Sponsored

Seat (dis)comfort - leather v cloth + Katzkin

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
Hi everyone.

We are 500 miles into ownership of our 20' JLU Sport S. I'm finding the driver's seat to be a bit uncomfortable. The seat overall is very stiff. The lumbar support is just not in a beneficial spot to assist, so it's causing a bit of a back ache.

Anyways - I've poked around looking for alternative seating solutions, and the real choices are limited to non-existent. I can't even find any wrecked JL part-outs to get OEM leather seats from a Sahara.

Anyways - I've been looking at the Katzkins and now I have questions before running towards that as an option:

Does anyone have any real world experience to compare the different trim level seats - leather vs cloth - as far as comfort and support? For example - anyone gone from a factory cloth JL to a factory leather JL or vv?

Is factory leather vs cloth identical as far as structure and the underlying foam go? I'm asking because if the answer is no - then I will keep poking around for a set of part-out leather Sahara seats. If the answer is yes - then it leads to the next question:

Will a factory cloth seat re-finished with Katzkin be more comfortable than the same seat with factory cloth?

Finally - has anyone gone so far as modifying the underlying foam used prior to re-skinning / covering?

Any and all input outside 'I don't know what you're talking about - I love my cloth seats' is welcome!
Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I've had the cloth and the leather. Neither was very comfortable for long trips due to the odd shape. If it becomes an issue I'll get a pro involved to reshape the leather I have..
I prefer the cloth, but the heated seats with cloth were extremely HOT even on the low setting.

OP
OP
TopsOff

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
I prefer the cloth, but the heated seats with cloth were extremely HOT even on the low setting.
The heated cloth seats really heat up nicely - that actually helps the lower back somewhat! I've heard they won't heat up as fast or as well with the leather?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You take your jeep to an upholstery shop and see about having them add more foam to the seats. Might need new skins but they can do that as well

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You take your jeep to an upholstery shop and see about having them add more foam to the seats. Might need new skins but they can do that as well
That would be my advise. It's not the cover of the seat, it's more the foam that would be giving you a problem. That being said, I have had Katzkin in an F-150, and I was very pleased with the quality. But again, I don't think it will solve your problem. Good luck.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I had Katzkin installed aftermarket to replace my cloth seats. The material is excellent. The stock padding stayed, so no discernible difference in ride. The heated seats are very poor with the Katzkin compared to the cloth. You can barely feel the heat on mine. I’m guessing it’s because the leather is so thick.

OP
OP
TopsOff

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
Having never worked with an upholstery shop....would replacing the padding with 'something softer' but retaining the original shape to support the OEM cloth or Katzkin be something that could even reasonably be done?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Having never worked with an upholstery shop....would replacing the padding with 'something softer' but retaining the original shape to support the OEM cloth or Katzkin be something that could even reasonably be done?
I would imagine it could be done but it would probably be a custom shop. I know when I was shopping for aftermarket seat covers I ran across a guy who could customize the entire seating but he was double the cost just for new covers compared to other standard shops. If you’re willing to pay, someone can do what you want.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im not sure. Not sure if there is softer foam but then it might be too squishy. Using more padding will alter the shape of the seat so you’d likely need new covers made. Best bet is to contact a couple shops in your area and go chat with them about what you want and what they advise. Hit up a couple shops to see what they say. Hopefully pretty much the same thing

Bearcatriz

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sahara
I am having same issue. Long drive are not good. Has anyone modified the drivers side seat?
Sponsored