Sponsored

Second long trip with the eco diesel and the third service shop stop

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is my third Wrangler, one 5sp auto, one 6sp manual, and now the 8sp auto. I've also driven a 2014 GC 3.0 for 5 years. I'm entitled to say it's anemic. I had nothing but constant emissions issues with the diesel. It is what is, but IT could be better.

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
OP, I love your attitude. You could tuck your tail and piss and moan until the cows come home...and still be stranded. Instead, you are working through it the best you can and kind enough to share your experience. Great job!!
I am just giving an opinion here, but the OP did not appear to start a thread polling for why others did not choose the same engine he is unfortunately having issues with. The new Jeep owner is having a real challenge right now and we got folks rubbing a little salt in that wound by justifying their own purchase? Lots of room here to start your own thread on your decision :) .
OP, hang tough and let us know how this story goes. I think the Jeep Gods owe you one soon!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
OP, I love your attitude. You could tuck your tail and piss and moan until the cows come home...and still be stranded. Instead, you are working through it the best you can and kind enough to share your experience. Great job!!
I am just giving an opinion here, but the OP did not appear to start a thread polling for why others did not choose the same engine he is unfortunately having issues with. The new Jeep owner is having a real challenge right now and we got folks rubbing a little salt in that wound by justifying their own purchase? Lots of room here to start your own thread on your decision :) .
OP, hang tough and let us know how this story goes. I think the Jeep Gods owe you one soon!
Yes, we have an abundance of assholes on this forum who are self centered, jealous, or too stupid to read the situation.

The OP is a retired guy looking to enjoy the outdoors and some trails in what should be the ultimate cross country JL -- the diesel. We should be wishing him good luck versus pontificating why the 3.6 is the best motor.

Learn to use the ignore feature on here as it makes for a much more enjoyable experience

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Greg! We are doing great. Every night we get in the tent we pretend to be on the trail. Forums have a diverse group with many options and lots to share. I do like to stay on focus but a little banter is totally manageable by me. I will continue to keep this thread going and focus on my specific issues with the 3.0. More to follow. Happy trails to y’all

image.jpg

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Greg! We are doing great. Every night we get in the tent we pretend to be on the trail. Forums have a diverse group with many options and lots to share. I do like to stay on focus but a little banter is totally manageable by me. I will continue to keep this thread going and focus on my specific issues with the 3.0. More to follow. Happy trails to y’all

image.jpg
Slap a Ford Bronco banner on the side of your tent. You will see how quickly that dealer fixes your Jeep to get you off his lot... :LOL:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several

Jeep Wrangler JL Second long trip with the eco diesel and the third service shop stop image
Great Attitude! Would love to know the source for those Aluminum Trail boxes you have in the foreground....

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Well, I was ask to keep the forum informed as to how our Moab trip is going...We are currently in Brigham City Utah with a blown turbo and 1200 miles from home. The good news is that the replacement turbo will be here this coming Thursday. Great way to spend your first anniversary. Stay tuned for more adventures of June and John!

About to have our 46th anniversary. At least you'll have a reason to remember your first. I sure can't remember mine, except that it likely involved a CJ. :CWL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Second long trip with the eco diesel and the third service shop stop IMG_5607.JPG

Last edited:

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually

image.jpg

Superb attitude!!

We are retired and do a mega-roadtrip out of Alaska to the lower 48 every other winter. Bigfoot 4 season camper in the back of a '06 Cummins dually and now we flat tow Kini behind it. We ALWAYS have some kind of mechanical during the 16,000 - 20,000 miles of each trip. It happens. Attitude is everything.

Had an injector go out in the absolute middle of nowhere in the Yukon on one trip. My wife simply said, "we have 2 months of food in ORKA (truck camper's name), and you picked a great spot to drop anchor".

We have also camped in Dodge dealerships. :CWL:

Attitude is everything. Congrats!!

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

Jeep Wrangler JL Second long trip with the eco diesel and the third service shop stop IMG_0323

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Could you share with us the percentage of diesels that are having issues?
I doubt anyone outside FCA has the exact figures. But one can get a sense by how long each motor has been on the market vs how long the issues started to appear on the Internet.

The Pentastar V6 was plagued by cylinder head issues during the first 6 months after it launched in 2012, but FCA acted fast and resolved the issue quickly. Since then, posts of people having issues with the V6 have become rare.

The 2.0T appears to be surprisingly reliable. Despite being a newish Alfa Romeo motor, very few issues have been reported in JL's 3 model years so far.

The original EcoDiesel was mired with issues following its initial launch in 2015. In 2017 FCA had to pull the motor out of the market while it figured out a fix, and then retroactively detune the engines on vehicles already in circulation, in order to comply with the law and the legal settlement. This left many owners extremely displeased with the performance of their EcoDiesels. The number of issues now popping up on the Wrangler/Gladiator forums seems high given that the motor launched only a few months ago.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You would think they would have given you a loaner capable of at least towing your trailer to a campground for a couple of days. Hope they get you sorted out and on the road again quickly.

Jimmy’sRubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2010 JKU
Well guys your right 3.6 is dependable "some what" but so is a Honda , after 22 jeeps 2 JKs 3.8 , 2 JKs 3.6 , and now 3.0 diesel the torque in this puppy will clime a mountain while idling!! and still do 29 mpg. It's best to support our fellow Jeepers, he did Not sacrifice anything! He's still well ahead of the game!
Sponsored