Sponsored

Second oil change 5K miles 1 qt low

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Yesterday was maintenance day!!! Just did my second oil change. Im going every 5k, the EVIC said I had 30% life left. Only 4 qts dropped…A full quart seems like a lot of oil for this little engine to burn through. No leaks and the coolant is fine. I’ll be keeping a closer eye on oil level now that I know it’s thirsty. 5qts is perfectly full on my dipstick (after waiting about 4mins). I went to do my tire rotation and I’m going to need new lug nuts first. The factory lug nuts mashed out of shape and wore through in places, I’m not a fan of these two piece nuts or the offset of the factory wheels.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I change my oil every 5,000 miles and I usually pull a little over 4 quarts out as well (3.6 engine). I am preforming my 6th oil change today and I expect the same as before.

OP
OP
Industrialwrench

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I change my oil every 5,000 miles and I usually pull a little over 4 quarts out as well (3.6 engine). I am preforming my 6th oil change today and I expect the same as before.
Okay. I have the same, 3.6L. I guess I’ll just buy the 6th quart each time and keep it on hand for a few thousand miles down the road. This engine must have some strange piston ring orientation or something, maybe I’ll buy a catch cam to see if it’s mainly going back through the intake?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
What oil did you use the change before ?
I tried redline once and it was a quart low when I changed that out. The Pennzoil doesn't burn out for me like the redline does.

I pick up an extra quart usually to pour in a quarter to half a quart of new oil before I put the plug back in and let that drain out while I change the filter.

Sponsored

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve only done one on mine so far. No noticeable loss of oil or use. Of course, being a used vehicle the dealer could have topped things off before delivery.

On the Lug nuts, WHAT Happened? I did my tire rotation the same time I did the oil change and I used an Electric impact wrench to get mine off with no issues. After looking at all of them they seemed like they were fine. I also added 5 McGard Wheel locks at the same time so I have 5 spare lug it’s just in-case. (If I can find/remember where I put them! Getting OLD sucks!)

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Yesterday was maintenance day!!! Just did my second oil change. Im going every 5k, the EVIC said I had 30% life left. Only 4 qts dropped…A full quart seems like a lot of oil for this little engine to burn through. No leaks and the coolant is fine. I’ll be keeping a closer eye on oil level now that I know it’s thirsty. 5qts is perfectly full on my dipstick (after waiting about 4mins). I went to do my tire rotation and I’m going to need new lug nuts first. The factory lug nuts mashed out of shape and wore through in places, I’m not a fan of these two piece nuts or the offset of the factory wheels.
It also depends on how much the engine runs and driving style etc, the 5 K miles in my opinion is not unusual for oil consumption of that kind, just try to keep an eye on it, I always check before a long trip just to be sure. Honestly my X5 drinks oil like it’s tequila shots 🤷‍♂️ bmw are known for crazy oil consumption so even in the past with my 3.6 topping off occasionally didn’t seem like a big deal to me

OP
OP
Industrialwrench

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the Lug nuts, WHAT Happened? I did my tire rotation the same time I did the oil change and I used an Electric impact wrench to get mine off with no issues. After looking at all of them they seemed like they were fine. I also added 5 McGard Wheel locks at the same time so I have 5 spare lug it’s just in-case. (If I can find/remember where I put them! Getting OLD sucks!)

I’ve destroyed them off-road, I only noticed because I was going to rotate them and found that my sockets not going to fit. Legit wore a hole through the end of one and smashed a few others out of shape, an open end wrench will fit so I just need replacement ones. That and some functional off-road rims.
Sponsored