Sponsored

Second guessing not choosing the 8.4" screen. Differences?

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I've ordered a JLUR (currently in D status with no estimated shipping date). I left the Rubicon with the standard 7" screen, thinking that it was basically navigation, which I do on my phone, and screen size, which I don't see as a big difference.

Is there anything else I am missing in the differences between the 7" and the 8.4" infotainment system?

Looks like offroad pages won't be showing up on the 7". Those look cool but wouldn't justify the extra $1500. Any other differences that would make it worth redoing my order?
Sponsored

bayou girl

First Name
Sallye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JLR
upload_2018-11-7_16-51-54.png

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Infotainment package is worth every penny. You can change your order if still in D (don’t let anyone tell you otherwise).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Infotainment package is worth every penny. You can change your order if still in D (don’t let anyone tell you otherwise).
Are there other features or functions not mentioned between the 7" and 8.4" screen?

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Think I need to give my dealer a call - I ordered the Alpine stereo, he told me not to bother with the 8.4" screen. Looks like the alpine system comes with the 8.4, that only makes it a $250 difference. that changes everything.

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Called the dealer, they said they can't always get changes made after D status, but he entered it into the system while I was on the phone with him. If it doesn't get approved I'll cancel the order and start fresh. Don't want to wait longer than I have to, but sounds like it's worth it.

MAPC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JK-U, JL-U awaiting production
I've ordered a JLUR (currently in D status with no estimated shipping date). I left the Rubicon with the standard 7" screen, thinking that it was basically navigation, which I do on my phone, and screen size, which I don't see as a big difference.

Is there anything else I am missing in the differences between the 7" and the 8.4" infotainment system?

Looks like offroad pages won't be showing up on the 7". Those look cool but wouldn't justify the extra $1500. Any other differences that would make it worth redoing my order?
Did you order the Alpine separately? If so, as pointed out on here, if is only another $250 to get the bigger screen. If you haven't ordered the Alpine, then I'd still get the whole package (which I did) because it seems like a lot of value (relative to some other options!). Just my 2 cents!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called the dealer, they said they can't always get changes made after D status, but he entered it into the system while I was on the phone with him. If it doesn't get approved I'll cancel the order and start fresh. Don't want to wait longer than I have to, but sounds like it's worth it.
He’s mistaken. He has to call his rep, but 100% doable while still in D.

FWIW, I have pretty much every feature, and infotainment is the one I would regret not having the most out of all of them.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
FWIW, I have pretty much every feature, and infotainment is the one I would regret not having the most out of all of them.
What component of it makes it so great? This option hasn't really even crossed my mind.
Is active noise control actually effective?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Better speakers and sound.
Really? I didn’t know that. I got the 7” with the premium Alpine and I thought those were the same speakers you get with the 8.4”
From the list published above the main difference is Navigation and The “extra” Sirius options. I don’t see anything else on the list that I don’t have.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
The system absolutely bumps and the larger screen is one of those features you didn't realize you needed until you have it. Crystal clear with a very responsive touch screen and the navigation is actually pretty good, i prefer it over maps on my iPhone.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? I didn’t know that. I got the 7” with the premium Alpine and I thought those were the same speakers you get with the 8.4”
From the list published above the main difference is Navigation and The “extra” Sirius options. I don’t see anything else on the list that I don’t have.
Ah ha. Didn’t realize you already got alpine upgrade. So, yeah, not better speakers than what you’ve already spec’d. I’d still get the 8.4”, though. If you’re shelling out the extra beans for Alpine, already, you might as well go with the better screen, too. It’s really very nice. Not sure if it has the same version of Uconnect as the 7”, but it’s great. Way better than my GMC.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The system absolutely bumps and the larger screen is one of those features you didn't realize you needed until you have it. Crystal clear with a very responsive touch screen and the navigation is actually pretty good, i prefer it over maps on my iPhone.
I remember reading complaints from 7” owners that CarPlay looked weirdly big. Looks perfect on the 8.4.
Sponsored