Sponsored

Search and Rescue Miller Jeep Trail

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yesterday morning a Santa Barbara 4x4 club member reported in a group email there was a 4x4 guy from Bakerfield stuck on Miller Jeep Trail. He was posting on, unknown to me, SoCal Facebook forum requesting help. 4x4 guy was stuck over night, low on gas and had twisted ankle. I drove out the 2 hours and 85 back road miles to see if I could find him. I did met up with Ventura Cty. Deputy Steele who was going in looking for the reported stuck vehicle. Told him what little I knew(my info was 2hrs. old and no cell service). He said a 2nd S&R SXS was also heading in. I turned around and headed out . A hour or so later I met the #2 deputy who said deputy Steele located the vehicle but no driver. Later I heard from the S.B. 4x4 club member who got in contact with the stuck 4x4 guy, he hiked out and caught a ride out to Lebec. Also that he now says he rolled the 4x4. I spent the day and a tank of gas trying to help. That's what I did with my Wrangler yesterday.
Sponsored

Last edited:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Commendable effort!

When I bought my LJ, I promised myself I’d use it to help others; Jeeps just seem to be well-suited as service vehicles. There’s a restauranteur in St. Louis who still owes me dinner for taking him to pick up gas…

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
What makes you think he didn't call 911, or a non-emergency dispatch number?

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I saw the fb post, seems quite a few lately on Miller. Surprised it’s not closed yet, usually first sign of snow it’s closed for the winter.

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
I don't think you should have any negative ideas about it. Someone needed some help and you went out to handle it.
I wouldn't mind doing the same if I had the opportunity. I just drive out on long dusty roads for apparently no reason. It might be fun to have a goal instead.

Sponsored

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
... I have the stuck guys cell # but other than wondering what the real story is, I feel indifferent. Don't care to talk to him at all. Folks do stuff all the time that make me wonder WTF. Cheers
I saw the original Facebook post. I plotted the GPS coordinates from the UConnect screenshots and I saw that the location was in the creekbed of Lockwood Creek a long way from an authorized trail. I too wondered what he was doing there, and it might explain why the stranded vehicle operator did not contact any rangers or law enforcement for help.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Millers jeep is a gnarly trail. As a little tip, you can hike out and save a bunch of miles by following Piru Creek to Gold hill campground and hit the pavement to Hungry Valley. Hiking out to Lebec like wow!!

Another fun fact is if you are ever on Snowy Trail stuck, follow it to the bottom and that little creek is less than a mile to the 4x4 course ion Hungry Valley.

I saw the original Facebook post. I plotted the GPS coordinates from the UConnect screenshots and I saw that the location was in the creekbed of Lockwood Creek a long way from an authorized trail. I too wondered what he was doing there, and it might explain why the stranded vehicle operator did not contact any rangers or law enforcement for help.
Is Lockwood Creek closed? I used to take Long David via Lockwood Creek and never seen any signs stating otherwise? Of course all my motorized activities out that way were on 2 wheels.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I always carry my ZOLEO for this reason. You never know what can happen. Poor guy. Glad he’s okay.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Millers jeep is a gnarly trail. As a little tip, you can hike out and save a bunch of miles by following Piru Creek to Gold hill campground and hit the pavement to Hungry Valley. Hiking out to Lebec like wow!!

Another fun fact is if you are ever on Snowy Trail stuck, follow it to the bottom and that little creek is less than a mile to the 4x4 course ion Hungry Valley.

Is Lockwood Creek closed? I used to take Long David via Lockwood Creek and never seen any signs stating otherwise? Of course all my motorized activities out that way were on 2 wheels.
As far as I'm aware the creek itself was closed for vehicle travel a handful of years ago when the main jeep trail was relocated up onto the mountain rather than through the creek itself. A local hunter I ran into on the trail last year told me the story a while back that it was done by the forest service to help restore the creek wildlife or something - but I'm not a local to the Frazier Park area and may not have the whole story. My very first time through I mistakenly ended up trying to drive the creek after the first descent into the burn area and it's extremely overgrown and obvious a Jeep hasn't been through in ages.

Good tips on the hiking shortcuts - my first instinct would be to hike up to the end of Miller if I had gotten into trouble, but in reality it's still such a large distance to anything civilized from the top of Alamo mountain. I think I log something like 14 miles to return to the 5 south once I summit Miller. Just ran the trail yesterday for probably my 25th time since getting this Jeep in '19 and the 2 door really makes quick work of the Miller obstacles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Search and Rescue Miller Jeep Trail 9BF84BFB-0F92-416D-8194-E68721A53C16_1_102_o

I always carry my ZOLEO for this reason. You never know what can happen. Poor guy. Glad he’s okay.
I do this trail solo often and wouldn't feel alright about it without my InReach either. Good failsafe in case something does happen.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good on you Jesse!! Another trail out that way is Snowy. It starts at Kings Camp and empties out at the top of Alamo. It is a single track double black diamond. It is a serious stupid hard trail that climbs and then tight switchbacks drops into a creek bed lined with bricks.

In the late 90's I was on the trail crew led by BLM, Forestry Service, Sheriff, and some tree hugger dude. We had to reroute Snowy because of some stupid rare frog. I remember the ranger telling us if we run over one of those frogs bury it deep because the trail will be shut down if any are disturbed by our riding.

I have not been on any of those trails in years. Millers Jeep was one of the first hard trails I tackled on my XR600. It was even hard on a bike!!

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do this trail solo often and wouldn't feel alright about it without my InReach either. Good failsafe in case something does happen.
I have been a SPOT subscriber for almost 10 years now and hope I never have to use it. It is an eerie feeling being so far out and alone for sure!!

This was the road to Toroweep overlook a few years back. You are 50 miles to the nearest anything!! I might add it not the smartest to have the SPOT mounted on the bike. I was just plunking along and using it for marking tracks and checking in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Search and Rescue Miller Jeep Trail F50A0D64-6542-49F5-BE65-73A2919684A9
Jeep Wrangler JL Search and Rescue Miller Jeep Trail 0E548129-B88E-4A72-9D82-7D55A0AB732D

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I have been a SPOT subscriber for almost 10 years now and hope I never have to use it. It is an eerie feeling being so far out and alone for sure!!

This was the road to Toroweep overlook a few years back. You are 50 miles to the nearest anything!! I might add it not the smartest to have the SPOT mounted on the bike. I was just plunking along and using it for marking tracks and checking in.
My friend wrecked last summer in Arkansas. We had no cell coverage on three carriers, I hit her SOS button. First time using a spot for anything but checkins and tracking, worth every penny when you need medical and you need it now. Within minutes we had medical and they got there in time to tell the helicopter to go back.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My friend wrecked last summer in Arkansas. We had no cell coverage on three carriers, I hit her SOS button. First time using a spot for anything but checkins and tracking, worth every penny when you need medical and you need it now. Within minutes we had medical and they got there in time to tell the helicopter to go back.
SPOT also has an added service for towing. It will recover your vehicle on any road or trail that requires a plated vehicle.