Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Wow, looks awesome.

FYI, if you live in a winter climate.... My brother has the same bumper on his 4xe and last week he asked me for my Linex contact. After a mere 2 months on winter salted and sanded roads, he says he needs to sand it and go have it sprayed in Linex. I should see him soon, so I'll try and snap some pics of the current state of his bumper.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wow, looks awesome.

FYI, if you live in a winter climate.... My brother has the same bumper on his 4xe and last week he asked me for my Linex contact. After a mere 2 months on winter salted and sanded roads, he says he needs to sand it and go have it sprayed in Linex. I should see him soon, so I'll try and snap some pics of the current state of his bumper.
That is good info, thanks! I live in Seattle and although we can have wet weather, we don't get much rust at all. Very weird but I'm happy about that. Could be because the don't salt the roads here and we don't cycle above and below freezing a lot (mainly because it doesn't get below freezing here all that much).

I did so much fabrication on this and putting it together and taking it apart that I did ding it up quite a bit. Well, also the main structural pieces had 6-7 powder coat dings from shipping as well. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
And looking at your pic again, is it just the pic or you can't spin your winch to freespool ? My brother has the EVO Warn winch and frespool is at 6 O'Clock so no problem, but the the Badland APEX is all the way to 3 O'Clock and the pic suggests that it won't work.

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And looking at your pic again, is it just the pic or you can't spin your winch to freespool ? My brother has the EVO Warn winch and frespool is at 6 O'Clock so no problem, but the the Badland APEX is all the way to 3 O'Clock and the pic suggests that it won't work.
The mounting holes in the bumper for the winch are slots that allow for shifting side-to-side by about 1/2 inch. When I slid the winch passenger side as much as possible there was enough clearance to have the clutch work great. So I can set to freespool just fine.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Great, I think that's important info for the guys planning to run the same bumper/winch combo.... To avoid having to repostion it after initial install :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Great day out on Middle Fork Road outside North Bend, Washington with @dragoneggs and @hickinwa ! Got in a little winch practice too. We have massive trees out here. One 8 foot tree saver was too short and had to use two of them. Stayed below 1,500 feet and only saw one snowbank. And of course @hickinwa had to get 2 tires up on it.

NF-110 skirts the base this. I thinks it's called Infinite Bliss.
Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build 20230211_112600

The Jeepin rigs
Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build 20230211_111835

Sponsored

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
I was able to purchase some LOD Armor Lite Steps/Sliders from a forum member last week (thanks @RubiCoug). I couldn't install them over the weekend with family stuff going on but I did to a Sunday night passenger and Monday night driver install. Took 2 hours for the passenger side as it was learn by doing. It was very easy but I was slow. Tonight (Monday) I was able to get the driver side on in less than an hour so I had time to futz with my Rokblokz mud flaps. i got the fronts on. Again, a learning curve on one side and super fast on the other. I tried installing the rears too but there was an issue with a piece of plastic not wanting to fit. I need to go back and rewatch the video. I'm wondering if the plastic was updated a little bit for 2023. Probably not, probably just me. Anyway, here are some install pics.

EDIT: Went and looked at the online install guide and it said you can leave the small, lower plastic wheel well liner off or you can notch it. I missed that part in the install video. Maybe I'm not quite as big an idiot as I first thought. I'll reinstall the rear mud flaps tomorrow. It will take 10 min. I'll notch the plastic inserts later.

Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build B21338C7-2206-415B-9FD0-91E17FF82EF0

Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build B21338C7-2206-415B-9FD0-91E17FF82EF0

Couple of questions for you:

1. Are you finding that the steps in these sliders make a difference? I have a Rubi XR and have been looking at these or the M.O.R.E. hide-a-step. I like the look of these sliders a lot, but I wonder if the built in step will still be high enough that it doesn't get used. I'm 6 feet tall, so not a huge deal for me (although my age is starting to show itself getting in and out) but the wife and daughter wouldn't mind some help. I could always get the additional drop steps for these too I suppose, but just wanted to see if you were finding the step part useful.

2. How to the Rock Blokz fit with them? I have these already installed with the cutouts for the Rubi Rock Rails, so they have a hole in them. I suppose I would have to replace them?

Nice looking rig.

Thx

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Couple of questions for you:

1. Are you finding that the steps in these sliders make a difference? I have a Rubi XR and have been looking at these or the M.O.R.E. hide-a-step. I like the look of these sliders a lot, but I wonder if the built in step will still be high enough that it doesn't get used. I'm 6 feet tall, so not a huge deal for me (although my age is starting to show itself getting in and out) but the wife and daughter wouldn't mind some help. I could always get the additional drop steps for these too I suppose, but just wanted to see if you were finding the step part useful.

2. How to the Rock Blokz fit with them? I have these already installed with the cutouts for the Rubi Rock Rails, so they have a hole in them. I suppose I would have to replace them?

Nice looking rig.

Thx
Hi @Plumbean!

Those are good questions and thank you for the kind words.

1. I love the steps. That said, they are a little high for some folks (without the added drop step). I have older family members that would really benefit from having the added drop step. One of the main reasons I got this is because I could install the drop steps if I want and easily remove them if I wanted. I did not want fancy electronic drop steps. I also think they are strong enough to protect ths sides from rock/tree damange. I did buy the steel sliders that attach to the bottom and they should protect them from rock bashing. I haven't installed them yet (20ish extra pounds) but I will before going to Moab next month. For me personally (I'm late 50s) I do use the step. Not because I need to (I'm just under 6') but because I want to put less wear on the edge of my seat. I also like the steps for access to the roof. All-in-all, I love them.

Oh and one other note. I would not hesitate to use a high lift on the side steps to lift the vehicle. I'd do it from the middle or ends where it bolts on the frame.

2. I like the Rok Blokz a lot. I like the fact that they are easy to remove AND I think they do a great job of keeping the side of the vehicle much cleaner. I've noted a marked decrease in the splatter on the doors from the front tires. I think there are better looking mud flaps but there are not more functional mud flaps and I want them for the function. The WeatherTech mud flaps look much more stock. If you still have the cutouts, you might be able to plug them back in and bond with something. just a thought.

Cheers
Jeff

EDIT: PS - If you want more pictures of something specific (with or without a ruler to show placement/clearance) let me know.

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm way behind in posting. Went to Tahuya with a Seattle group on March 19th and it was awesome!

Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build jeeps-rocks_small

Heading to Moab with a forum group tomorrow! I'm super excited.

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Damn, I'm so stoked to head to Moab all I can do is dumb shit like alter lyrics to songs I like...

Heard of a Jeep that's, loaded with shackles
Packed up and ready to go
Heard of some slickrock, out by the highway
A place where nobody knows

The sound of revving, off in the distance
I'm getting used to it now
Drive on the brown stone, drive to the meadow
Just drive yourself out of town

This ain't no parade, this ain't no mall crawl
Drive over don't go around
No time for waxing, or washy washy
I ain't got time for that now