Scrub radius

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
i cant remember if I asked this before or not but I don’t see much mention of scrub radius in wheel decisions.

A lot of the wide wheels I see have high negative offset. Why is this if it’s do bad in the handling?
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Dynatrac has an excellent video that discusses this issue. With your jeep parked turning the steering wheel back and forth your tires turn in an arc (picture a "C") would represent a wide wheel with poor scrub. The alternative would be your tires rotating in the center of the tread (picture tires rotating on a Dime in the center of the tread). The other aspect is that straight down the road there is less rotational forces being applied to the wheel (tends to track better in a straight line).... Sorry my description isn't verry good and didn't do the subject justice. Strongly suggest watching their video.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dynatrac has an excellent video that discusses this issue. With your jeep parked turning the steering wheel back and forth your tires turn in an arc (picture a "C") would represent a wide wheel with poor scrub. The alternative would be your tires rotating in the center of the tread (picture tires rotating on a Dime in the center of the tread). The other aspect is that straight down the road there is less rotational forces being applied to the wheel (tends to track better in a straight line).... Sorry my description isn't verry good and didn't do the subject justice. Strongly suggest watching their video.
Thank you. I will view it.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
it's a good question. my guess is that it doesn't get much attention because it is more difficult to understand than offset, and understanding wheel specs is difficult enough for most people. when you compound that with a wheel industry that is pumping out wheels that stick out farther (and many consumers who like that look), scrub radius and the implications it has on handling and component wear gets lost.

I can't say maintaining the correct scrub radius is necessarily a huge deal, but I went with AEV wheels because I knew they put a lot of time testing offsets to find the best combination of fit and performance. couldn't be happier with the offset (both from a looks and performance standpoint).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is a good topic for discussion, best to keep scrub radius as close to stock as possible for best on-road manners. Engineers design the steering geometry for best steering response for safe daily driving. If you start pushing the scrub radius far from where it's designed to function your road handing and safety can come into play. Now what would be the point where it starts to take a serious dive? That's the million dollar question :)
I'm not messing w/ my suspension as far as a lift and trying to keep my offset (and scrub radius) as close to stock as I find feasible, I've done the serious altered suspension and higher offset wheels, don't want to go down that path this time :)

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a good topic for discussion, best to keep scrub radius as close to stock as possible for best on-road manners. Engineers design the steering geometry for best steering response for safe daily driving. If you start pushing the scrub radius far from where it's designed to function your road handing and safety can come into play. Now what would be the point where it starts to take a serious dive? That's the million dollar question :)
I'm not messing w/ my suspension as far as a lift and trying to keep my offset (and scrub radius) as close to stock as I find feasible, I've done the serious altered suspension and higher offset wheels, don't want to go down that path this time :)
I thought if the wheel is kept as close in Under the fenders like stock as possible you’re good. It’s when you start pushing out you have issues? Is there calculate the changes you make? This is a very confusing subject

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
best to keep scrub radius as close to stock as possible for best on-road manners.
I agree, but would also like to point out that there are at least 3 different "stock" scrub radius values with the JL as the Sport, Sahara, & Rubicon all have different sized tires. I think that it scrub radius should be looked at as an acceptable range, and that exact OEM measurements are not ultimately necessary. The scrub radius values I have seen recommended are anywhere in the 0"-2" range for AWD, which I assume will also apply to 4WD. RWD only is 0"-3".

I'm not messing w/ my suspension as far as a lift and trying to keep my offset (and scrub radius) as close to stock as I find feasible
I think that it should also be noted that suspension lift (with a solid axle) does not have any effect on scrub radius (unless you count the minor changes from altering caster at the same time).

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Boy this is way beyond my conception. Thanks for the article. Hubby is better at understanding this stuff.
To be honest, it is a tough subject for me also. Here's the important bits I found from the article I posted above:

Increasing the scrub radius too much can cause wheel fight and twichyness under braking, especially on split friction surfaces and more sensitivity to bump steer.
From the way I understand it: if you consider just the drivers front tire encountering an obstacle at the direct center of the tire, with 0 scrub there will be no left/right turning reaction. With more scrub radius, the same obstacle will cause a lever-arm effect on that tire, which would then want to turn the tire counterclockwise. With a smooth surface or uniform left & right bumps, this is not noticed as the forces would cancel each other out.

