Sponsored

Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler?

whoisphilli

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR
I live in Montreal, Canada and work at the airport.

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?
Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Leave your Jeep at home and Uber to the airport. Or get a clunker as a second vehicle.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum

Back in October, my 2020 JLU Sahara was stolen from the gated employee parking lot. Dealing with the insurance and police was a hassle but eventually I got paid out new replacement value and bought a 2021 JLUR. Last night my JLUR was attempted to be stolen from the same lot. I was out of the country and received uconnect guardian alarm trigger emails. A friend back home went to my car ASAP and confirmed all doors had been unlocked and all the dash trim near the infotainment screen and glovebox have been removed.

I’m absolutely fed up with owning a vehicle that disappears so easily and is such a target. Does anyone have any insight on how/why Jeep JL theft is so high and how to mitigate it?
Dude. Park elsewhere! And ask for the video.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Maybe it's personal since it's a repeat offense. There's always old school alarms.

Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i have the perfect solution...

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

all jokes aside i am sorry you have gone through this But best way would be a dead switch on the ignition system old school style. and keep the jeep unlocked to help prevent damage from happening upon trying to enter the jeep. Another thing would be to put complaints into the airport and your boss about the second theft attempt and needed cameras or security into the workers lot. Obviously their fence isn't keeping the common car thieves out and they could be liable.. Best of luck

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Chris Fix did a video on how to install a kill switch. I don't know if all the fancy tech on our jeeps will allow it, but i would look into it. It worked for Mad Max.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
…or…
The thieves could be other workers at the airport who have access to the employee car lot. Many times in cases like these, the theft could be coming from an “internal” source vs. an “external” one. Especially since this has happened to you personally multiple times in the same secured parking area.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Oh, that sucks and hearing this story makes my blood boil. Are thefts in the employee lot that common? I've spoken to a couple of other owners that had their wheels stolen or vehicle went missing from a movie theatre parking lot (in Laval), but your story tops it. I don't know what advise I could give other than an aftermarket cut-off switch. That would prevent it from disappearing, but not for break-ins.

Does you Wrangler have proximity door locks? Just curious.

I love my Wrangler, but I understand how you're feeling.

randyone

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Saharah
Sorry this happened to you. I would see if other vehicles in the lot have been targeted as well or is it just a Jeep thing.

Sponsored