Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

There are some BOH trails in the Tillamook State Forest. You might want to check out the Jolly Jeepers Back to Basics tour next July. It fills up fast if you want to go. Small groups with trail leaders. Camping and meals included. Check it out here.
https://www.jollyjeepers.org/rally/index.html
Oh, that looks aweome! Thanks for the tip!!
Sponsored

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
No worries it is always a good time. I was a club member for 14 years until I retired and moved to Central Oregon 10 years ago. Good diversity of trails.

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Trip Report
Washington Backcountry Discovery Route Section 3
Sat/Sun August 20/21 2022

You might ask why a trip report is in my build blog. Well the answer is that I don't have a Jeep yet and this was a chance for me to really see how a Jeep performs on a longish overland trail. It will inform my build. Also, as noted above, I hoped to run a temperature experiment that could also help inform my build (and the build of my friend @M_Pluto ). This section is about 70 miles with some of that on pavement (10-15 miles). Also, a shout out to @Murphydog for suggesting doing the WABDR!

My Jeeping friend Mike (and his JLUR Marmot) and I planned a weekend trip and picked the WABDR Section 3. I should say, Mike picked the route. I had suggested sections 2 & 3 since they are easily accessible from Seattle via Interstate 90. As Mike researched the WABDR he thought just doing section 3 would be smarter for a 2-day trip. As long as I got to go, I didn't care. My job would be navigating. As it turned out, it was good to have a navigator. This route is unmarked and traveling alone would make navigation tough. In addition, if you check out YouTube on section 3, there is a washout on the road that makes a short section tricky and a spotter is very handy.

I won't go into too many details other than to say we had a blast. It was a very, very beautiful drive. Some great overlooks. One really impressive overlook that seemed to me to be the site of an old landslide that must have been devastating. The entire slope down for well over 1,000 vertical feet is devoid of vegetation. I didn't get a good picture of this. It was hard to capture the scale. The loop from Wenatchee to Cashmere was really fun too. After a steep, short climb up on a rutted, dusty trail, there was a steady descent in a valley that extended for maybe 10-15 miles. Not terribly difficult and the temperature was cooler.

Photos and videos are uploaded to my publicly accessible Google Drive here.

I would have to classify the temperature experiment as a failure. The goal was to get useful data to determine how warm the interior floor of a jeep might get without carpet. Secondarily it was also an experiment in just trying to accurately measure temperatures. I need to better calibrate my laser measuring unit and better define the spots where I want to measure. Also, it's impossible to measure inside temperatures when the back is loaded with gear. I'll be doing this again...

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Looks like you had a great weekend. Regrettably we haven’t been out this summer like we usually are, however this Saturday we head to Moab for a week.

can’t wait to see your rig once it is delivered

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Looks like you had a great weekend. Regrettably we haven’t been out this summer like we usually are, however this Saturday we head to Moab for a week.

can’t wait to see your rig once it is delivered
Fantastic! Mike and I were talking about if we'd want to go to Moab. The answer is yes! Best to you and please write up a trip report. Can't wait to hear about it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Quick note, basically to myself, that my Jeep has been in Production (E status) since 10/10 and it's now 10/18. My dealer said it's in I status (final inspection) in his system but he said that on 10/13 as well when he checked. I'm nervous there are parts shortages holding up the show. I have read in other threads that there have been issues with the XR package, LED package and various safety packages at least. Keeping my fingers crossed it is built soon.

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thankfully I got notice this morning that my Jeep is built and in KZ status. Hopefully, I get it close to the estimated 12/1 date (but I bet that slips by a couple weeks).

Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 8.57.21 AM

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have started getting some tools I think I'll need that I don't have. This assumes I'll be doing bumper, winch and side step/rocker installs fairly soon.

1. DeWalt 6-gallon pancake compressor
  2. Compressor hose, fittings, etc
  3. 1/2" drive Impact Wrench
  4. 1/2" drive Breaker Bar - 24" length
  5. 1/2" drive set of deep well, impact, metric sockets (up to 25mm)
  6. 150-piece compact tool kit
  7. Ear Protection for when using the Impact Wrench
Next up are:
  1. Two small bottle jacks
  2. Two jack stands

TamTam

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Earl Grey JLURXR
Occupation
Medically retired
Thankfully I got notice this morning that my Jeep is built and in KZ status. Hopefully, I get it close to the estimated 12/1 date (but I bet that slips by a couple weeks).

Jeep Wrangler JL Seattle 2023 Earl JLUR XR Build Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 8.57.21 AM
I’m sorry I thought you received it 😞.

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well, my Jeep finally is in Washington State. Got word from my dealer today that my Jeep arrived in the Kent (South Seattle) rail yard and is waiting on the lot for a truck. Hopefully it will get there in the next week and I can pick it up shortly afterwards. Woot!

I've made a pickup checklist (by stealing it from another thread user whose name escapes me) and I'll check it twice.

There are some things I know I need to do as soon as possible
  • Make sure the tire pressure is set properly, do the chalk test
  • Reseat all the fuses
  • Get floor mats (I didn't order any, I like WeatherTech)
  • Install a windshield protector
  • Install an 8.4" screen protector
  • Check for manufacturing flaws (paint, frame rust, etc)
  • Install fire extinguishers (I have 2 Elements already)
  • Install grab handles
  • Go wheeling!
Can't wait!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Hi Mark!
That is great advice with the jeep and in life. I'll try to follow it. Thank you!

Go slow, enjoy the journey

Best
Jeff

PS - I might get a window sticker with this mantra.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Can't wait to see the pictures! Now that my favorite color and packages are back I went ahead and ordered a '23XR. Likely deliver in March. Should be perfect for Summer!

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Can't wait to see the pictures! Now that my favorite color and packages are back I went ahead and ordered a '23XR. Likely deliver in March. Should be perfect for Summer!
Fantastic! What color and options did you order?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Hydro Blue - Leather, Cold Weather, both Safetys, tow, hard top V6 eTorque with automatic. I purchased a used soft top last summer and will keep that.
Sponsored