Scrub radius is basically a way of measuring the lever arm distance between the center of the tire and the steering axis rotation point. A longer lever arm will have a greater effect. Zero lever arm will have zero effect.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Alright, I did some math. I read that the JK has a 12° steering axis angle, so I am assuming the JL is the same. If anyone has information that says otherwise, please let me know.

Below is the amount of offset that you would need to subtract in order to have scrub radius exactly the same as OEM (again, this is not necessarily ideal, just a good baseline). Also this does not take any clearance issues into account. FYI: OEM offset is 44mm

To match the Sport scrub radius:
31.5" tire baseline, 44mm offset
33" tire: -4mm, or 40mm offset
35" tire: -9.4mm, or 34.6 offset
37" tire: -14.8mm, or 29.2 offset
40" tire: -22.9mm, or 21.1 offset​

To match the Rubicon scrub radius:
33" tire baseline, 44mm offset
35" tire: -5.4mm, or 38.6 offset
37" tire: -10.8mm, or 33.2 offset
40" tire: -18.9mm, or 25.1 offset​

Last edited:
OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, I did some math. I read that the JK has a 12° steering axis angle, so I am assuming the JL is the same. If anyone has information that says otherwise, please let me know.

Below is the amount of offset that you would need to subtract in order to have scrub radius exactly the same as OEM (again, this is not necessarily ideal, just a good baseline). Also this does not take any clearance issues into account. FYI: OEM offset is 44mm

To match the Sport scrub radius:
31.5" tire baseline, 44mm offset
33" tire: -4mm, or 40mm offset
35" tire: -9.4mm, or 34.6 offset
37" tire: -14.8mm, or 29.2 offset
40" tire: -22.9mm, or 21.1 offset​

To match the Rubicon scrub radius:
33" tire baseline, 44mm offset
35" tire: -5.4mm, or 38.6 offset
37" tire: -10.8mm, or 33.2 offset
40" tire: -18.9mm, or 25.1 offset​
Interesting. The JL Rubicon axles are wider than the jk. I guess maybe that throws the numbers off a bit. I don’t know. So for a 35 inch tire you would have to deduct 5.4 mm? I’m running now -12 offset do that’s way, way different

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Interesting. The JL Rubicon axles are wider than the jk. I guess maybe that throws the numbers off a bit. I don’t know.
Axle width actually isn't a component when strictly looking at scrub radius. It is all about the relation of the steering axis ground intersection point vs. the center of the tire's contact patch.

So for a 35 inch tire you would have to deduct 5.4 mm? I’m running now -12 offset do that’s way, way different
Yes, that is correct. To have close to OEM scrub radius with 35" tires on a Rubicon, you would need wheels with offset close to 38.6mm. With -10 offset wheels, you have somewhere around 1.91" more scrub radius than the OEM Rubicon.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Axle width actually isn't a component when strictly looking at scrub radius. It is all about the relation of the steering axis ground intersection point vs. the center of the tire's contact patch.

Yes, that is correct. To have close to OEM scrub radius with 35" tires on a Rubicon, you would need wheels with offset close to 38.6mm. With -10 offset wheels, you have somewhere around 1.91" more scrub radius than the OEM Rubicon.
I dunno how feasible it is to have a 38.6 mm offset with 35s. Maybe those who use the stock wheels can achieve that. But certainly shows me that the high negative offsets are asking for trouble.
Thank you for all the math!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think that it should also be noted that suspension lift (with a solid axle) does not have any effect on scrub radius (unless you count the minor changes from altering caster at the same time).
Didn't mean to lump a lift kit w/ scrub radius, I was just saying that I'm keeping my Jeep @ Stock height so I won't introduce new sets of issues, AND keeping my scrub radius as close to stock as I can w/ my 8.5 +10 on 295/70s. It's going to be off, but not overly so, and this wheel I liked best in the +10. Ideally I could go in another 15-20 mm from the room I have at lock to lock, so if they had them in a +25 I think I'd have gone that route.

Great job (and resource) you've put together here!
Sponsored