Screwed up my bumper powder coat - fix?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Hi - I have the Rubi steel bumper. While reinstalling the steel end caps, I overtightened a bolt and crinkled the powdercoat around the bolt and even slightly exposed some of the bare steel where it split in two right around the bolt edges. I dabbed on some black satin Rustoleum so I don’t think it will rust. But it looks like crap and, even though nobody else will notice it, I know it’s there and my eyes go to it every single time. I’m hoping for cheap fix options...

1. Can I sand the powder coat down smooth right around the bolt hole where it crInkled and ripped, and hit it with some sweeping satin black Rustoleum so that it matches the rest of the end cap or is powder coat too difficult to sand down?

2. If I were to take the single end cap to a powder coat place, how much do you think they’d charge me to hit it with a fresh coat of satin black powder coat to match?

3. Worst case scenario, I found replacement end caps for 180 but that’s last resort and it’s not that big a deal.

I know many of you are thinking “It’s a bumper, who cares?!” But if I can self-repair or get it hit fairly cheap, I’d be open to putting in the few hours of work or paying a few bucks to fix.

Thoughts?
Jeep Wrangler JL Screwed up my bumper powder coat - fix? 1D4405EF-9733-4951-825C-938E977E4CBD
Sponsored

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is helpful - Thanks. You think it matches better than Rustoleum Satin then? I’ve had good luck with that matching my former JK’s OEM rails sheen-wise, but I was touching up already textured areas versus adding a matching texture. I’ll take a look!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'd try option 1, just be aware powder coat tends to flake better than it sands in those cracked areas, be prepared for a larger repair area than you initially thought most likely.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I'd toss the end caps. At least, that's what I did and I didn't have damage that I was dealing with.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd try option 1, just be aware powder coat tends to flake better than it sands in those cracked areas, be prepared for a larger repair area than you initially thought most likely.
That’s helpful to know - Thanks. My weekend project now!

Sponsored

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd toss the end caps. At least, that's what I did and I didn't have damage that I was dealing with.

Later,
Johnny
I like the stubby look and ran that way with two of my JKs. I thought about it and may consider it more seriously now! FL drivers are challenging and I like the daily extra protection from fender benders at the grocery store, etc. But I love the openness of the stubby bumper look!

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to those of you who helped out with guidance and advice.

A minor repair results in major satisfaction!
Jeep Wrangler JL Screwed up my bumper powder coat - fix? inCollage_20200716_181150828
Jeep Wrangler JL Screwed up my bumper powder coat - fix? 1D4405EF-9733-4951-825C-938E977E4CBD
Jeep Wrangler JL Screwed up my bumper powder coat - fix? IMG_20200716_143815

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

looks good. not to go off topic, are those the street legal fog lights from baja. if so how do you like them and how are they while driving with them in the fog.

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks good. not to go off topic, are those the street legal fog lights from baja. if so how do you like them and how are they while driving with them in the fog.
They are Baja’s SAE street legal ones. Unfortunately, just installed them two days ago so haven’t really tested them out and can’t give you a personal review yet. Reviews say they’re better/brighter than LED OEMs but still not blinding like the Sport and Pro models are. That’s how I damaged the powder coat - I took the end caps off to better access the fogs for the removal/install, and upon reinstalling the end caps, I overtightened and jacked it up. I’ll let you know once I have some experience with them!
Sponsored