looked at the fuse panel and other things that could quickly be disconnected that would disable it. Just be mindful to have a dummy in a critical fuse location.

The connector to the throttle body is slightly on the underside and easily disconnected. if you put it where it's still on there but disconnected electrically, it would be tough to spot.

There's a lot of things you can do to disable it when parking long term. Do more than one disabling thing. Typically a thief won't want to spend a lot of time diagnosing a problem. But if they really want it, they'll get it. There are lot of stolen vehicles that get towed or trailered, etc..

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I've mentioned this before on another thread, but I'll mention it here also. I intend on installing a hidden switch that disconnects the brake signal. This will prevent a start by the pushbutton. If someone did somehow intersept the key fob remote start signal and started it, they will not drive it away if it's an automatic since the gear selector will not leave park.

A well hidden and disguised switch will take too long for a thief to find if even they could tell that's the problem.

Another option is to pull the fuel pump relay and put a non working one in it's place. Doubtful that thieves carry relays around with them.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect better options (such as an access code to start) to protect your asset since the current key system is obviously easily bypassed.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2021/0...nger-srt-security-mode-anti-theft-slow-speed/
You could use the Jeep app to set a boundary limit on your Jeep so that you're notified when it leaves the parking lot (free download), you could buy a secondary alarm. There is a lot you could do. I wouldn't want to have to have my keys, then an access code to get in my vehicle every day to use it. And you don't have a "Hellcat Wrangler" :) Someone dropping Hellcat money would want extra security as that car will draw attention, is limited and worth way more than a Wrangler. And it isn't stopped, just limited to under 700rpms, it can still be stolen. Honestly, just go with a secondary system or think outside the box...this just isn't Jeeps problem IMO.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If it's parked in a gated employee lot, one would assume there is some type of security/servalence of the lot? Have you contacted your employer, or the lot owners?
I would check how often cars are stolen from the lot. How many other cars are stolen?

The lot owner might have some liability in some cases. I would check security cameras.
Sponsored