Sponsored

Second theft in 3 months - Do I get rid of my wrangler?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ok, #1, why would you have no insurance on a vehicle?? Sorry but that's just stupidity. #2, how are you legally driving a vehicle without insurance?? I have to provide proof of insurance every year when I renew my vehicle registration. Without the registration I'd be driving illegally.
We dropped the vehicle coverage and kept liability coverage. The car was getting older.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I used to work at a mall here in Pittsburgh where vehicles were being stolen constantly.
Ross Park? Even back in the 90s, we were being cautioned to watch our six when going to/from our vehicles.

There's context here, of course, but mentioning it might invite accusations of me declaring what team I'm on. Heaven forbid that happens. :LOL:

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
The guy lives in Canada not sure a POS will make it through that tundra to get to work. Also not sure you guys have been keeping up with used car prices these days. A POS might cost him $10-15k in this market.
2mos ago, I picked up a 2002 Honda CRV for $1500.

Inside is immaculate. Outside isn't show quality, but it isn't a rust bucket either. Needed rear brakes (easy job). 250K miles, but still running strong.

It's an all-wheel drive machine that performs better in < 4" of snow better than my wrangler does. In reality, it's a dog hauler/farm vehicle that I don't mind beating. When the road is full of salt/slush, I take it to work.

They're out there- you just need to look around.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
2mos ago, I picked up a 2002 Honda CRV for $1500.

Inside is immaculate. Outside isn't show quality, but it isn't a rust bucket either. Needed rear brakes (easy job). 250K miles, but still running strong.

It's an all-wheel drive machine that performs better in < 4" of snow better than my wrangler does. In reality, it's a dog hauler/farm vehicle that I don't mind beating. When the road is full of salt/slush, I take it to work.

They're out there- you just need to look around.
As a recent Wrangler owner, this thread kind of got me thinking about what to do once I start commuting again, which involves leaving my vehicle at a commuter parking lot and commuting into Manhattan. Commuting for many years from this same location, I never really worried all that much about any prior vehicles, including Audi, Lexus, etc. But now, it sure seems like auto thefts are running rampant in my area, so I wouldn't put it past the thieves to troll around commuter parking lots. We recently had a rash of window break-ins at my son's basketball center while parents were inside watching games...

Anyway, I love driving my Wrangler, and on the one hand, don't want to give up driving it even to/from the commuter parking, but also don't want it broken into or stolen. Not sure what I am going to do yet and still have some time until I start going back into Manhattan to my office, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been looking at the used car sites for a commuter car. Now, I'm not looking for a real POS, but something that won't draw much attention. And really, for anything semi-recent and semi-decent, it's looking like $20k or more, which is a real turnoff. But sure, you can go really old, or crazy-high mileage, or no features, for not a ton of money. I would still want some creature comforts. YMMV.
Sponsored