First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Earl Grey JLURXR
Occupation
Medically retired
Damn, I'm so stoked to head to Moab all I can do is dumb shit like alter lyrics to songs I like...

Heard of a Jeep that's, loaded with shackles
Packed up and ready to go
Heard of some slickrock, out by the highway
A place where nobody knows

The sound of revving, off in the distance
I'm getting used to it now
Drive on the brown stone, drive to the meadow
Just drive yourself out of town

This ain't no parade, this ain't no mall crawl
Drive over don't go around
No time for waxing, or washy washy
I ain't got time for that now
Have a wonderful time Jeff!! I want to hear all about it when you get back!! ✌
Sponsored

OP
OP
MeatRack

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well, I'm overdo in adding something to this build thread so here goes.

My buddy Mike (@mikehabl ) and i drove down to Moab from the Seattle area to join a group from this forum. It was very cool that I was invited to join since I'm new to jeeping and a couple folks down there were very experienced. Mike is also far more experience than me and it was awesome to have him with me the whole way. Whether it was spotting me, taking pictures or coaching me on better ways to get the Jeep in 4-wheel low, he was always positive and fun to hang with. A perfect companion for 1,070 miles each way with hours and hours in the Jeep together over 8 days. Also coming down from Washington State was Mark (@dragoneggs) and his wife. He is a Jeep buddy of Mike and I. We have all been out wheeling several times. He has been a good mentor for me doing things like teaching me how to use my winch when I got it installed.

1st Day, Saturday 4/8. We made it from Seattle to Ogden UT (via I90 => I82 => I84), which was 812 miles on I90 to I82 to I84. I drove the whole way starting at 6:30AM and never got tired! I just love driving my Jeep. Maybe it was Mike's country music playlist that kept me going. We had a nice dinner in Ogden with my cousin and my cousin's wife. Good start! I should say that Mike warned me to fill up at 1/2 tank and I didn't do that. I should have. We got down to 40 miles of range before finding a gas station in Oregon. I decided in the future to follow Mike's advice and stop at 1/2 a tank. We weren't in that big a hurry, why not take more quick breaks?

2nd day, Sunday 4/9. This was an easy 260 miles into Moab via US 6 => US 191 => I70 = US 191. The strangest thing about the trip was seeing about 10 dead dear (and 1 or 2 coyotes) by the side of the road going over the pass out of Provo on US 6. It was pretty, but I would not want to do that drive from dusk to dawn. It was some beautiful scenery going down the canyon into Moab from I70 in the north. We passed one of sevaral entrances to Canyonlands National Park on the West about 15 miles from Moab and the entrance to Arches National Park on the East about 2 miles from Moab. We rolled into town about 1PM, had a late lunch and went to Canyonlands National Park - Islands in the Sky entrance (mentioned previously). Got back in time to meet up with the group at Zax Pizza. Great to meet everyone. I felt like the least experienced Jeeper in the group but everyone was super nice and it was clear they were team-first and willing to help the newbie. This was expecially true of the leader of our group, Zeke (@19 JLUR Bright Whit3 ), from back East. After exchanging many messages, it was nice to put a face to the moniker. Also met 3 super cool dudes that I enjoyed wheeling with immensely. Robert @Comeandtakeitnevada (a very experienced Jeeper from Nevada) and Rich (@Troposphere , a newer Jeeper like me also from back East) and Roy @grimmjeeper (who is very experienced and a guide for Easter Jeep Safari).

3rd day, Monday 4/10. Met for breakfast at the Moab Diner (yummy) and then met at the City Market gassed up and ready to go at 10AM. The plan was to do Hell's Revenge and then Fins and Things. Turns out that we were pretty slow (due to the newbies) and so we only got to Hell's Revenge. That was plenty as far as I was concerned for a start. The initial obstacle was a 40 foot tall, very narrow fin that required you to stay in the Jeep tracks or go over the edge! Whew, it took some getting used to but by the end of the trip this would seem easy. I must say I'm glad i got the front trail camera. Made following the tracks when pointing up hill and only looking at sky much easier than looking out a window. Initially, i was very conservative and took all the easy routes but as the day wore on I would take a harder line (not the hardest line by any stretch but certainly not the easiest). My Jeep is awesome! I was always the limiting factor. it was great running the stock K02s aired down to 13-14 PSI. They seemed to stick as well as anyone else's tires. I even did MIckey's Hot Tub without a lot of difficulty (except I did it the easy way going down the steep side). Roy (@grimmjeeper) is a great teacher and spotter and walked me through it. I did slide about 2 feet near the bottom when going down but going up was just steady and didn't seem bad. We finished an awesome day going out a very washed-out exit that proved to be maybe the most difficult part of the day and it was a bit annoying as it was just mostly traversing exposed rocks and no slickrock. I will note that I did scrape the D-ring on my hitch receiver and had one other bump. Both were minor. i should have taken out the hitch receiver and I would not have rubbed. Lots of mentoring, spotting and coaching from Mike, Roy, Zeke, Robert and Mark. For a newbie, they made it much easier for me. Had a great dinner on the outdoor patio at the Blue Pig and finally met up with Sue @M_Pluto who was a day behind due to family commitments. Again nice to put a face to a name I have known and chatted with extensively on the forum.

To be continued...

Side Note
I got 16.9 MPG for the trip on 2,651 miles of driving. Some of that was the off-road driving and some of that was Idaho and Utah where the interstate speed limit was often 80 MPH. i never went much over 80 (80 to 83 cruise with occasional 85 to get around traffic).

Last edited: